Hyena taxidermy ideas

Rakman

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Just returned from my first trip to Africa. Had a great time in Zim. Took a variety of species but I believe my favorite is a spotted Hyena. I’m looking for taxidermy ideas for him,
Please share pics if so inclined. Thanks

I have never hunted Hyena, so my opinion shouldn’t hold much weight at all.

However I think a rug like that of a bear rug would look very nice.

Always thought they deserved a full body mount, but it’s always easy to spend others money.

I'm doing mine full body but incorporating into a small scene with my buff and bushbuck.

I’ve always wanted to hunt hyena but haven’t gotten the chance . If I ever do it will be a full body with an antelope skull or bones in its mouth. Preferably an impala or blesbok skull. I’ve seen this before but not sure of the taxidermist that did the work.

Just returned from my first trip to Africa. Had a great time in Zim. Took a variety of species but I believe my favorite is a spotted Hyena. I’m looking for taxidermy ideas for him,
I've thought of taking a Hyena a time or two, but haven't "pulled the trigger" on it yet. Can you tell us about the hunt?

I'll tell you about mine if you want :ROFLMAO:. We has set out a bait of buffalo ribs but the savages were able to tear it from it's moorings and take off with it. Next we set out at night in a river flood plain with an electronic caller. Within 5 minutes we had 3 come investigate but only one lone male came within 50 yds. Once the light was turned on to shoot, you only have a few seconds and this one was no different. It immediately began to scamper left to right and I was able to get a shot into him as he ran. It was a little back and the PH finished him off after a 300 yd blood track.

1662563100584.png

We had been hunting lion for several days having a mature male on trail camera when this guy also made an appearance on the camera. We started packing up our things at the end of a lion sit when I saw him near the bait and made short work of him. I’m quite excited as I have wanted one for a long time. The taxidermist my father used when I was a child had one in his shop and I thought it the most unique animal in the place.

F58A0630-0194-4014-8F0C-2A70623AF157.jpeg
D7E9856A-8327-457E-82DD-94D186E626AA.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

Antelope in delivery with the hyena pulling the fetus out. The image has always stuck with me. Real Africa.

IMG_0742.JPG

Brown hyaena, shot in the Northern Cape with 4Aces.

This guy was very interested in a some sheep they had in an enclosure in the farm, so when we came back to the camp after a day´s hunt, we went along the enclosure, to see if he was around, and there he was, walking briskly along the fence.

I quickly shot offhand with a .270, hit him, he tried to get up, shot him again.

Last edited:
When I shot one back in 2018, they could not be brought back. The landowner had a full body mount done, he was quite pleased. As that beast killed a ton of his livestock.

Does anyone have any examples of a Hyena tube skin?

I bet a case or tube skin hanging on the wall would look nice, wouldn't cost much either. A full rug with the head and paws done up would be great too.

A case skinned hyena would look great. Make sure the tannery knows that is how you want it if you go that route. I case skinned a bobcat and sent it to a tannery and the first thing they did was split the belly. Since then I have had an otter and coyote tanned but I sent explicit instructions on how I wanted them done.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CharlieRiggs

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross