Website
www.buckstix.com
Media
Member of
NRA LIFE MEMBER
Hunted
US - CANADA
I just added another 416 caliber to the battery - 416 Van Horn

Well, I just bought the 416 Van Horn custom rifle built by Walter Abe. 416 is my favorite caliber.

It just so happens that I have a custom wildcat rifle chambered in 416 MRE from 1972 (Mid Range Express) ... that's the same caliber as the 416 Van Horn that Gill Van Horn invented in 1977. Its a 460 Weatherby Mag case shortened to 2-1/2" and necked down to .416 cal. Its basically a 416 Weatherby Mag "short".

as always comments are welcome ... and any info about Gil Van Horn or Walter Abe would be appreciated.

http://www.buckstix.com/buckpics/abe-000.jpg

abe-000.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I had that rifle in my watch list...among so many I watch. It looks even better in your pictures; the color case hardening is very good.

Not entirely sure, but those scope bases look similar to a Unertl base. I just did a quick Google search and found some that look like yours....Unertl made bases in several styles and yours look like one style, anyways.

Very nice rifle,

Ed Z

thanks - I have dozens of Unertl bases and those bases are much more narrow - these are much wider at .650 width

With no locking mechanism to keep the scope from moving on the base, I'd be hesitant to use those bases on a heavy-recoiling rifle (though it seems the front base has an oval recessed area that could have been a locking lug on the front ring?) Who knows. The Unertls I've used on Win 52s have a groove where the scope rings clamp onto to keep the rings from moving... but that is just a .22LR.

Regardless, hope you sort it out,

Ed

I just ordered a set of 16mm Warne Lever QD Rings for the 527 CZ. Those should work. They have a recoil stud to keep them in place under heavy recoil.

I found that the front scope base has a small ledge that hangs over the action with a large set screw that keeps the base from moving forward under recoil. This takes the load off the 2 screws that hold the base. I purchased a set of 16mm Warne QD Lever rings that worked great on the 2.5x32 scope that I now mounted. This allows for quick and easy "on-off" scope and iron site swapping, as needed. Field tests with the scope to follow.

Here is a picture of the 416 Rigby cartridge next to a 416 Van Horn cartridge. With modern powders the 416 Van Horn can equal original 416 Rigby performance.

And a picture of a target using the iron sites. This is a fun "puppy" load for practice.

And finally a picture of the mounted scope showing the overhang base. If you look close you can see the large set screw.

http://www.buckstix.com/buckpics/RIGBY-VAN-HORN.jpg

RIGBY-VAN-HORN.jpg

http://www.buckstix.com/buckpics/abe-targ.jpg

abe-targ.jpg

http://www.buckstix.com/buckpics/abe-scope-0.jpg

abe-scope-0.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
789club64com

Latest profile posts

cwpayton wrote on Goat416's profile.
Goat416 welcome to the forum ,youve got some great pics and Im sure trophy's
ghay wrote on professor's profile.
Hello,
Would you consider selling just the Barnes 235's and 250g TTSX's?
Hunt27 wrote on Tra3's profile.
Spain, i booked through a consultant, i book almost everything through him now and he's done me right. his contact 724 986 7206 if interested and he will have more info to share,
I hunted elephant with Luke Samaris in 2005. It was my fourth safari and I tell you he is a fine gentleman the best. I got the opportunity to meet Patty Curtis, although never hunted with him but enjoyed our conversation around our tent in the Selous. Very sad for a tough guy to leave this world the way he did. Let’s pray the murderers are caught. I hope to see Luke in Nashville.
RLP wrote on professor's profile.
Good morning. I am a Ruger fan myself. Have you sold to anyone on the site before? How old is the ammo?

RLP