Hyena attack in Kruger Park

Discussion in 'News & Announcements' started by Brent in Az, Jun 28, 2016.

1. Brent in Az

Brent in Az AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    USA - Az, NM, CO, MT, MN.
    Teen Suffers Severe Facial Wounds in South Africa Hyena Attack
    [​IMG]

Posted by Travis Smola

8 hours ago

The boy describes sound of hyena chewing his face as being similar to chips being crushed.
    South Africa’s Kruger National Park is one of the wildest places on earth and that fact was proven further during a hyena attack this past Sunday.

The times live reports the 15-year-old boy was camping with his parents within the park when a hyena entered a camping area and attacked him while he was sleeping at around 4:30 a.m.

“He was immediately rushed to the Medi Clinci in Nelspruit after receiving first aid service by a nurse who was also in the camp,” South African National Parks acting head of communications William Mabasa told the Times Live.

The boy was later identified as Erco Janse van Rensburg and reports the hyena actually dragged the boy by his face. The injuries were so severe, they forced doctors to perform major reconstructive surgery. It was no doubt a painful experience as News 24 reports doctors could not totally sedate the boy because of worries of his blood pressure dropping too far.

But perhaps the most blood-curdling detail of the attack came from the boy’s grandfather Basie Smalberger.he told reporters that once Janse van Rensburg was able to speak again, he described the sound of the hyena chewing on his face as similar to “chips breaking in a packet.”

The hyena responsible for the attack apparently remains at large after fleeing the scene. “The rangers came to the camp to look for the hyena but could not find her,” . “They however found a hole under the parameter fence where the animal could have came in. SANParks sincerely regrets the incident and sympathize with the family.”

Attached Files:

2. Patrick R

Patrick R AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    Botswana, Namibia, Zimbabwe, South Africa
    very bad...but this animal will try again, hopefully someone can do something about this...1rstly The problem in KNP is with US THE campers feeding animals alone the fenced line, this makes all animals not scared for humans and as an opportunist like Hyena are, they go for the small ones...2ndly, a lack of maintenance as indicated (hole in the fence) - someone is not patrolling the fence anymore...:whistle:

Eventually_Africa, Code4 and Roan like this.

3. Roan

Roan AH Enthusiast

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NHSA, SA Wingshooters, SA Hunters
    Hunted:
    South Africa, Zimbabwe, Namibia
    Agree with you 100 %

People think feeding the cute little animals is harmless.

Eventually_Africa, edward and Code4 like this.

4. Eventually_Africa

Eventually_Africa AH Enthusiast

Video/Photo:
    I'd like more details on how they chased the Hyena away, I was under the impression that they would only need moments to complete the kill. Glad I was wrong though.

5. BigJohnx13

BigJohnx13 AH Veteran

Video/Photo:
    Animals are very clever and dangerous. The problem is on TV and in photos you always see someone with an animal and it looks cute. The hyena look at the child as prey and attack him and not the adults. A few years ago in Australia there was a case where a crocodile enter a campsite and walk passed the tents were the adults was sleeping and entered the tent where the children slept and grab the smallest kid. Luckily he survived the attack. Always treat wild animals as very dangerous.

6. adgunner

adgunner AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    Canada (AB,SK,ON,QC,NB,NS) USA (TX,ME) South Africa (6) Argentina
    I am heading over in about two weeks to hunt Hyena near the park in about two weeks with Marius at KMG. While serving in the DRC with the Army we sometimes came upon victims of Hyena attacks, most reports or investigations showed they attacked folks sleeping and mostly went for the face, absolutely horrifying wounds.

7. lcq

lcq AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA CSSA
    Hunted:
    Canada, RSA
    Remind me again why there are no guns allowed in Kruger and other parks? I wilderness camp in Algonquin and always bring my ar7 or 410. Breaking the law, definitely, do I give a rats ass, hell no.

adgunner likes this.

8. Brent in Az

Brent in Az AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    USA - Az, NM, CO, MT, MN.
    I certainly feel bad for the kid, and hope the injuries heal. Getting pulled by the face, with some of the most powerful jaws in the animal kingdom, is a thing of nightmares.

9. Philip Glass

Philip Glass LIFETIME BRONZE BENEFACTOR AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA, Life SCI, Life DSC, Life EWA
    Hunted:
    RSA, Namibia, Kyrgyzstan, Austria, Australia, Zimbabwe, Texas
    Just last year there was a woman killed in Zimbabwe where I was hunting recently. She was evidently walking at night and sat down for a rest and they ate her. Hyenas are not cartoons they are killing machines. Look at the way their body is built. Couple that with the fact that tourists are always feeding and approaching wildlife too closely and you have this result.
    Regards,
    Philip

10. Clayton

Clayton AH Fanatic

Member of:
    NRA: Patriot Life Endowment Member, 2nd Amendment Foundation: Life Member LA Shooting Association: Life Member, Gun Owners of America: Annual Member SW LA Rifle & Pistol Club: Annual Member
    These events are always tragic. But wildlife and people? We are after all, the intruders trespassing in their territory.

11. kudu1

kudu1 AH Senior Member

Hunted:
    SA, Canada, Australia
    There are loads of stories about hyhena's attacking people while they sleep in their tents - I know a guy who went to school with me, who lost a foot to hyhena's.