I did it again Bought another Brit gun

rookhawk

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Member of
NRA Life Benefactor, Trout Unlimited, Safari Club International
I'm supposed to be trimming my excess collection but found something I had to have. I haggled for a few years and then paid too much anyway!

Got this today.

318 WR take down in its original case. Really long stocked so it fits me. Made circa 1906. Time to search for some ammo.

I'm thinking of getting German claw mounts installed on it and a straight tube scope. Case needs restoration so might as well get the scope fitted in there too.

Gun is good overall. Rifling isn't very crisp. Barrel and bottom iron reblued. Safety block replaced with a side swing safety. (making scope install easier) Just worn enough to justify taking to Africa.

I'm a little intimidated by the steel butt plate though! Looks like big ouch!

IMG_0028.JPG
IMG_0029.JPG
IMG_0030.JPG
IMG_0031.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't be afraid just remember to say to yourself each time before you shoot... I'm a grown ass man

Beautiful gun by the way I can see why you bought it

@rookhawk great looking rifle! congrats.

You know, one of these days you need to post a thread that gives us a tour through your gunroom. I'd love to see some of the gems you have hidden back in there!

Beautiful Rook!

I love old guns, that is a beauty. I can see why you bought it.

Heck of a find! Congrats.

She's a beauty

Beauty of a gun! You can always try a slip-on recoil pad that won't mar the stock for range and hunting. interested to see how it groups.

I too am interested in how it shoots. I called a friend that is an expert on WR rifles before I acquired it because I was concerned there wasn't a crisp edge to be found in the rifling. The opinion was, he'd not had a .318 that would not shoot, which gave me some comfort.

I've come to believe that the rifling is actually a bizarre patent rifling, not worn down. It looks like hills and valleys and as I searched the Net it looks like there was a Metford rifling and perhaps a proprietary version by WR and Whitworth also. I think that's what I've got.

Need to accumulate some ammo and give it a go. But first, some cleaning!

Love the slip on recoil pad idea. I need to see if my shotgun one will work.

Dude! Outstanding. My take-down shoots 1.5 with 250 gr Woodleighs. I haven't taken it to Africa yet, but it has taken whitetails with both SPs and solids. Both work :)

Congrats on the new gem!

R.

Yes, It is a WR with a G&H side mount. When I purchased it, it carried a 7/8 rings and a Lyman Alaskan. Probably originally purchased by an American, hence the mounts. I sent it to G&H and converted it to 1-inch rings. They work perfectly. Claws would be better, but both work. It is a between the wars rifle. Mine loves the 250 gr bullet and shoots woodleigh solids and softs into the same group. Virtually all of these rifles were, I believe, so regulated.

Ross Seyfried believes it is the most decisive "light" rifle ever built. And of course Bell loved his. You will be hard pressed to ever recover a solid fired at anything.

That is certainly a lovely old rifle that speaks of yesterday and at the same time is as modern as tomorrow when it would again prove why its chambering has been revered by hunters for so long.

Finally had a chance to look at your pics closely. We have almost identical rifles. The takedown lever on mine is mounted under the forearm, but other than that, they are twins. You too, I believe, have the dovetail on the base of the bolt. That was for the peep sight should it still be rattling around in the case. (like that case a lot) Finally took mine off the shelf and looked at the rifling and it is fairly rounded. It is more akin to Medford style than more modern, machine cut rifling. I have a Cogswell .318 of the same period built on an Enfield P-14 action, and it has the same sort of rifling (though a much longer barrel - it is not a take down). It is a true MOA rifle with the same 250 gr loads.

If you don't reload, getting rounds is an expensive proposition - the brass is the big issue, followed by bullets. Superior, American, and the like will charge you around eight bucks a round. The brass can be made from 30-06, but that can represent a travel issue. But, that will also cut costs by more than half. Kynoch hasn't made a run in a while, though you can find some on the auction sites. Be wary of any of the original British Kynoch because of the corrosive primers.

Great rifle - enjoy it. It is a fine madness isn't it?

RH and RL, you two keep this site moving in the best possible way! Rookhawk, congratulations on the new
110 year WR. I was looking at a .425 Westley Takedown two days ago. Didn't even ask the price! The one I saw a few months ago with a price on it was $25000. So I just moved on down the road!!!

Nice gun!

That's a beautiful rifle...I have a huge soft spot for older British rifles. I don't own any because, you know, $$$. If I were to stumble into a .350 Rigby that were in any way affordable though...

That's a beautiful rifle...I have a huge soft spot for older British rifles. I don't own any because, you know, $$$. If I were to stumble into a .350 Rigby that were in any way affordable though...
There we go again, damn money, always causing a problem, or I should say lack of is the problem!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarpathianHunters

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!