I love my new gun!!!!!!!!!!

I like three shot zeros a lot better when they are followed by five shot celebration groups. Eases the mind and takes away doubt.
@Forrest Halley
I have used 3 shot groups for years. When hunting if you need more than 3 shots at game you need to go back to shooting school.
I also Chechnya mygrops at longer ranges as we all should.
Bob

@Forrest Halley
I have used 3 shot groups for years. When hunting if you need more than 3 shots at game you need to go back to shooting school.
I also Chechnya mygrops at longer ranges as we all should.
Bob
A three shot group is different than a three shot zero. There's a lot going into a 300 meter shot and you're really making an assumption based on the spread at that distance. It may take me three rounds to get it dialed to center, but I will always verify with more rounds. I'd hate to have a fluke make me think I'd done it all right and then find out differently in the field.

A three shot group is different than a three shot zero. There's a lot going into a 300 meter shot and you're really making an assumption based on the spread at that distance. It may take me three rounds to get it dialed to center, but I will always verify with more rounds. I'd hate to have a fluke make me think I'd done it all right and then find out differently in the field.
@Forrest Halley
That's,why I check at 200 yards and if the range allows at longer ranges.
Usually If'n it's groups where you want at 200 yards with a good balistic program you can work it out pretty well buy inputting the projectiles BC, chronoed velocity, scope height above the bore and what height it is at 200 yards. With this information you can have sight settings as far as you need.
I do this and tape a little chart on my scope for ranges out to either 4 or 500 yards. Not that I shoot that far except at the range. It builds confidence if you can regularly hit 600 mil drink bottles at that distance. Yes there are people that can do the same at a lot longer ranges but I'm happy with what my rifle and I can do if we have to.
Bob

For that I like to take shots at a few ranges and find out what the gun is doing vs. What the machine is saying it should. I haven't actually done that with a new rifle in a few years. The Lott drops like a rock and the blackout is a short range cartridge.

458 Lott is great at 200. Even with the 500 gr. Good enough for whitetails anyways.

Love the 25/06 for whitetails. Ever since I worked up a nice load out to 600 yards all my shots have been inside 50.
@machinistbutler
I know the feeling you get a nice flat shooting 25 and 98% of your shots are at 200 and less a nd more than likely 150 or less. But it is nice to know you c a n do better if you have to. My 25 loves the 100grain Barnes TTSX, 115 grain nosler combined technology silver tips and the 117 grain SST. With any of these it groups less than an inch at 200 yards.
What load are you using in your 25.
Bob

@machinistbutler
I know the feeling you get a nice flat shooting 25 and 98% of your shots are at 200 and less a nd more than likely 150 or less. But it is nice to know you c a n do better if you have to. My 25 loves the 100grain Barnes TTSX, 115 grain nosler combined technology silver tips and the 117 grain SST. With any of these it groups less than an inch at 200 yards.
What load are you using in your 25.
Bob

For whitetail I just use the 100 grain Hornady and Nosler 100 gr accubond. Have a 26 inch barrel, shoots lights out .
Screenshot_20171006-121913.png
2011buck (1).jpg

For whitetail I just use the 100 grain Hornady and Nosler 100 gr accubond. Have a 26 inch barrel, shoots lights out . View attachment 406601View attachment 406602
@machinistbutler
What speeds are you getting with the 26 inch tube.
A gun writer in OZ Nick Harvey has a load that gets 3,400 fps SAFELY with 100grainers out of a 25/06.
I'm looking forward to seeing how the 115 grain Nosler combined technology silver tips do in my 25. The SSTs at 3,370fps are absolutely brilliant. Every thing I have ed shot with them from pig and goats to deer just go straight down. They are a bit savage in smaller deer with a lot of meat damage with side on shots. With neck shots I still get bruised meat down to the shoulder area, but the head is easy to remove as the spine is non existent.
I do love the fast 25s. If you want a real flat shooter the 100 grain Speer SPBT flys flat and works well. A bit explosive at higher velocity and cuts foxes almost in two as far away as you can hit them.
Bob

@machinistbutler
What speeds are you getting with the 26 inch tube.
A gun writer in OZ Nick Harvey has a load that gets 3,400 fps SAFELY with 100grainers out of a 25/06.
I'm looking forward to seeing how the 115 grain Nosler combined technology silver tips do in my 25. The SSTs at 3,370fps are absolutely brilliant. Every thing I have ed shot with them from pig and goats to deer just go straight down. They are a bit savage in smaller deer with a lot of meat damage with side on shots. With neck shots I still get bruised meat down to the shoulder area, but the head is easy to remove as the spine is non existent.
I do love the fast 25s. If you want a real flat shooter the 100 grain Speer SPBT flys flat and works well. A bit explosive at higher velocity and cuts foxes almost in two as far away as you can hit them.
Bob

If I remember my 100 grain loads were around the 3400 mark , I used IMR 4831 . I kept the accubonds around 3150, accuracy was so good there I didn't try and get any higher.

I have also used Sierra , but just for targets in that rifle. I have two actually, a shorter barrel one that is a fair bit slower with its 22 inch pipe, but is crazy accurate as well. My heavier 26 inch barrel is a joy to shoot. Recoil is close to nothing .

It has been a few years since I shot it, I will have to take it out again soon.

Now you've got me wanting to anchor a big buck with the Lott. Express sights and a 500 grain bullet. Should be a challenge.
At around 200 meters it was a Texas heart shot with the 458 Lott off the sticks . My cousin did not think he could hit it with his 7mm, so I took it for him. The 500 grain aframe exited the chest, in this pic I think it shows on the second rib on right side of the picture at the front. a bit of meat damage but none blood shot where it broke the hip.
Screenshot_20210612-051006.png
Screenshot_20210612-051549.png
Screenshot_20210612-051647.png

He was hunting with his young son and really wanted some meat on the ground. His boy posed for some pics with the deer . Was a good trip.

An excellent shot and great choice for a bit tracking required rifle. I don't think I trust myself out that far with the Lott yet. It's dead on at fifty yards. I suppose I could do it. I just haven't tried it yet. I wouldn't hesitate with my .375s. They all have scopes and nice triggers. Settle, squeeze and wait for the big boom and roll. First shot is easy. Second shot is the challenge.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jhonmark007

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg