Hunting Zambia vs Tanzania

matt tonioli

AH member
Reaction score
I’m new to forum obviously. I have introduced myself and have been watching following for some time. I have a question for you old pros. I have been considering buffalo and or leopard hunts and seem to be narrowing things down to Zambia and Tanzania. I’m still open but getting there on where I want to hunt. I am wondering what you guys have run into while hunting in these 2 countries? Pros/cons? Where you would recommend to have the wildest Africa experience or any other advice that you won’t get from general reading. Appreciate your time. Thanks!

I have not hunted Tanzania. I have hunted the upper Luangwa valley in Zambia. Beautiful and wild. This is an area that gets burned every year. I would highly recommend timing your hunt after the burning is likely to be complete. The leopard and buffalo population was outstanding in this area and the hunting was done properly.

I have hunted both. Depending on where you hunt Zambia, it can be just as wild as Tanzania. Personally, I would choose Zambia, Luangwa valley.. Munyamadzi Corridor.

I don't see how you can go wrong either way. Both are, or can be, wild.

For leopard I think it can be argued that the Luangwa Valley and parts of Tan such as Ruaha are the best anywhere.

Research, research, research....

Do that and you won't go wrong with either.

I much prefer Tanzania, its the closest thing to a Safari of yesteryear, all tented camps , and the largest of buffalo by a good bit has been my experience, also I like the weather better.

I booked a number of hunts in Zambia some years ago and sent clients there, my clients paid the down payment in advance as per usual on safari..The gov. closed hunting and refused any money to leave the country and many hunters lost their deposits!! Fortunatly my PH was from So. Africa and all our deposits were refunded as he kept his money in a So. African bank...That was a close one for all of us, and Ive never booked a hunt for anyone since that time..Always take a look at the political problem before you book in any country..Ive seen lot of heat ache in most of the 3rd world countries by hunters in the last 60 or more years prior to my retirement in the hunting business.

I much prefer Tanzania, its the closest thing to a Safari of yesteryear, all tented camps , and the largest of buffalo by a good bit has been my experience, also I like the weather better.

I booked a number of hunts in Zambia some years ago and sent clients there, my clients paid the down payment in advance as per usual on safari..The gov. closed hunting and refused any money to leave the country and many hunters lost their deposits!! Fortunatly my PH was from So. Africa and all our deposits were refunded as he kept his money in a So. African bank...That was a close one for all of us, and Ive never booked a hunt for anyone since that time..Always take a look at the political problem before you book in any country..Ive seen lot of heat ache in most of the 3rd world countries by hunters in the last 60 or more years prior to my retirement in the hunting business.

Insurance . . .

Thanks for the responses so far much appreciated. And I thought Zambia was the more stable country.

I have only hunted Tanzania but I think that Zambia probably is the most stable at this moment, but things change very quickly on that continent.

Tanzania can have its problems too, but I’m sure both would give you a great experience

it flags me on here for breaking rules with the link, but google “Tanzania hunting operators turn over blocks” it will be first result

I would concur with post above. I have hunted both Zambia and Tanzania several times. I hunted leopard and buff in both countries and would tell you with the right area and outfitter, you could flip a coin and be happy with either. Both have major cities, Lusaka and Dar Es Salaam that are easy to fly into and have superb and safe pre/post accommodations. I never felt unsafe in either country. And both were truly wild and exciting safari locations. Best of luck in your safari pursuits.

I’m new to forum obviously. I have introduced myself and have been watching following for some time. I have a question for you old pros. I have been considering buffalo and or leopard hunts and seem to be narrowing things down to Zambia and Tanzania. I’m still open but getting there on where I want to hunt. I am wondering what you guys have run into while hunting in these 2 countries? Pros/cons? Where you would recommend to have the wildest Africa experience or any other advice that you won’t get from general reading. Appreciate your time. Thanks!
Hi Matt,
I have hunted Tanzania, Mozambique, Zimbabwe and CAR. I am headed to Zambia in July of 2022. I have done a lot of research. My hunting partner may not be able to make it. If you want to travel with someone and share camp at times, let me know. We might be a good fit because I am not after buffalo or leopard this time. I am after roan, sable, sitatunga and the lechwe species. Let me know if you want some details in a PM.
Thanks, Scott

Hi Matt,
I have hunted Tanzania, Mozambique, Zimbabwe and CAR. I am headed to Zambia in July of 2022. I have done a lot of research. My hunting partner may not be able to make it. If you want to travel with someone and share camp at times, let me know. We might be a good fit because I am not after buffalo or leopard this time. I am after roan, sable, sitatunga and the lechwe species. Let me know if you want some details in a PM.
Thanks, Scott
That is a kind offer. May I ask who you will be going with and what area you are planning to hunt ?

When I hunt Tanzania for the money paid it should be nothing short of an amazing experience. Wishing you a great experience and journey.

When I hunt Tanzania for the money paid it should be nothing short of an amazing experience. Wishing you a great experience and journey.

Agreed. Tanzania is an absolutely magical place...

Both countries offer fantastic wild hunting areas...but some areas in each country are a lot better than others....I love some of the areas i have been to in Tanzania...but am obviously going to push Zambia...but as long as you choose the best areas in either country you will have an amazing time

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MollieTwop

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg