YancyW

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA, SCI, RMEF, Ducks Unlimited
4 shot group today from my 338 wm, I think I can stop messing with it. Ready for Africa in a couple weeks.

IMG_4581.HEIC.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd just move it to the left and leave it at that height.

That is right where I have my .340 Weatherby sighted in. 2 1/2" high at 100 yards, makes it real deadly out over 400 yards without any holdover.

I'd just move it to the left and leave it at that height.

That is right where I have my .340 Weatherby sighted in. 2 1/2" high at 100 yards, makes it real deadly out over 400 yards without any holdover.

This is a 225gr bullet running around 2920fps, so pretty hot, but as accurate as I can get anything to shoot, so I am pretty happy. If I am 2" at 100, I am dead on at 225 and 5.5 low at 300. There is no chance I am going to shoot past that off sticks.

This is a 225gr bullet running around 2920fps, so pretty hot, but as accurate as I can get anything to shoot, so I am pretty happy. If I am 2" at 100, I am dead on at 225 and 5.5 low at 300. There is no chance I am going to shoot past that off sticks.

I have the Barnes 225 TTSX at 3000 fps, you will really enjoys yours at 2920 fps.

I just wish that I could recover a bullet to see just how it performs, all the animals that I have ever shot with it have been complete pass through one shot kills except for a couple of animals that I screwed up on.

Yancy, depending on what ranges you are likely to be shooting, I agree with JimP's assessment. For sure that is one hell of a group. Where and what will you be hunting in Africa?

Excellent grouping! I am also taking a 338 win to Namibia next August.

This makes me want to play around with a few loads. Do you mind sharing what you are using?

That is an awesome group and a 225gn .338 projectile at 2920fps will do the number on nearly anything.
All the best for your trip - you've got a great cartridge that I'm sure will be up to the job (y)

P.S. I love my .338 ...

Russ

That is not good enough for such an important trip and you will need a 375 H&H or 416 Rigby.

You need to sell the rifle and start over. I was planning on buying a 338 WM and so I will take it off your hands for a reduced price. I will give you a fair deal for this non-shooter.

Seriously, great group. You are good to go with a little adjustment! Have a blast.

@YancyW
What range. A few clicks left and none down to give two the best PBR.
Bob

Bob, that was 100 yards, I shot a 200 yard group today that was still under an inch. I am going with 2" high at 100 yards, that's under 6" drop at 300. This is primarily an Eland trip.

Yancy, depending on what ranges you are likely to be shooting, I agree with JimP's assessment. For sure that is one hell of a group. Where and what will you be hunting in Africa?

I am hunting East Cape with Marius, @KMG Hunting Safaris. I was supposed to be going on the group last spring, but several covid delays cause most of that to fall apart, after Marius extending the hunt for me for well over a year, I think we are good to go.

Excellent grouping! I am also taking a 338 win to Namibia next August.

This makes me want to play around with a few loads. Do you mind sharing what you are using?

225gr Accubond, Reloader 19, very close to max charge. Dakota 76 with a 24" barrel.

I was lucky and bought a bunch of powder before the craze, IMR 4350 also was just as good, RL 19 was the last I tried and just stayed with it.

Bob, that was 100 yards, I shot a 200 yard group today that was still under an inch. I am going with 2" high at 100 yards, that's under 6" drop at 300. This is primarily an Eland trip.
@YancyW
Perfect just be ok ngGold it across a few clicks as nd spot on. It amazes me how the bigger calibers can group at times.
Bob

225gr Accubond, Reloader 19, very close to max charge. Dakota 76 with a 24" barrel.

I was lucky and bought a bunch of powder before the craze, IMR 4350 also was just as good, RL 19 was the last I tried and just stayed with it.
Thanks for the info! I have Barnes tsx and h4350 stock piled but several boxes of norma oryx to try.

Thanks for the info! I have Barnes tsx and h4350 stock piled but several boxes of norma oryx to try.

I was in Namibia a couple years ago, I think a 338 win mag is a great choice. Plenty of horsepower all around, but easy to stretch out a bit in that open country.

I was in Namibia a couple years ago, I think a 338 win mag is a great choice. Plenty of horsepower all around, but easy to stretch out a bit in that open country.
Good to hear! I was going to take one of my 300 wsm but after adding on Eland in the Kalahari I decided to take the 338.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LucaFitzgi

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross