Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
life member NAHC NRA
Hunted
US, RSA, ZIM
I see there aren't any hunting reports for Zambia. Is there a reason for this? I am thinking of changing my plans to go to Zambia instead of Zimbabwe (long story). Anyone have any experience hunting in Zambia?

Never hunted there but it is famous for sable, sitatunga, lechwe, good lion, roan. Its also usually somewhat more costly than Zim and more like Tanzania. More likely to incur expensive charter flights to get to camp. Years ago cheap buff hunts were being run there and I almost bought into one but was talked out of it by an agent, who said it was a bit dicey going there, but that was over 25 years ago. Its worth looking into but be prepared to pay more.

Never been to Zambia, but like sestoppelman says it's a great destination for buffalo, lion, leopard, roan, sable, oribi, black and kafue lechwe, tsessebe and many other species. It's a little pricey because of the daily fees, but there is some really good quality. You are not going to see many hunting reports because, not to many hunts run through there compared to RSA or Namibia.

As mentioned above. a bit on the pricy side, however they have some great hunting zones. do your research on the animals you are looking for.

One of the few places where you can book a 21 day hunt and have good chance of getting 4 of the big 5 plus they have roan and sable if it is what you are looking for, plus they have good crocodile and hippo hunting.

The air charter could eat your lunch, obtain a firm price on air charter before booking your hunt. if you go this route do not be the first or last so you are able to share the charter expense...

enysse said that there are less hunts that go through Zambia as opposed RSA or Zim. Is this totally because of price or are there other reasons, less animals, location (harder to get to, inconvienient), less outfitters etc.

We have a agent steering us in this direction, it seems that the buf are great from the photos we have seen but haven't had a lot of time to research.

So far the prices seem fair but need to check on the extra flights.

Thanks for the input thus far.

Like most of us said, its more costly than RSA or Zim. Dailys are usually higher, trophy fees the same plus the added costs of charter flights on many hunts there. It all adds up.

There are a lot less outfitters in Zambia. I care to bet there are less than 30 operations....if that. Here is a great website to learn about Zambia African Safari Hunting with safariBwana

I think Zambia and Mozambique are great places to hunt. They require more money. But they are great places to get game that is not available free range in the lower parts of Africa. As far as game, there is abundant populations with the right outfitter. The reason there aren't more safari's is cost. I like to hunt more than one animal....more like 6 to 8 and that can set you back 20,000 to 30,000 dollars....which in this economy is hard to explain to the wife and kids.

If someone can afford it, find a good outfitter and go. I know people that have done it and never regretted it. I wish you the best of luck Jamie.

Zambia is a great wild Safari destination BUT that comes with a step up in price.
Northern Mozambique is another good option at rates similar to the top grade Safaris of Zim.
I've hunted with Kambako African Safaris - Mozambique, Africa on three safaris over several weeks and will be there again this season.
Note; I do also enjoy hunting in Zim and would one day love to hunt Zam as its just beautiful from what I saw whilst travelling through.
What are you after?

When we planned to hunt in Zim our hunting group (2 hunters) was after buffalo, leopard and sable. I'd still like that buffalo but sitatunga is something my friend would be very interested in. We are open to whatever is good in the area for the most part.

The guy I mentioned you to contact about Zambia, can tell you the best time to hunt Sitatunga. To me it's a highly desirable hunt! Not cheap, but a great hunt and experience! But it's a specialized affair and for a 2 person hunt...I'll be honest....your both will have to be interested in hunting sitatunga to make it worth your wild! The buffalo and leopard can be hunted in Zim, Moz., and Zambia. It will not be a cheap hunt at all. and I would recommend 14 to 16 days at a minimum if you want to maximize your chances of sucess...if you can only do 10 days or so....just do buffalo and plains game. Leopard hunting can be hit and miss and the longer time maximizes your chances of coming home with what you went to Africa in the first place for. Buffalo and plains game is definitely affordable!

JamieD

Until the 2 of you sit down and make a final decision on your trophy list, this forum information will just be so-so guide lines of help to you.

Every specialized game or big 5 animal that you add to your final trophy want list will narrow the country and the PH hunting block down to fit your final decision. At that time you need to contact and outfitter or PH's and book your hunt with them.

As enysse indicated there are best times to hunt game animals that will increase your odds of success.

And do not be surprised that the better outfitters & PH's are booked out for a couple of years for these best dates.

And you are so right James, the best outfitters, that are masters of their own domain, are booked out years ahead of time.

If I was going leopard hunting, I would want to have the area...pre-baited. In Zambia, that is illegal. For me that's a huge turn off....part of the reason is greed on the Zambia government side.

I think a sitatunga hunt is almost a hunt within a hunt..it's very specialized!

Moz and Zim have buffalo and leopard...it's the matter of finding the right outfitter that has experience and time to do the hunt.

Otherwise the safe answer is cape buffalo and plains game hunt. Because I believe that kind of hunt has the less chance of things going wrong in a short period of time...in a hunt that was put together at the last second.

The last thing you need is a bad hunt.

When we planned to hunt in Zim our hunting group (2 hunters) was after buffalo, leopard and sable. I'd still like that buffalo but sitatunga is something my friend would be very interested in. We are open to whatever is good in the area for the most part.

I will be in Moz hunting the same as your original list (Buff, Leopard and Sable along with other game such as Hyena, Bushbuck and Eland) whilst my hunting partner is after Buff, Sable and Lion.
The Sitatunga will be the Crux of the hunt.
SANY0172.jpg

Attachments

• SANY0172.jpg
    SANY0172.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 115

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
markekcertifications

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you