I couldn’t resist the 71

According to the well-kept records of the late gentleman that owned it, it is as it left the factory. His reasoning was that this was an early enough first year of ramped up production that they were doing whatever it took to get the 71's out, including using Deluxe components as necessary.
I can't tell you where he got his information or whether it is correct, just was what was written in his notes.
In those days Winchester would do pretty much what a customer was willing to pay for.

I always thought the 71 was a most handsome rifle and the .348 was a solid meat getter! I had the means to only get a BLR in .358.:E Blush:

The 1936 Winchester 71 performed like a champ this season and put two deer in the freezer.

69437123-5A69-44A6-B85B-7B404AB46343.jpeg

I miss my old lever guns… I used to have several, but traded and/or sold them off over the years when I was younger out of interest in other things (bolt actions, semi’s, pistols, etc)…

A 71 in the old 348 Winchester is on the top of my list for lever acquisition… love the lines on them

I miss my old lever guns… I used to have several, but traded and/or sold them off over the years when I was younger out of interest in other things (bolt actions, semi’s, pistols, etc)…

A 71 in the old 348 Winchester is on the top of my list for lever acquisition… love the lines on them
And just plain fun and enjoyable to shoot. You’d think with no pad it might get to you after a few, but it’s really not that noticeable. Just for the fun of it, I found myself firing quite a few more rounds than I needed to check the sights.

I can say for certain that a deer will not embark on a long journey after being hit by a .348, but not an ounce of meat loss either.
I’m pretty sure I saw the old gun smiling when that first one dropped. According to the previous owner, this gun hadn’t been hunted since the 40’s.

IMO, Winchester's best, most ergonomic lever rifle. Well worth the investment for anyone who likes lever guns. Basically identical to a Win Model 1886, but with practical "curves" :) I've owned and shot a few in both short and long tang, standard and deluxe. Only made by Winchester in 348 Win cal.

The bigger wildcat conversions like the 450 Alsaksan were originally done by Harold Johnson of Cooper Landing AK. The 450 AK generated so much more recoil, the front magazine connection to the barrel would break away when the rifle was fired... especially with a full mag. Johnson re-designed and beefed up that connection to solve the problem. The bolt peep always worked well for me. As an aside, I remember Johnson's original store front building on the main drag in Cooper Landing a few years ago- don't know if still there? I have a cousin who lives there but keep forgetting to ask him- old age! :)

Gotta love the old ammo boxes too

IMG_3766.jpg

Last edited:
I owned a Win M71 'Deluxe Rifle' in .348 and loved the old boomer. I just couldn't find the right venue for hunting it here in the western states. Great elk rifle in the timber, though.

Also, as a testament to the strength of the Winchester 86/71 action, those 450 Alaskan and 50 Alaskan conversions handled high pressure modern ammo without issue. One variation of a 71 conversion done by a different, IIRC west coast gunsmith, was chambered in something ballistically approaching the 450 Watts! Original and verifiable Johnson/Fuller 71 conversions have taken on collectible values of mythical proportions. I think most were barrel stamped “JKR”… Johnson Kenai Rifleworks. Sooo grab it if in the extremely unlikely event you stumble into one. ;)

Last edited:
Neat looking rifle :D Beers:
I always thought the 71 was the best looking rifle Winchester ever made. Love that curved pistol grip and short magazine. Just balances everything out. Never got the chance to shoot or buy one.

My cousin has a 71 with a 3 digit serial number that has been converted to .450 Alaskan. Had the bolt peep but recoil took it off. I shot it once to say I had. Hand load was hot enough to unlock the action slightly.
I got one from my mentor’s estate as stated on another thread. He always hoped the engraving was factory. I think not as it is a standard and not a deluxe. Serial number is 400x.
Hunted with it this year. Only shot I was comfortable with was on a button buck. I couldn’t justify it as my first blood with it. Even let it walk after bringing my 1911 the next evening. It walked directly underneath my stand. I must be getting soft in my old age as I have shot my share of yearlings.
89A64902-078D-4744-B3BB-2A477C1E7E1C.jpeg
E6529C25-9051-4E93-8F35-8C9A26050796.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GroverGood

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross