www.buckstix.com
Media
Member of
NRA LIFE MEMBER
Hunted
US - CANADA
I found a real SLEEPER - unidentified 416 Rigby - real cheap

Hello All,

As you have seen, lately my interests have shifted to Big Bore rifles. I found this one on an on-line auction while I was searching. Its really neat when you discover one where the seller has no clue what he has.

Here is how it was described in the original auction listing.

oct1aa.jpg

The description also included a lot of the other usual info about: good bore, good wood, etc., etc.

Well, I never heard of a "Full" Magnum Length Interarms, and when I searched the Net trying to find examples of one, I was stumped. Here are the pictures that were listed in the auction.

oct2.jpg

oct3.jpg

oct4.jpg

oct5.jpg

oct6.jpg

After much searching and comparing the shape of this action, to pictures of various Interarms Actions that I located on line, I was sure this was NOT an Interarms Action. The only thing I could see that remotely resembled Interarms, was the sliding safety.

Well, I had a 'hunch' what this was. Could it be? I watched this rifle for the full 14 days of the Auction. That was a very, very long 2 weeks. And, in the last minutes of the Auction, I placed my bids. After a couple of back-and-forth bids, I was the winner! - $720 - My total cost ... $755 delivered to Wisconsin. It was 2 days before Christmas, so this was a Christmas present from myself - to myself. Perhaps the close-Christmas timing kept the other would-be-bidders too busy to find this treasure.

Here is what I found when it arrived home ...

A very nice Magnum Length BREVEX Mauser action - you can barely see the "M400" model marking and the "/92" serial number stamp. It looks like these were partially removed during the final "squaring of the action bottom and the finishing process during the rifle's build.

oct9.jpg

and .... with a SAKO trigger..... This explains the sliding side safety that looks similar to the Interarms safety.

oct7.jpg

oct8.jpg

and ..... a LES BAUSKA barrel..... This was also a surprise. Les Bauska was a famed barrel maker and worked with Buhmiller during the 50's and 60's ... likely when this rifle was built. He was known for his superb Octagon Barrels.

oct90.jpg

oct91.jpg

I topped the rifle with a compact 2x-7x Burris Scope, which brought the shooting weight to just a tad over 11 pounds. The perfect weight for a 416 Rigby.

Lots of people ask me how I find so many rare collectibles. And some people call me Lucky - they are wrong. I credit my findings to a bladder problem. As I age, I find myself getting up several times a night - to pee. Before I go back to bed, I do a little WEB Surfing. The search engines run pretty fast at 2 o'clock in the morning. All the reading makes me sleepy, and I go back to bed until the next urge wakes me. And that's how I found this one.

Thank Goodness for a small bladder.

I',m sure most of you know that the BREVEX action was made in Suresnes, France from 1955-1965 by M. Polonsky (an engineer from the Radom plant in Poland) using captured German machinery taken from Oberndorf by the French Troops (Gal. Leclerc 2nd DB) and delivered by the M.A.S. (Manufacture d'Armes de Saint-Etienne) before being sold to Polonsky circa 1951. This was the only true Magnum Mauser length action available to the trade in the years folowing WWII. They were imported and sold exclusively by Tradewinds. Here is a 1955 GUNS Magazine ad from Tradewinds.

1955ad2.jpg

Here's my rifle with the compact 2x-7x Burris Scope.

oct95.jpg

Attachments

• oct90.jpg
    oct90.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 276
  • oct2.jpg
    oct2.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 245
  • oct5.jpg
    oct5.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 440
  • oct8.jpg
    oct8.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 308
  • oct91.jpg
    oct91.jpg
    196.7 KB · Views: 303
  • 1955ad2.jpg
    1955ad2.jpg
    138.3 KB · Views: 772
  • oct3.jpg
    oct3.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 244
  • oct95.jpg
    oct95.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 237
  • oct9.jpg
    oct9.jpg
    173.1 KB · Views: 254
  • oct6.jpg
    oct6.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 266
  • oct4.jpg
    oct4.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 234
  • oct7.jpg
    oct7.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 278
  • oct1aa.jpg
    oct1aa.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 263
Last edited by a moderator:
So, how does she shoot?

Now figure out how to get some express sights on that thing, replace that bridge mount with Warnes or something similar, take a rasp to that vicious looking hook in the handle and then you will really have something. And with what you saved on that barreled action, having all that done by a pro would still bring total cost under its real value. Well done.

It's an amazing find. Let's know how well it shoots!

Hello Red Leg,

Thanks for the reply.

I think I'm going to leave this one like the "original builder" liked it. It has that wonderful 60's air about it.

As for shooting - well that heavy laminate stock with the heavy octagon barrel put the weight at just a fraction over 11 pounds. Its fun to shoot even with full Factory loads of 400g bullets at 2400 fps. And, its a real joy with 400g lead bullets at 2000 fps.

Beautiful rifle, great find and thanks for the photos. I now know a little bit more about Brevex history as well!

Lots of people ask me how I find so many rare collectibles. And some people call me Lucky - they are wrong. I credit my findings to a bladder problem. As I age, I find myself getting up several times a night - to pee. Before I go back to bed, I do a little WEB Surfing. The search engines run pretty fast at 2 o'clock in the morning. All the reading makes me sleepy, and I go back to bed until the next urge wakes me. And that's how I found this one.

Great find!

The other thing that jumped out to me is that the 2 AM searching would keep my Wife from looking over my shoulder and saying NO!!!! :E Doh:

Hello Red Leg,

Thanks for the reply.

I think I'm going to leave this one like the "original builder" liked it. It has that wonderful 60's air about it.

As for shooting - well that heavy laminate stock with the heavy octagon barrel put the weight at just a fraction over 11 pounds. Its fun to shoot even with full Factory loads of 400g bullets at 2400 fps. And, its a real joy with 400g lead bullets at 2000 fps.

LOL - Maybe you're right. Get some camo bell bottoms and go totally retro. Seriously though, great find.

Nice find,,if you like scrounging the web and have patience you can find some great deals,,most of my rifles came from web searchs

Great find!

The other thing that jumped out to me is that the 2 AM searching would keep my Wife from looking over my shoulder and saying NO!!!! :E Doh:
He did say it was a "sleeper"!

@buckstix that is one really great find! How is accuracy?

The expensive part is feeding these Rigby's.

Awesome find. I congratulate your bladder. Leave it as is ? Yes.

Great find on a real sleeper...
Tuff call on call on changing the look ...
My .02 keep the rifle as is, fix your bladder so your wife can sleep at night and give the rest of us a bloody chance :E Dancing:
Enjoy

Well....if you wanna make some money on it........

Wonderful find, and your great detective work (read:knowledge) makes it that much more special. Well done!

sometimes those rare finds turn out to be your best rifle

Okay, I'm dense so please spell it out for me. The gun was advertised as a cheap Mauser type gun known as an inter arms but was actually a cheap French Mauser that had some custom work done on it in the U.S. In 1950s?

I felt like I was reading antiques roadshow but we never got to the part where: "conservatively, at auction, this gun will bring X".

Since I don't know jack about this gun I don't understand the value prop or why it was worth more than $700. Please educate the masses.

Hello rookhawk,

Custom Brevex action Mausers generally sell fot over $5,000.

I found a real SLEEPER - unidentified 416 Rigby - real cheap

Hello All,

As you have seen, lately my interests have shifted to Big Bore rifles. I found this one on an on-line auction while I was searching. Its really neat when you discover one where the seller has no clue what he has.

Here is how it was described in the original auction listing.

oct1aa.jpg

The description also included a lot of the other usual info about: good bore, good wood, etc., etc.

Well, I never heard of a "Full" Magnum Length Interarms, and when I searched the Net trying to find examples of one, I was stumped. Here are the pictures that were listed in the auction.

oct2.jpg

oct3.jpg

oct4.jpg

oct5.jpg

oct6.jpg

After much searching and comparing the shape of this action, to pictures of various Interarms Actions that I located on line, I was sure this was NOT an Interarms Action. The only thing I could see that remotely resembled Interarms, was the sliding safety.

Well, I had a 'hunch' what this was. Could it be? I watched this rifle for the full 14 days of the Auction. That was a very, very long 2 weeks. And, in the last minutes of the Auction, I placed my bids. After a couple of back-and-forth bids, I was the winner! - $720 - My total cost ... $755 delivered to Wisconsin. It was 2 days before Christmas, so this was a Christmas present from myself - to myself. Perhaps the close-Christmas timing kept the other would-be-bidders too busy to find this treasure.

Here is what I found when it arrived home ...

A very nice Magnum Length BREVEX Mauser action - you can barely see the "M400" model marking and the "/92" serial number stamp. It looks like these were partially removed during the final "squaring of the action bottom and the finishing process during the rifle's build.

oct9.jpg

and .... with a SAKO trigger..... This explains the sliding side safety that looks similar to the Interarms safety.

oct7.jpg

oct8.jpg

and ..... a LES BAUSKA barrel..... This was also a surprise. Les Bauska was a famed barrel maker and worked with Buhmiller during the 50's and 60's ... likely when this rifle was built. He was known for his superb Octagon Barrels.

oct90.jpg

oct91.jpg

I topped the rifle with a compact 2x-7x Burris Scope, which brought the shooting weight to just a tad over 11 pounds. The perfect weight for a 416 Rigby.

Thank Goodness for a small bladder.

I',m sure most of you know that the BREVEX action was made in Suresnes, France from 1955-1965 by M. Polonsky (an engineer from the Radom plant in Poland) using captured German machinery taken from Oberndorf by the French Troops (Gal. Leclerc 2nd DB) and delivered by the M.A.S. (Manufacture d'Armes de Saint-Etienne) before being sold to Polonsky circa 1951. This was the only true Magnum Mauser length action available to the trade in the years folowing WWII. They were imported and sold exclusively by Tradewinds. Here is a 1955 GUNS Magazine ad from Tradewinds.

1955ad2.jpg

Here's my rifle with the compact 2x-7x Burris Scope.

oct95.jpg
Wow is all I can say. A true Brevex action ... they are legend and worth some dough

The Brevex action as @buckstix said are very expensive when you can find one and the Les Bauska barrels are know for their accuracy. You found a keeper my friend. time to take it to africa!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadwickTo

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross