hawkeyesatx

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Member of
Life Member NRA, Life Member DAV
Hunted
Coyote, Deer, Elk, Moose
As I had said in a previous post, I bought a sporterized Husqvarna M38 in 6.5x55!
When I finally got her back home I did an inspection of her, as I do every firearm that I buy. Immediately I found a few things wrong:
#1) The action screws were loose. So I tightened them.
#2) The scope that came with the rifle, had an exceptionally loose eye piece, which made me believe that it had been taken off, and the nitrogen gas inside probably bled out.
#3) When I went to change the scope out, I found out that the rings screws were loose as well. So I changed out the scope, for one I already had, and tightened the rings screws accordingly.
#4) The internal box magazine follower was jammed in the box. How, I don’t know. That was remedied within 2 minutes.

Now, there are some good things!
The bore is looks shiny, and has excellent rifling. The action locks up nice and tight, and is butter smooth.
Also, I know it’s kinda a “bubba-ized” sporterized M38, but it’s a decent one.
Anyways, here are a couple pics of her.

IMG_1202.jpg

IMG_1203.jpg

Hawkeyesatx, I've bought quite a few Swedes including a few M38(s). With a bright shiny bore I'm betting it will shoot just fine. Boyd's has aftermarket stocks if you want to dress it up a bit. I put one on my "Grandkid's gun" for about $150.00. For deer, hogs and pronghorn they can't be beat. American ammo except for Hornady's 140 Gr. SST is anemic. Norma's 156 Gr offerings (for factory stuff) is very good as well. To get the most out of your Swede you will have to reload for it.

Hawkeyesatx, I've bought quite a few Swedes including a few M38(s). With a bright shiny bore I'm betting it will shoot just fine. Boyd's has aftermarket stocks if you want to dress it up a bit. I put one on my "Grandkid's gun" for about $150.00. For deer, hogs and pronghorn they can't be beat. American ammo except for Hornady's 140 Gr. SST is anemic. Norma's 156 Gr offerings (for factory stuff) is very good as well. To get the most out of your Swede you will have to reload for it.

I am definitely going to be looking at Boyd’s for a replacement stock.
I will see if the rifle needs one first, and fire a few rounds to figure it out.

Hawk

Looks great. I’m a fan of old sporterized rifles myself.

if you want to try some 154-160 gr round nose bullets let me know. i shoot them in a few model 96 swedish rifles. my model 38 swede.

DSCN0915 (2).JPG
DSCN0917 (2).JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
if you want to try some 154-160 gr round nose bullets let me know. i shoot them in a few model 96 swedish rifles. my model 38 swede.

That’s a beautiful M38! WOW!

Yes, I would like to try some 154-160 gr bullets, if you’re giving them away.
Thank you for the offer!

Hawk

Hawkeyesatx, I tried 156 Gr. Norma Oryx in one of my Swedes several years ago. They shot very well. Unfortunately I haven't been to source just the projectiles so I switched over to 160 Gr. Woodleigh PP SP. They shoot well also.

Hawkeyesatx, I tried 156 Gr. Norma Oryx in one of my Swedes several years ago. They shot very well. Unfortunately I haven't been to source just the projectiles so I switched over to 160 Gr. Woodleigh PP SP. They shoot well also.

I know Woodleigh bullets are awesome bullets. A bit pricey, but they sure work!
Thank you for the info!

Hawk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edwardsrailcarcom00

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg