Hyena taxidermy ideas

Still on the hunt for one after many failed attempts.
I envisioned a half mount with the front half, ( obviously ), coming thru, like parting, some tallish reeds or grass, mouth open, almost drooling on a stand with some ground cover, stones, bones etc.
Probably never happen now.

I'll tell you about mine if you want :ROFLMAO:. We has set out a bait of buffalo ribs but the savages were able to tear it from it's moorings and take off with it. Next we set out at night in a river flood plain with an electronic caller. Within 5 minutes we had 3 come investigate but only one lone male came within 50 yds. Once the light was turned on to shoot, you only have a few seconds and this one was no different. It immediately began to scamper left to right and I was able to get a shot into him as he ran. It was a little back and the PH finished him off after a 300 yd blood track.

View attachment 487735
Good recount! What rifle were you using?

Still on the hunt for one after many failed attempts.
I envisioned a half mount with the front half, ( obviously ), coming thru, like parting, some tallish reeds or grass, mouth open, almost drooling on a stand with some ground cover, stones, bones etc.
Probably never happen now.
Stuff the back half to, and stick it somewhere else for a truely "unique" mount!

Zimbabwe May 2022 - Lowveld Outfitters
Night calling with PH - Zane Bronkhurst

Colletts Taxidermy, Zimbabwe
Shoulder mount looking down, turning right with teeth growling.
Going to hang above entry door to bathroom.

Resized_20220521_201314.jpeg

For anyone wishing to read further about hyena hunting, here is the link to my contribution on another thread back in 2013.
https://www.africahunting.com/threads/hunting-hyena-how-many-have-hunted-one.747/page-5#post-88448

I didn't mention in that lengthy post something that might be of interest . . .

Spotted hyena are one of the very few mammals where an adult male is almost always smaller in body than an adult female. So be aware that if assessing two, or a group of hyenas, the largest bodied specimen will usually be a female.
In some African countries, the wildlife authorities impose a fine for killing a female, but with spotted hyena, the genitalia make both sexes appear to be male, so I'd bet that penalty is rarely enforced.

There is also much individual variation in pelage. I've found that generally young adults have more prominent spots, and make a more attractive rug, or mount. The spots fade somewhat in older specimens (at least that's been my observation with hyenas in Ethiopia).

As to mounting preference, if one's taxidermy budget and floor space permit, a full mount makes for a very unique trophy. If not, I favor a shoulder mount, mouth open.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
go789click

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois