I am stoked

Welcome to AH sir. You are right the planning is a big part of the fun. There are many educational threads here on AH. Lot of fine outfitters on here as well some f whom visit the shows you mention.
Add to all this plenty f guys wh have hunted Africa that are willing to help....so just ask questions.

Here's where I am in my planning stage, I need to: 1) pick the country and ecosystem to hunt 2) determine if using flyer miles is an option for airfair to Africa 3) narrow my choice of outfitters down and visit them at the DSC and Houston Safari Club conventions next January 4) spend a lot of time right here!

Again, just excited to find this resource.

Hi, Andy Spencer, welcome to the forum!

I am African hunting begginer with experience of one hunt done, and one booked for this year.
But I passed the initial phases on research (books, this forum, other hunters) to some depth, including some of your questions and I will try to make some of my input from almost same perspective as yours.

1) country / ecosystem?
There are only two countries to consider when planning first safari. These two countries cover 80-85% of all hunters feedback reports on this forum.
South Africa, biggest number of species, hunters friendly place. Drawback (in my view) is that most hunting is done in fence.
Namibia, slightly less number of species, hunters friendly place. There are some fences, but most is free range hunting.
Both countries are only countries covering the hunt of big 5 species,
Both countries have very good economical prices for PG hunts, for average middle class hunter.

All other countries after RSA and NAM are, as I am certain, are great countries to hunt with some of their own local specialities. Other countries are less developed, so in most cases - it will mean hunting in true wilderness, true free range, free roaming game, but generally will be more costly for average hunter. (and I mean really more costly). To get to hunting areas very frequently you will need to hire local charter plane to access remote hunting area. Sometimes minimum number of hunting days will be requried for some species, etc .. This all brings the costs up. I am speaking of this not on experience, but on the information provided on this forum and various books and other sources.

Speaking other countries (after RSA and NAM), personally I have continous look for offers in Zimbabwe - looking for cheaper buffalo hunts (my wish for some of the future hunts), and Tanzania, for some of the PG species available to hunt only there (Grant and Tommy gazzele, etc).

Looking up North, for hunting in rain forests, countries like Camoeroun or CAR,. there are very exotic species two hunt, like Bongo, or giant Eland, but not many hunters go there. Generally is expensive. For rain forest hunt, in my view a hunter must develop motivation, and financial plan, strong will and be ready for hardships of hunting for weeks in the rain, low visiblity, etc ... thus not a hunt for begginer.

The bottom line is, for start go to South Africa or Namibia, get experience, and develop your own taste or priorities for future hunts. Once, with some experience from the local ground, you will get your bearings straight, and will know better where to go next.
You will see that many members of the forum keep returning to same countries (rsa, nam) year after year...

2) frequent flyer miles?
Yes, i used it. i got discount. If it is feasable, do it: meaning, that the miles are made on the airline company that has some connection to Africa.

3) outfitters of choice, DSC, SCI, etc?
Not my question. But somebody else may answer.
I am alien on this forum, I live in EU, whilst on the forum are mostly American hunters, but I dont complain!

4) spending time on forum? yes, by all means.
But, get some books as well.
I find all Africana books by Col. Craig Boddington very helpfull. They are most fresh with most updated information.
"African Experience", "Safari Rifles II", "Tracks acros africa", "Where lion roars"... etc...
Get subscription on some safari magazine: two that comes in mind are "Man-magnum", and "African hunting gazzete".

Do the homework, you will get better picture.

Welcome here

Any info you need please ask
Be glad to help

Hallo Andy Spencer. Welcome to AH! We are based in Namibia and have a family hunting ranch we opertate from and also have a 1 million acre free range concession in North - West of Namibia.
Please visit our website www.leopardlegend.com for more information on us, We will not be at DSC but we will be at Houston Safari Club next year. Have fun planning! Lwyk

Welcome to AH.com @Andy Spencer

Enjoy every moment, that's the most important!

Feel free to check out our website, we are a family operated outfitting company from Namibia that specialize in Free-Range hunting. We've got some great new videos running on our website.

My best,
Jacques

Welcome to AH!

Welcome aboard Andy. You've found the best site on the net to help you plan for your family safari. AH was a tremendous help to my boys and I when we went in 2016. There are a lot of "Subject Matter" experts that can be called upon to answer any questions you may have. Read and enjoy!

Welcome to the forum, most folks here are more than willing to help out. I did my first Safari last year to South Africa and had a great experience.

I’m going back this year to hunt in Zimbabwe, 28 days and counting!

If you have any additional questions that haven’t already been answered, PM me and I’ll get back to you when I can as I’m currently overseas.

Welcome to AH Andy!

PM sent.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

The Wintershoek Safaris Team

Welcome Sir

You definitely came to the right place. Many outfitters on here that will be able to provide you with exactly what you need

Enjoy the planning and let me know if we can be of any assistance

My best

Welcome lots of great people and great information. Good luck on your family adventure.

Welcome to the dark side, planning is half the fun. Enjoy the journey.

What a great resource, thanks for letting me join. Plain and simple, I am planning a safari in the next two years for myself and my family. I have four boys, currently 3, 6, 9 and 11. My 9 and 11 year olds are both hunters, and I'm looking to book an adventure to share with them. My wife has always wanted to go to Africa.

As with all my hunting pursuits, planning is half the fun. And what a big "half" planning to go to Africa is!

Here's where I am in my planning stage, I need to: 1) pick the country and ecosystem to hunt 2) determine if using flyer miles is an option for airfair to Africa 3) narrow my choice of outfitters down and visit them at the DSC and Houston Safari Club conventions next January 4) spend a lot of time right here!

Again, just excited to find this resource.
Welcome Andy! You can never go wrong in bringing your young family to Namibia - a wonderful place to introduce the boys to hunting, mum to Africa - and still the safest and most stable country in Africa. Take a look at our web site and free range trophies, determine your wish list and contact us to make it happen

Hi Andy!

Welcome to AH. PM Sent.

Wintershoek Greetings

Welcome Andy. This forum has a wealth of information from some extremely knowledgeable folks, enjoy!

Yes welcome sir. My first safari was in Namibia, loved it and I can’t wait to go back. Mr. Spots and I have a date with destiny!

Welcome. You have come to the right place. Ask questions as all the people here have great advice and helped me tremendously on my first Safari I just completed earlier this month. Africa is addicting let me warn you. I am planning a return trip already next year and only been home 10 days

Welcome Andy! Enjoy the site!

Welcome to AH Andy. Enjoy the forum, it's very addicting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FreemanHar

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you