Smitty

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
Plains Game
Hi everyone. Unfortunately, my planned Utah hunt is not happening this year so I am suddenly in a mad scramble to find an alternative at the last minute.

I am just asking for a little help with what to apply for and where to go. I am hoping to go with my friend for either a cow elk or a combo cow elk/deer hunt, public land DYI. Or private for a reasonable trespass fee. Most likely Idaho or Wyoming, but open to suggestions.

Just a simple, low pressure trip to relax and enjoy. I am NOT asking anyone to give up their secret spot, or expecting a huge buck, just an idea where I could get a last minute tag in an area with a decent amount of public access and tag availability.

I would appreciate any information as it is hard to get a last minute tag when you don't know where to go.

Thank you for your help.

Smitty

Hi Smitty, as you mentioned time is running short. Deadline for Wyoming is June 1 at midnight and Idaho deadline is June 5.
In the Idaho Big Game Regs there is a Population Status map for elk. Two actually, one for bull and one for cow. I would choose a unit that is above population objective and apply for a cow tag. Season dates vary, so choose a hunt that fits the time of year you want to hunt.
Be advised, both mule deer and whitetail populations are in bad shape in many areas of the state, so temper any expectations with this knowledge, but you can buy an over the counter tag for deer and at least be prepared should the opportunity arise. And I would make sure you have a bear and a wolf tag in your pocket as well.
As for Wyoming, I can’t really help you there. I am sure there are good opportunities in Wyoming for both deer and elk.
Good luck!

Hi Smitty, as you mentioned time is running short. Deadline for Wyoming is June 1 at midnight and Idaho deadline is June 5.
In the Idaho Big Game Regs there is a Population Status map for elk. Two actually, one for bull and one for cow. I would choose a unit that is above population objective and apply for a cow tag. Season dates vary, so choose a hunt that fits the time of year you want to hunt.
Be advised, both mule deer and whitetail populations are in bad shape in many areas of the state, so temper any expectations with this knowledge, but you can buy an over the counter tag for deer and at least be prepared should the opportunity arise. And I would make sure you have a bear and a wolf tag in your pocket as well.
As for Wyoming, I can’t really help you there. I am sure there are good opportunities in Wyoming for both deer and elk.
Good luck!

Thank you IdaRam, I appreciate the input. I am looking. I am going to look at Idaho, but seeing as the deadline is upon me, I am going to try and figure out Wyoming tonight. I have a feeling Idaho will be where I end up.
I have my eye on a couple of units. I just need to figure out if there is public land available for me to hunt. I saw one unit that shows open, but the National Forest property is closed, and the tags are only good within 1 mile of private land? Seems strange so I have to do some more thinking on that one. Thank you for your reply, I do appreciate your taking the time. I didn't even know about the table with over population areas, so that helps alot.

Yeah, regarding the cow tags with requirement of private land or within 1 mile of Ag land, those are generally intended to either allow private land owners to keep elk off their agricultural land by allowing hunters to pursue them, or in the case of the 1 mile restriction it allows hunters to chase the elk on public land near the agricultural land. Pretty much deterrent or depredation management strategy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eye4aneye

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!