Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
Saskatchewan Wildlife Federation, Saskatoon Gun Dog Club
Hunted
Canada, USA, Germany, South Africa, Namibia, Zimbabwe
I’ve been doing some practise shooting and fine-tuning handloads for my Beretta Silver Sable 9.3x74R. My hand loads can’t quite match this level of accuracy yet, but when Norma factory loaded 286gr. Oryx shoot this well, I’m not concerned. I may simply choose to hunt with factory loads from now on. 6 shots at 100M. Shot under-over, check target, shoot another two, check target and shot final two. I didn’t think double rifles were capable of this kind of accuracy!

421D8CE7-536A-4E2A-8DB4-9E35428E534D.jpeg
8A02638D-E294-4D15-94D5-CEBD80CA5C3A.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Beautiful rifle and excellent group as well.
Color me jealous.

What are your hunting plans for this one?

Elk, moose and bear near home, but not sure about the next African hunting safari. If normal life reappears after this virus and plans proceed as we hope, I will be in Zimbabwe with Charlton-McCallum 2021 but can't bring it with me there anyway.

Elk, moose and bear near home, but not sure about the next African hunting safari. If normal life reappears after this virus and plans proceed as we hope, I will be in Zimbabwe with Charlton-McCallum 2021 but can't bring it with me there anyway.
Why can't you bring it?
Need a bigger caliber/energy level for what you are hunting?

It would be perfect for Eland, but it's not legal to bring firearms into Zimbabwe from Canada.

...all quite interesting...but is that a Kifaru tent in your profile pic?

Why yes it is, somewhere near Dease Lake BC on a quest for mountain caribou

It would be perfect for Eland, but it's not legal to bring firearms into Zimbabwe from Canada.

How many Canadian hunters actually pay attention to that, especially if transiting through RSA?

That is great shooting and yes it is ready. Too bad you can't take your own rifle to Zimbabwe! Some of the enjoyment of hunting anyplace is the satisfaction of having your own gear, especially guns that you have practiced with. Good luck with your plans

Beautiful rifle! I'm a Beretta guy on shotguns and this rifle looks like a lot of fun.

That is a nice grouping!

It works as planned! Shot two young male black bears a couple days ago, just minutes apart. They were trouble makers doing some damage at my sister in laws cabin in the Saskatchewan wilds. Range was roughly 100M for both, one shot with the help of a rest on sticks and one offhand. Both heart shots. Results were very decisive. This rifle is a "forever keeper"!
IMG_2930.jpg

Longwalker that is a beautiful rifle, the wood is really nice. Did it come with scope mounts or did you fit them? I notice there is quite a drop at the heel, is that a challenge for eye alignment with the scope?

Kevin, it came with Recknagel mounts. They are very precise and work perfectly. Return to zero every time they’re removed. I thought the same as you at first about the stock drop at heel, but it is no problem for me. I will never shoot this rifle from prone, and from standing, sticks or kneeling it aligns naturally and quickly for me. But then I’m accustomed to stocks made for iron sights but used with a scope. I do not require the “cheek weld” that so many seem to think is important for accurate field shooting. Firm contact with my jaw is OK too.

I’ve been doing some practise shooting and fine-tuning handloads for my Beretta Silver Sable 9.3x74R. My hand loads can’t quite match this level of accuracy yet, but when Norma factory loaded 286gr. Oryx shoot this well, I’m not concerned. I may simply choose to hunt with factory loads from now on. 6 shots at 100M. Shot under-over, check target, shoot another two, check target and shot final two. I didn’t think double rifles were capable of this kind of accuracy!

View attachment 344704 View attachment 344705
Great double rifle.

"I didn’t think double rifles were capable of this kind of accuracy!"

Longwalker- I know what you mean, this .470NE is my first "real double" and the more familiar I get with it, the more I am surprised by it's accuracy, especially after having the stock fitted to me.

My best group yet.

Best yet.jpg

Longwalker, I think the normal practice is to connect through Jo’Burg on two separate tickets to deal with the firearm issue. I may be wrong but I believe that is how some are handling it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JacobI313

Latest profile posts

Looking to hire Odoo developers in UAE, USA In o2b technologies has skilled and experienced Odoo developers at competitive pricing Consult Now!

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!