I joined the 404 Jeffery Club today

Why bother inventing things like muzzle breaks for people who cannot handle or do not like recoil? The gases that would propel the gun backwards (like a rocket) are lead out sideways or backwards, thereby drastically reducing recoil. Shooting offhand would be a highly inaccurate practice, which it is not. (just watch Olympic shooting disciplines). If it was, I would be dead twice over already as I had to shoot myself out of deep shit.
I will have my new 404 Jeffery on A Weatherby Mark V action (made by Wayne York in Pendleton, Oregon, stocked in a Pendleton stock) in a couple of weeks! Can't wait! I know some frown on the Mark V, but I'm happy with the ones I have. My 458 Lott has proven to be less than fun with full loads, if fired more than a few times. I've gone to Hornady 350's in it, at maybe 2600 fps. Recoil is manageable, but bullet has a rather low SD and a bad ballistic coefficient. Both factors are much improved with the .404. Am looking forward to shooting it !

Bullets are most definitely in the barrel during recoil. A look at chamber pressure vs time curves and a simple calculation of bullet residence time in the barrel will confirm this. On a more experiential side, shooting my 458 Lott RSM confirms it: offhand & standing, the rifle impacts at point of aim at 50 yards with Hornady factory 500 gr soft points. If I sit at the bench and hold the rifle firmly down on a rest, it groups 6" left and 8" low at 50 yards. At the bench, my strong hold eliminates muzzle movement after firing; while standing, I let the rifle jump. The difference in impact point is the effect of recoil on trajectory. It's big, in this hard-recoiling rifle. It's negligible in a .22

Momentum is unchanged, unless the object is acted on by a force. It's conserved in elastic collisions. For every force, there is an equal and opposite force, which is the concept governing recoil. The recoil force starts when a force is placed on the bullet, which is the instant it moves some distance. The gun is reacting to the bullet's movement from the time it begins to move.

I am privileged to own a .404Jeffery since Sunday. I bought a .404 Jeff from a person with the name of Mike White, this rifle is 80 years of age. It was used to do the culling of elephants and buffaloes in the 1930 era, when the Ngana (sleeping sickness was rive in the Northern Natal , Themebe region) This rifle shot the last elephant in the Thembe region. I received 80 old ammo as well, and is in the process of shooting it out so I can have brass to reload. A few photos of the rifle and old ammo.
Congratulations on your rifle. A piece of history. What a great feeling to have something like that in hand. I have a 404 coming soon.

I inherited a Springfield percussion rifle made by Colt in 1864, .58 caliber. The rifle was carried by Mr. Turpin in the US Civil War, left to my great Uncle, then left to my Dad, then left to me. I guess I am caring for this rifle for Mr. Turpin! I'll leave it, with its history, to my cousins son. I hope he'll carry it to the 200 year mark. A well cared for gun is a wonderful thing.

EfRed, I never even heard of a 404 Jeffery until I joined AH. But after "hearing" about them for a couple of years decided I'd like to try one. I now own two of them. Using Von Gruff's accuracy load both rifles group under an inch. A couple of years ago I took one of them to Africa to use on an Eland. Probably a bit of overkill but at 75 (back then) I doubted I'd ever be doing any DG hunting. The Eland dropped in his tracks not being able to take a single step either forward or back. I use a 400 Gr. bullet at 2300 FPS. I prefer my 404(s) over my 416 Rigby. IMHO they will both do the same jobs, but the 404(s) are more shoulder friendly. I'm all but positive that you will enjoy your new 404 as much as the rest of us do. Welcome to the "club."

EfRed, I never even heard of a 404 Jeffery until I joined AH. But after "hearing" about them for a couple of years decided I'd like to try one. I now own two of them. Using Von Gruff's accuracy load both rifles group under an inch. A couple of years ago I took one of them to Africa to use on an Eland. Probably a bit of overkill but at 75 (back then) I doubted I'd ever be doing any DG hunting. The Eland dropped in his tracks not being able to take a single step either forward or back. I use a 400 Gr. bullet at 2300 FPS. I prefer my 404(s) over my 416 Rigby. IMHO they will both do the same jobs, but the 404(s) are more shoulder friendly. I'm all but positive that you will enjoy your new 404 as much as the rest of us do. Welcome to the "club."
My story is similar. Shot my cow buff two years ago at 90 meters with my .404 at 2150 fps and a 400 grain TSX. She dropped, got up and ran 30 meters and rolled over dead. Not likely I'll ever hunt with my .416 Rigby.

Shootist 43 I agree , I do have a .458 Win Mag Mannlicher Schoenauer as well but I always take only one hunting rifle to hunt..my 404 Jeffery Mauser ...it is a great calibre to use and shoot in the bush...I really do not have the same bias towards any other rifle of mine ,,...maybe the 8x68S and 6.5 x 55 Swedish Mauser I still need to complete building them..

Two is more than twice as good as one! I'm glad to hear the praise for the cartridge from you, Gert, and Sierraone. I chose the Jeffery for reduced recoil and the name; I've read about Africa all my life, so was aware of the Jeffery, but it was just an artifact of history back then. Grateful to the people whose interest has brought it back. Thanks for the Welcome !

May offer my application for the 404 club membership?

One is 9.3 x 62 the other 404J

pair of African rifles.jpg

You hit the Jackpot, and those children that said the 404 isn't enough on buffalo, Hippo, elephant, Lion and anything else have never used it, and are nuts..I also liked the 450 gr. Woodleigh PP in and 40 caliber for DG and the 350 monolithics are great on elk and PG in DG country and if you run into a buff or elephant with a poachers wound and looking for someone to stomp, your well armed.. Congrats you have the ultmate African caliber IMO, oh yeah I have hunted with the supreme double rifle also the famous 450-400..and never flelt short on killing power stopping 2.5 charges dead in their tracks..I say .5 because one a true charge and exciting event that I stopped at 40 yards witha shot to the throat that got the heart and spine centered and an instant kill...I have a lot of nostalgia, a lot of age, got it by believing what the old boys of Africa had to say, now Im nearly the same age difference as todays African enthusiests! :) :) :)

"Much" is a loosely used description Sir..rifle bolts in the control feed and push feed looks "much " the same.....from a gunsmiths point of view they are entirely apart and totally two separated systems.... the control feed is a system used specifically to build dangerous game rifles on...for dangerous game hunting...cycling the push feed action under pressure may just get yourself killed...the reason a person short stroking the Mauser action bolt is nothing to do with the features of the control feed action...only with the hunter`s non-capability to use the control feed action /shooting wrong...a person short stroking a Mauser rifle`s action when operating the rifle while hunting dangerous game is entirely the person`s onerous technique to shoot the Mauser rifle..(y)
Here is a video you need to take a look at..this usually happens with visiting dangerous game hunters here is South Africa..in this video, Pieter Nel will explain what you said "a person can short stroke a CFR as well" keep in mind it is the person who do it not he action/bolt of a Mauser action..
Thank you much for this very useful video. Trained by my father many years ago, I always used this technique, but the reasons for so doing had faded into the mists of time. Recently, I've been trying to do it with the rifle at my shoulder, and I can't keep it from feeling unreliable and insecure, and blinding. I'll relax into my old way of doing things. Another advantage: with the rifle off the shoulder, loaded and cocked, it's very natural to take a small step forward with the left foot (for rt hander) to get the advantage of active pointing in lining up your shot, like a shotgun in bird shooting. Your feet and body alignment are very important in hitting your spot in offhand shooting - the demonstrated technique with the small step will help to insure this.

I think in my first post on the forum I said I longed for a .416 Rigby. Still love that one but maybe I've been educated a bit, the .404J does seem to be the fit I'd enjoy.

Go for it! Life is short.

I think in my first post on the forum I said I longed for a .416 Rigby. Still love that one but maybe I've been educated a bit, the .404J does seem to be the fit I'd enjoy.
They can be as easy on the eyes as they are in recoil. :cool:

gun6.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DenaI60135

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Looking to hire Odoo developers in UAE, USA In o2b technologies has skilled and experienced Odoo developers at competitive pricing Consult Now!

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!