I just may have found her!

Quaticman

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
Namibia
Merkel 140 AE chambered in .500 Nitro Express. Comes with a reloading package including dies, brass and bullets. The asking price is $8,500.00 CDN ($6,950.00 US).
It's not my preferred caliber however it would be an introduction to the World of double rifles. Should I grab her?

sgt_zim

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
Member of
NRA, Houston Safari Club Foundation, NWTF
Hunted
Texas, Louisiana
dude, is that even really a question???

sgt_zim

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
Member of
NRA, Houston Safari Club Foundation, NWTF
Hunted
Texas, Louisiana
shucks. at that price, buy it even if LOP is off. spend another chunk on a new butt stock.

Longwalker

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
Saskatchewan Wildlife Federation, Saskatoon Gun Dog Club
Hunted
Canada, USA, Germany, South Africa, Namibia
At that price, there is not much risk in finding out. Oh, and please stop using that "need" word. It's inappropriate for this discussion. ;-)

machinistbutler

Silver supporter
AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
Canada Namibia
And it comes with some reloading stuff if it is the one I am thinking of! Congratulations if you get it!! And you shouldn't hesitate all all , buy it!!

I was looking for a bit, and it is rare to find one for sale, and purchasing from a well known company who would know a lot about doubles should be very reassuring! If I wouldn't have found a 470 I would have jumped on that the second I seen it for sale!

Last edited:

Opposite Pole

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Member of
SSAA; PZŁ, KŁ Sęp
Hunted
Australia, Poland

R.M.C.

Bronze supporter
AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
U.S. and Canada
As already stated, you don't need a use for a gun. It's a great price so it's pretty much your duty to buy it and post pictures of it. I look forward to seeing them lol

BeeMaa

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA Life Member, SCI
Hunted
Eastern US & RSA
EXERCISE CAUTION...

FYI - @TOBY458 and I have seen a few scammers on GI and GB recently selling a Merkel DR 470NE, a highly engraved Merkel K2 and a Krieghoff DR in 470NE. All of them priced waaaaay below what they should be. If it looks too good to be true, it might just be. Buyer beware.

Ask questions, like for detailed pictures of the breech face, proof marks and muzzle ends. This simple step can sort things out quickly. If they can't provide them...don't buy it.

I hope it works out for you.

TOBY458

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
EXERCISE CAUTION...

FYI - @TOBY458 and I have seen a few scammers on GI and GB recently selling a Merkel DR 470NE, a highly engraved Merkel K2 and a Krieghoff DR in 470NE. All of them priced waaaaay below what they should be. If it looks too good to be true, it might just be. Buyer beware.

Ask questions, like for detailed pictures of the breech face, proof marks and muzzle ends. This simple step can sort things out quickly. If they can't provide them...don't buy it.

I hope it works out for you.
Yes. We saw this on three different rifles just this week. When emailed they either don't respond or if they do it's apparent that they don't have the rifle in hand.

Quaticman

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
Namibia
UPDATE: I pulled the trigger today (pun intended) on the Merkel 140 AE .500 Nitro Express double rifle.
It comes with dies, 100 Norma brass and a couple of boxes of Woodleigh Weldcore bullets. I will post a picture when it arrives. In the meantime does anyone know what factory ammo or reloads this rifle would be regulated with?

machinistbutler

Silver supporter
AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
Canada Namibia
I sent an email to Merkel with the serial number and they responded quickly to my inquiry.

Mine also had the test target and the papers showing what was the regulated load. In my case it was federal ammunition, I am not sure what loads were used with the 500 nitro.

So happy you purchased it!!

Craig

Bullthrower338

Silver supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Australia/NZ
Member of
Life Member Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation, NRA, Huntin' Fool, DSC and Pope and Young Club
Hunted
USA, Mexico, Canada, RSA, Australia NT, Zimbabwe
No such thing as to much gun! Mine was regulated with Federal Trophy Bonded and I had a Swift A-Frame load in one trip to the range.

Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SSAA
Hunted
Australia
Merkel 140 AE chambered in .500 Nitro Express. Comes with a reloading package including dies, brass and bullets. The asking price is $8,500.00 CDN ($6,950.00 US).
It's not my preferred caliber however it would be an introduction to the World of double rifles. Should I grab her?
@Quaticman
You shouldn't be asking that question.
The title should have been just bought my first double.
Bob

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KristeenNa

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Eastern Cape Hunting Report Coming soon...
Jaynecobb wrote on cal pappas's profile.
I hate to bother you....I own 2 of your books including British bore rifle. I was hoping you might have more 10 bore loads. For the heavier and later rifles. Any help would be appreciated.
Gert Odendaal wrote on Av8or's profile.
Good day , Do you still have .375 H&H Magnum brass available to sell?
tarbe wrote on PatrickMa Ward's profile.
Aha....I see you have a new Avatar!!

Nice bull!
flatwater bill wrote on KHOMAS HIGHLAND HUNTING SAFARIS's profile.
I hope your hunting season has started off well. I am coming to Namibia for the 7th time in late April of 2022. I am bringing two friends who have never hunted outside of the USA. I have several questions, but before I write them all, I will wait to see if you receive this. Please give a shout................................best regards.........................Bill...............Idaho, USA