I have a delema with a new barrel

Eric Anderson

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
RSA
I put together a new AR-15 over Christmas. I was horrified the first time I shot it with IMI M193 and federal XM193 it looked like a shotgun pattern. I reset the barrel and retorqued the barrel nut when I got home.
Went back and made some ladder loads with lots of different bullet/ powder combos. Also brought a mag of PPU .223 to warm up the barrel beforehand so everything is consistent.
What I learned today:
It wasn’t the barrel bedding or barrel nut. The PPU still looks like a shotgun shot the target. In fact, pretty sure a turkey choke throws a tighter group.

The barrel shoots ok with several of the Norma bullets I tried.

It really likes Barnes tsx 55 grain fun bullets on top of IMR 4895
It’s best groups I was stacking bullet holes. unless I was having random fliers that completely missed paper, pretty sure I dropped a few rounds perfectly into a previous hole.

Now my delema. Is it worth keeping this barrel? It is unusable with M193 or equivalent. It is marginal with Norma varmit bullets. The only thing it is MOA capable with is the most expensive bullet out there. AR-15’s are not exactly suited for low volume precision firing. I have other rifles much better suited.

Has anyone else faced a similar situation? Had a barrel that only worked with premium ammunition. What did you do? Keep it, or buy another barrel?

CAustin

Bronze supporter
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Courtney Hunting Club, NRA Life Member, SCI Kansas City Chapter
Hunted
South Africa, KwaZulu Natal, Kalahari, Northwest, Limpopo, Gauteng, APNR Kruger Area. USA Georgia, South Carolina, Arkansas, New Mexico, North Carolina and Texas
WOW it sure sounds like the barrel.

WAB

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
DSC, NRA, SCI
Hunted
Zambia, Botswana, Mozambique, South Africa, Zimbabwe, Namibia, Scotland, England, Canada, Alaska, Ireland
I had a 6.5 Grendel barrel that I couldn’t get to shoot under 2” (not as bad as yours!). I swapped it out for a Ranier Arms polygonally rifled match barrel. It is now shooting 1/2” at 100 and I shot a 1 1/2” 5 shot group at 300 just before deer season. I’ll get back on it once deer season goes out. I don’t want the gunfire on the farm right now.

Shootist43

Gold supporter
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA
Hunted
Michigan, Texas, Missouri, Limpopo Province South Africa
What is the twist rate? Rifles that shoot 55 Grs. accurately will not stabilize heavier bullets hence the shotgun pattern.

Apology: I didn't realize that M 193 does in fact use a 55 Gr. bullet. Please disregard my comment.

Last edited:

DG Gunsmith

AH senior member
Reaction score
Sounds like a bad barrel... Better off swapping it for better one... Although, it might be possible to remedy it... Generally the 2 things that affect Accuracy the most, are the Crown & Chamber... Is it possible that it has a defective Crown? This is sheer speculation, as I haven't examined it personally... But, I have had luck in the past, Re-Crowning Muzzles... Another line o' thought... Have you measured the Bore Diameter vs the Bullets that work & the ones that don't?

mdwest

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Mex/S.Amer
Member of
DSC Life Member, NRA Life Member
Hunted
USA, South Africa, Argentina, Peru
What twist rate is the barrel?

Barness 55gr is longer than the M193 projectile.. It flies far more like a 62gr bullet than a 55gr..

Your barrel may prefer heavier/longer bullets..

Shoot some 62gr stuff through it and see what happens..

If its shooting MOA with Barnes... but open groups with other 55gr stuff.. I'd at least consider putting a box of 62 or 70gr stuff through it first before writing it off to being a "bad barrel"..

My primary 556 AR hates 55gr winchester, remington, and federal options.. at best it will hold about 2 - 2.5 MOA..

But it LOVES 62gr SSA (FBI load), 62gr Hornady Black FMJ, and 75gr Hornady Black Interlock.. shoots 1 - 1.5 MOA with any of those.. and its not a "precision" gun by any means.. its a DIY build with a variety of parts from different manufactuers..

Ray B

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
The only similar situation I'm familiar with is a friend that has a rifle that came with a muzzle break. It wasn't hit by the bullets but with certain loads the harmonics of the barrel caused the muzzle break to affect the exit of the bullet which led to some loads having patterns while others were accurate.

shootist~

Silver supporter
AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Member of
NRA Life Member, USPSA Certified Range Officer (inactive), NRA Certified Instructor (inactive)
Hunted
USA, Mexico
I would clean the bore and then polish with J-B Bore Paste. And give it one more try with the Izzy M193.

Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SSAA
Hunted
Australia
I put together a new AR-15 over Christmas. I was horrified the first time I shot it with IMI M193 and federal XM193 it looked like a shotgun pattern. I reset the barrel and retorqued the barrel nut when I got home.
Went back and made some ladder loads with lots of different bullet/ powder combos. Also brought a mag of PPU .223 to warm up the barrel beforehand so everything is consistent.
What I learned today:
It wasn’t the barrel bedding or barrel nut. The PPU still looks like a shotgun shot the target. In fact, pretty sure a turkey choke throws a tighter group.

The barrel shoots ok with several of the Norma bullets I tried.

It really likes Barnes tsx 55 grain fun bullets on top of IMR 4895
It’s best groups I was stacking bullet holes. unless I was having random fliers that completely missed paper, pretty sure I dropped a few rounds perfectly into a previous hole.

Now my delema. Is it worth keeping this barrel? It is unusable with M193 or equivalent. It is marginal with Norma varmit bullets. The only thing it is MOA capable with is the most expensive bullet out there. AR-15’s are not exactly suited for low volume precision firing. I have other rifles much better suited.

Has anyone else faced a similar situation? Had a barrel that only worked with premium ammunition. What did you do? Keep it, or buy another barrel?
@Eric Anderson
Just my 2 cents.
If any of my barrels won't shoot less than an inch with any projectile I decide to grow down it it goes back to the manufacturer, but then again I only use custom competition barrels on my hunting rifles. For my fun guns I'm happy with 2 to 4 inches depending on the rifle.
Bob

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RRKSibyl33

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

pam308 wrote on TOBY458's profile.
Just saw your listing for a winchester 70 458. Is it still for sale? I want it!!! pam308
flatwater bill wrote on john stroud's profile.
Leopard Legend....................Hi John.............I see that you have not visited AH in awhile. Hope all is well. I am looking for a hunt in Namibia..............would like to ask a few questions about your hunt.............all the best..............................Bill
Cervus elaphus wrote on Bob Nelson 35Whelen's profile.
Hi Bob, how's things going in Wyong?. Down your way a couple of years back but haven't been in NSW since Ebor for the fishing. just getting over some nasty storms up here in Qld, seeing the sun for the first time in a few days. I'm going to NZ in the spring and hope to clean up a few buns while there and perhaps shake the spiders out of my old .303LE (currently owned by my BIL). Cheers Brian
A couple pictures of the sable i chased for miles in Mozambique, Coutada 9!! We finally caught up to him and I had the trophy of a lifetime. Mokore Safaris, Doug Duckworth PH
sable Coutada 9.JPG
sable 2 - Coutada 9.JPG
Safari Dave wrote on egrmpty507's profile.
Did you purchase your hunt at a US SCI fundraiser?