Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA Life, Handloaders Anonymous
Hunted
USA, South Africa, Zimbabwe
I purchased a Kalispell aluminum gun case about 15 years ago.

I think I have only flown with it a couple times over the years...preferring to drive to my destinations.

So, in preparation for my safari next May, I figured I better get that puppy staged...

I can't find it! I checked with both brothers who might have it...nope. Nowhere to be found.

In its place I found a Doskocil plastic case - one of their better ones I guess, as it has a pressure valve and appears sturdy. I have absolutely no idea where this case came from. I did not buy it!

So, assuming I cannot find my Kalispell, I am thinking I should get a Pelican?

Anyone have any experience or thoughts on this case that I found in my closet (found one like it for sale):

http://www.armslist.com/posts/1663696/wichita-kansas-gun-safes-for-sale--doskocil-hard-gun-case

Pelican or a Tuffpak.

I used a tuffpak and my cousin used a pelican. My rifle hadn't moved a centimeter when I shot it in Zim. I know some people don't like the "wrapping with clothes" idea, but I'm sold. It is so nice that you can carry things other than just your rifle, especially since you have to put your ammo in a separate case.

Whatever you decide Tim I would be careful with a normal plastic case. You just hear too many horror stories. Besides, I've seen that .300, way too pretty to mess up!!!

Thanks for the opine Royal.

WIth the Tuffpack, how do you keep the rifle from sliding fore and aft? Do you need to put some closed-cell foam at the top and bottom, or does it come with some already in place?

What if you have to pull the rifle to show the serial number? Is it a pain to re-pack?

How about two rifles? I still might end up bringing the .375 too! :)

So when you pack the rifle you leave it in its soft case and then pack clothes or jackets around that, which keeps it from sliding around. It will pack much more tightly than you will think. It isn't going anywhere. They also sell a "tuffsack" that is like a duffle bag. This way you can pack everything outside of the case and then just slide it all in.

It will easily hold two scoped rifles. No problem. Ive done it. And as far as serial numbers you can just remove the end, up zip your soft case and pull the gun out just far enough to see the serial numbers, then slide it back in. It couldn't be easier.

They arent cheap, but they will last a lifetime I believe. I also like that I don't need to do different cutouts for different rifles. I just put in the rifle and gear I want. I took my own shooting sticks in there too.

They actually say you can fit three scoped rifles and you probably can although you wouldn't be able to pack much else in it. For me the extra packing space is a Hugh plus.

50 lbs is the airline limit, correct?

I probably will not be able to get myself to fly with the Doskocil. Just wish I knew how it got into my closet!

50 lbs is the airline limit, correct?

I probably will not be able to get myself to fly with the Doskocil. Just wish I knew how it got into my closet!

Correct _50 lbs. Tuffpak weighs 18, so that gives you some extra room even with 2 guns.

How come a really nice one never magically appears? It is always the cheap one! LOL

Oh boy....confession time!

I found it!

This is what happens when you allow a large closet in a spare room to become a dumping ground. I found the case buried among boxes, rolls of old upholstery fabric and only God knows what else. This was after my wife and I had both looked in this closet several times!

I need to purge that closet!

(dang...I was kinda digging the idea of a Tuffpak!)

Just think that money can now buy another animal or towards my plane ticket.LOL My skb has done well for us on all are trips.

Just think that money can now buy another animal or towards my plane ticket.LOL My skb has done well for us on all are trips.

I was kinda thinking your plane ticket. After all, someone has to carry my rifle and Loodt says forgettaboutit!

I wish I could say I'd never lost anything like that...

I think you should still get the tuffpak though. Start billc in it head first and push on his feet pretty good and I bet he can be made to fit. Just drill an airhole at the bottom and you'll be set. ;)

I wish I could say I'd never lost anything like that...

I think you should still get the tuffpak though. Start billc in it head first and push on his feet pretty good and I bet he can be made to fit. Just drill an airhole at the bottom and you'll be set. ;)

I just hope SAP can find his serial number when the time comes! :)

I just hope SAP can find his serial number when the time comes! :)
Just put it on his forehead with a leather punch and small hammer - billc

Just put it on his forehead with a leather punch and small hammer - billc

Might have to harden that punch first....we all know how hard Bill's head is! :ROFLMAO::LOL::D

Meanwhile, Bill is hard at work trying to come up with a good response........

Meanwhile, Bill is hard at work trying to come up with a good response........

It has been 50 minutes and no biting remarks, nor telling us where to go yet.

I'm worried... I hope he's ok... ;)

I use a Cabela's two gun metal case with foam inserts. It has rollers and an external shelf to stack you pack on. Four snap locks with center hole for security rods to go through. Then it requires two pad locks to secure or one if you purchase the single rod.......I have both types .
I've made the trip across the water a couple of times and the rifles did not move at all. Scopes were still zeroed in just fine. The foam inside is very thick and on one side is in two layers that are removable depending on the gun you travel with.
It runs about $200 and is solid as a rock. For what it's worth Tarbe I saw three just like it at OR Tambo on my last trip

I think you guys are all wrong about Billc.... First off, you don't want to put his serial number on his head when your going to stuff him in head first 'cause then you'de have to pull him all the way out to read it! When traveling and dealing with all these things, you've got to think ahead.... Tattoo the number on his ass so you don't need to pull him all the way back out.

Now you know he is having a real tough time trying to decide if he should try to respond with some quip.... When he is really holding out hope you can really get him in there so he can get back to hunt some more!

I think you guys are all wrong about Billc.... First off, you don't want to put his serial number on his head when your going to stuff him in head first 'cause then you'de have to pull him all the way out to read it! When traveling and dealing with all these things, you've got to think ahead.... Tattoo the number on his ass so you don't need to pull him all the way back out.

Now you know he is having a real tough time trying to decide if he should try to respond with some quip.... When he is really holding out hope you can really get him in there so he can get back to hunt some more!

Sage advice as always ActionBob... so obvious that we just didn't see it....

ICC makes those cases for Cabelas. I bought one of the Cabelas 2nd's because it was first line quality but last years model. It was much cheaper than from Cabelas. It even had the Cabelas nameplate. Before that I bought a ICC 2 gun case with rollers.
We took out one of the foam inserts and put clothes in place of the insert. Also a cleaning rod which I did not need. Made it much better to bring extra stuff back in our checked bags and carry-on bags. Also allowed us to take over more candy and hats/etc for the tracker and other help when hunting. The candy was a big hit with the help and even the PH/owner. I liked some of his candy and he really enjoyed some of the stuff I brought.

I suggest anyone considering the Cabelas cases to check with ICC before buying. I like their cases and also have 2 custom ones for my 50bmg rifles. They are one rugged case.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CharlieRiggs

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross