I want a Howdah pistol

EDELWEISS

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
US, Canada, Middle East(does that count)
Ive had this reoccurring urge for a "modern" Howdah pistol. Modern in the sense that it uses readily available ammo; but still performs in the original role as a close range "stopper", think fishing in bear country, or hunting Wild Boar with a bow, or maybe asking car jackers to choose another victim....

I have one of the Pedersoli Howdah's. Its nice enough for what it is and I think it fits some of the above scenarios(?); but I want a cartridge version. Ive been tempted by some of the "sawed off" shotguns; but never quite enough to make the leap, mostly because the grip design isnt really a pistol grip--and Im not sure I really want a shotgun. Although I suppose I could live with 28ga slugs if it was loaded in brass shells (410 doesnt seem enuf' and 20ga seems too big for too little???)

Im not sure what cartridge Id want, Im open to options. I toyed with 45-70; but maybe 500SW?

Im open to an O/U design, even though SxS is more traditional (O/U is easier to holster). I do like hammers but a hammerless design is cleaner....

Anybody else secretly longing for a Howdah?

The Freedom Arms 454 Casull revolver should do the job. Much lighter than the Rugers too. Don't kick too bad as long as you get one with a 7.5" barrel. My friend has one and it's very accurate and fun to shoot.

One of those shotgun deals would be cool. The 500 SW is a brute!
image.jpg

But so is the Judge! A brute that is.
image.jpg

I have a Freedom Arms 454. Its cool, no doubt there; but its not a Howdah, OK maybe it is; but its not the Howdah I want.... I thought about a T/C Contender or Encore--if theyd only make one in some suitable fireplugesque cartridge--it wouldnt be perfect but close. Oh and a SxS or O/U just might be perfect

You could have a custom builder make you one, but it wouldn't be cheap and would take a 1-3 year's or so to get it done. I can think of a guy that could do one. PM me if you would like his contact information.

So is this what you're looking for? Just got on the web site and searched, no knowledge of or relation to the seller.

http://www.gunsinternational.com/gu...itish-made-howdah-pistol.cfm?gun_id=100599427

View attachment 158266
That is a big period pistol, but not what is traditionally considered a "Howdah". The convention for a Howdah was a bore caliber pistol with two barrels - usually SxS but occasionally OU like the one in "Ghost and the Darkness". Most also had a ring in the pistol grip to hang it (normally a brace of them) from the howdah platform interior. This big man-stopper, on the other hand, was meant to be carried as a travelling pistol or as a private purchase military arm for a British officer.

The weapon below is a traditional Howdah. It is a Belgian-made percussion SxS in roughly .70 cal or 14 bore. Note it has the attachment ring. And no, I have never had the nerve to fire it!

full

full

Howdah's tend to be very utilitarian pistols. They were banged around a lot in hard climates. I saw beautiful London made gun a few years ago, which was one of a pair ordered by an Indian noble in the mid 19th century. It was profusely engraved, but the utilitarian lines were the same.

Last edited by a moderator:
I believe I will pass. A 14 ga. SxS pistol?, Yes I am sure!

Im thinking a couple Encores or Contenders in say 500SW might scratch the itch--or maybe make it worse???

I have the Pedersoli Howdah. Its nice but, its not what I want. Perhaps if the grip had been better designed, I might have more love for it. As it stands, its the best commercially available-because its the ONLY commercially available Howdah. The available stock is a nice option for the SBR/SBS effect.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
richardparker

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross