Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
Black Sheep Bowmen Archery Club.
Hunted
Namibia and South Africa
Curiosity killed the cat.

So I've been looking at mechanicals, and as we all know they vary a lot. Probably more than standard heads. My draw to them isn't the usual better flight, honestly most heads shoot well in my opinion, it was greater wound channel. But it had to penetrate ebough for at least a double lung hit. So I settled on the hybrid types out in the past couple years. Looking over reviews I liked the Gravedigger chisel point. A four bladed head of a 1 inch fixed blade that was fairly bulletproof and expandable blades that cut a 1-3/4 inch width channel, wide but not excessive IMO. This evening I tested it out with three shots through my test target I've used for all my tests (I'm running out of uncut areas) with both 500.5 grain and 683 grain axis arrows.
Results
500.5 grain average depth- 49.74 cm
683 grain average depth- 51.17 cm
No blades broken or even bent.
Conclusions
They penetrated decently and held up well. The heavier arrows did penetrate better, but not by much. They did penetrate less than all fixed bladed heads I tested, but they still broke through both sides of the target, which in my view shows they'd work very well on light to average sized plains game like impala, springbok and warthog. They will be coming along for springbok on the license.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MorrisFloc

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg