i picked up this very nice 77 ruger uls tang safety with sights in 3006.

leslie hetrick

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
several sporting clubs
Hunted
several
i went to a auction with a friend who wanted to look at a few ruger# 1,s up for sale and i picked up this very nice 77 ruger uls in 3006 for 500.00 USD and my friend picked up a like new ruger #1 B in .257 roberts for 1075.00 USD. i shot a three shot 2.5" group at 100 yards from a good rest useing the factory open sights with my favorite load for the 3006, 57 grs imr 4350 with a 165 gr nosler bullet. with a 4x leupold added i,m hoping it will do a little better, i know more shots will likely open the groups up quite a bit, but for the fairly close ranges i intend to hunt i think three good shots will be enough.

DSCN0853.JPG
DSCN0854.JPG
DSCN0855.JPG
DSCN0856.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Great find!

leslie,
odds are that it will group better with a scope.
56/57 gns 4350 with a 165 gn bullet is a fine all rounder.
165 gn sierras are also a good bullet, with the hp being a bit harder than the soft point.
add a barnes in that weight range and things are looking versatile.
bruce.

Nice gun for sure! It will shoot 165 gr bullets ok, but I bet it will love 150's.

Nice rifle. I like those Ruger rifles with the tang safety and the beefy iron sights. Looks like a carbine length from the photo, how long is the barrel on that one?

@leslie hetrick
That is an absolutely magnificent looking .30-06 Springfield . Is it a push feed action or a control round feed action ? My personal favorite factory load for the .30-06 , happens to be the 220 grain Remington Core Lokt . Among hand loads , I am quite fond of 200 grain Woodleigh protected points and Accurate 2230 gunpowder ( although I hear that Winchester 760 works equally well ) .

Congratulations , once more .

It is indeed a great find sir! Enjoy.

its a semi controlled feed-extracton, a shell is pushed into the chamber and as the bolt is closed the long extractor grips the shell head and extracts the case. however you can get a double feed if you start the feed and pull the bolt back before chambering and trying to push the next shell in.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CharlineDu

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross