i picked up this very nice 77 ruger uls tang safety with sights in 3006.

leslie hetrick

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
several sporting clubs
Hunted
several
i went to a auction with a friend who wanted to look at a few ruger# 1,s up for sale and i picked up this very nice 77 ruger uls in 3006 for 500.00 USD and my friend picked up a like new ruger #1 B in .257 roberts for 1075.00 USD. i shot a three shot 2.5" group at 100 yards from a good rest useing the factory open sights with my favorite load for the 3006, 57 grs imr 4350 with a 165 gr nosler bullet. with a 4x leupold added i,m hoping it will do a little better, i know more shots will likely open the groups up quite a bit, but for the fairly close ranges i intend to hunt i think three good shots will be enough.

DSCN0853.JPG
DSCN0854.JPG
DSCN0855.JPG
DSCN0856.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

bruce moulds

AH legend
Reaction score
leslie,
odds are that it will group better with a scope.
56/57 gns 4350 with a 165 gn bullet is a fine all rounder.
165 gn sierras are also a good bullet, with the hp being a bit harder than the soft point.
add a barnes in that weight range and things are looking versatile.
bruce.

jduckhunter

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Australia/NZ
Member of
DU, JSA, NAHC( Life member), NRA (Life member)
Hunted
Namibia, Zimbabwe, USA (PA ,WY,TX,MT,AK,NJ,DE,VA,WV,SD,MA,NC,FL,MD) Canada (QC,NF,ON,NT,NWT,BC), New Zealand
Nice gun for sure! It will shoot 165 gr bullets ok, but I bet it will love 150's.

DmacD

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
Canada, U.S.A., Namibia, England
Nice rifle. I like those Ruger rifles with the tang safety and the beefy iron sights. Looks like a carbine length from the photo, how long is the barrel on that one?

Professor Mawla

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Articles
@leslie hetrick
That is an absolutely magnificent looking .30-06 Springfield . Is it a push feed action or a control round feed action ? My personal favorite factory load for the .30-06 , happens to be the 220 grain Remington Core Lokt . Among hand loads , I am quite fond of 200 grain Woodleigh protected points and Accurate 2230 gunpowder ( although I hear that Winchester 760 works equally well ) .

Congratulations , once more .

CAustin

Bronze supporter
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Courtney Hunting Club, NRA Life Member, SCI Kansas City Chapter
Hunted
South Africa, KwaZulu Natal, Kalahari, Northwest, Limpopo, Gauteng, APNR Kruger Area. USA Georgia, South Carolina, Arkansas, New Mexico, North Carolina and Texas
It is indeed a great find sir! Enjoy.

leslie hetrick

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
several sporting clubs
Hunted
several
its a semi controlled feed-extracton, a shell is pushed into the chamber and as the bolt is closed the long extractor grips the shell head and extracts the case. however you can get a double feed if you start the feed and pull the bolt back before chambering and trying to push the next shell in.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Magnificent 7

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Tally-Ho Hunting Safaris wrote on jfowler812's profile.
hi Mr fowler

im happy to do these deals for 2021

i will knock off 10% off each deal if you take 2 so $18000 per package

look forward to your response

regards
Mule deer and Colorado elk seasons almost done! Hunters driving farm roads, looking for racks, their PH driving them along, I ask that you not pull into my drive. The buck behind me, on the boundary line of the GMU somehow knows. The hunter laughs, I would invite you in to see my Searcy rifles but social distancing prevails, darkness arrives and the buck slides away into secret tree grove...
Boyd Brooks wrote on Skinnersblade's profile.
Ellwood Epps has 1 box of 25-20 in stock. Look them up on the web. They are located in Orilla Ontario.
Lkhntr wrote on Warpig602's profile.
On the vx6 2-12 what does the zl2 stand for?

Thanks, Oliver