Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
NRA, RMEF
Hunted
US (Utah, Arizona, Idaho, Colorado, Nevada. Canada (British Colombia), South Africa (Eastern Cape)
Well, a few years ago I loaded up a lot of .340 Weatherby round with the 225 grain Barnes TSX bullets and I decided that I wanted to just switch them over to the rest of the 225 grain TTSX bullets that I have. So I pulled out the old hammer type inertia puller and went to work beating them on a 4x4 to break the bullets loose and save the powder and old bullets.

I was going good and then I came upon one that only had about a 1/4 charge of powder. Now these loads hold 88 grains of powder so to dump the powder out and only see around 20 grains I was quite shocked. I even hammered the pullers reservoir a few times thinking that it may of been stuck in it along with tapping the case and getting a flash light to look down into it. Yep, it was only about 1/4 full of powder.

I have no idea of if that charge would of pushed the bullet all the way through the barrel and out or if it would of just lodged the bullet in the barrel, but I am glad that I found it now instead of pulling the trigger and wondering just what happened. I am usually very meticulous when it comes to charging the case but this one slipped by.

This goes to show that even after loading metallic cartridges for over 50 years mistakes happen.

Could have been a whole lot worse and ended up with squib. At least you caught it now.

I've gone to checking all hunting cartridges (reloaded or factory) that I'll be taking on a hunt with a powder scale. A friend of mine had a squib happen to him in his 9mm carry pistol at the range with factory ammo. Been double checking ever since.

Well, a few years ago I loaded up a lot of .340 Weatherby round with the 225 grain Barnes TSX bullets and I decided that I wanted to just switch them over to the rest of the 225 grain TTSX bullets that I have. So I pulled out the old hammer type inertia puller and went to work beating them on a 4x4 to break the bullets loose and save the powder and old bullets.

I was going good and then I came upon one that only had about a 1/4 charge of powder. Now these loads hold 88 grains of powder so to dump the powder out and only see around 20 grains I was quite shocked. I even hammered the pullers reservoir a few times thinking that it may of been stuck in it along with tapping the case and getting a flash light to look down into it. Yep, it was only about 1/4 full of powder.

I have no idea of if that charge would of pushed the bullet all the way through the barrel and out or if it would of just lodged the bullet in the barrel, but I am glad that I found it now instead of pulling the trigger and wondering just what happened. I am usually very meticulous when it comes to charging the case but this one slipped by.

This goes to show that even after loading metallic cartridges for over 50 years mistakes happen.
@JimP
That is why I hate loading blocks and charging 50 cases then seating the bullet. Mistakes can happen.
I charge the case with powder inspect and seet the bullet. If'n it don't look right I weigh the charge and put it back in the thrower and start again.
That way no short/ squib loads.
Bob

That is what gets me to wondering.

At that time I would dump the charge into the scale pan, weigh it and trickle in the extra that was needed then dump it into the case and seat the bullet.

I have done it that way with rifle cases for years but something happened with this one.

I now use a RCBS Chargemaster but still follow the same routine.

This light load is going to have me scratching my head for quite a while.

Tomorrow I'll weigh a few thousand rounds to see if I did it to a second one.

Well, my scale is wore out. I went through close to 3000 rounds today and all came out where they were suppose to.

That's one way to do a inventory.

I take a flashlight and go over the trays to make sure there aren't any under charges.

And your wouldn’t want that mistakes to bite you in Africa. Especially with DG

That is what gets me to wondering.

At that time I would dump the charge into the scale pan, weigh it and trickle in the extra that was needed then dump it into the case and seat the bullet.

I have done it that way with rifle cases for years but something happened with this one.

I now use a RCBS Chargemaster but still follow the same routine.

This light load is going to have me scratching my head for quite a while.

Tomorrow I'll weigh a few thousand rounds to see if I did it to a second one.
@JimP
Off your luck is like mine every round you weigh will be perfect until the very last one.
Bib

I take a flashlight and go over the trays to make sure there aren't any under charges.
@Hogpatrol
Obviously you haven't had my mates experience and lesson on loading blocks while inspecting with a torch. He got a sudden attack of the sneezesand a 50 round block ended arse up on the floor with powder everywhere.
He now loads one round at a time.
Bib

I decided the other day to add one more step to my reloading.

I will now weigh each completed round before I put it into the box. I have a extra digital scale so it won't take that much more time and it will give me peace of mind.

So in over 50 years of loading my own rounds this is the first one that I actually caught. From my memory I can remember a few that just didn't feel just right but when I checked the barrel all was well and I could see light through it.

This doesn't go to say that you can't have the same problem with factory rounds. I have heard of a number of shooters who have shot one and have reported that it just didn't feel right from the recoil.

Thats exactly what I do! Except I audibly iterate "powder, powder, powder..." as I go down each row of shells and peer inside... I'm a little OCD when it comes to reloading ammunition... I also hate it when I open a pack of primers and find 19 of them, or 49 of them...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silke2404

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.