Hunting trucks

IMG_7642.jpeg

From 1972 until 1996 my hunting truck was a 1972 Ford F 250 that for 24 years it hauled many tons of hay for my horses, firewood, and it took my horses and wall tent to my hunting areas, and brought home many deer, elk, antelope, bighorn rams, moose, and a mountain goat from those hunting trips.

Since 1985 I've had 3 Subaru Outbacks that I occasionally used as hunting vehicles mostly on pronghorn antelope hunts, but I did bring an elk home in it one year, and the last year that Quebec allowed non-resident Caribou hunting I brought my Caribou rack home to Montana from the Denver airport. It was a B&C rack so I didn't want to split the antlers, so it rode on top.
jKTuvBql.jpg

In 1996 I bought a '97 Ford F 250 7.3 diesel for my hunting rig. I have a slide-in 8.5' camper for it that we've had some great camping and hunting trips with it. Here it is on opening morning of Antelope season last year where I just slept in the back with the topper that I usually keep on it.
qpLpVJDl.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
View attachment 530800My current one-I’ve really liked this truck. I had a ford 150 before this one and it was also a good vehicle. It’s amazing how much the tech improves from one year to the next-
At first glance I thought that was a skeleton on the ground this side of the vehicle... :E Rofl:

Haha-just the rocks surrounding the fire pit.

From 1972 until 1996 my hunting truck was a 1972 Ford F 250 that for 24 years it hauled many tons of hay for my horses, firewood, and it took my horses and wall tent to my hunting areas, and brought home many deer, elk, antelope, bighorn rams, moose, and a mountain goat from those hunting trips.

Since 1985 I've had 3 Subaru Outbacks that I occasionally used as hunting vehicles mostly on pronghorn antelope hunts, but I did bring an elk home in it one year, and the last year that Quebec allowed non-resident Caribou hunting I brought my Caribou rack home to Montana from the Denver airport. It was a B&C rack so I didn't want to split the antlers, so it rode on top.
jKTuvBql.jpg

In 1996 I bought a '97 Ford F 250 7.3 diesel for my hunting rig. I have a slide-in 8.5' camper for it that we've had some great camping and hunting trips with it. Here it is on opening morning of Antelope season last year where I just slept in the back with the topper that I usually keep on it.
qpLpVJDl.jpg
I'd have left that caribou rack on top of my car for a while and drove around like that. Beautiful caribou. Nice dog too.

My wife had a Subaru wagon 30 years ago when we got married. She sold it to a friend of mine and he used it for his hunting/fishing/trapping rig. It was great for pulling ice houses out when the ice wasn't thick enough for a big pickup. AWD that got 30 mpg.

The '14 Tundra was my hunting rig until I acquired the white '89 'yota pickup. I wasn't quite 5 years old when that tough little pickup was made. She's going to get a solid axle swap and an exo cage soon. I need to slam the seat to the floor because I can touch the sun roof with the top of my head and I am only average height.

Funny part abt the Tundra was when I was racially profiled at the Canadian border. I pulled up to the guard shack in Victoria and the RCMP/border guard/whatever they call them in Canadianese started our conversation with, "shut off your engine!" Not sure where he thought I was was going to run on an island. Anyway, he followed that up with, "judging by what you are driving I assume you carry a gun all the time." Whoa. I mean, the first thing I did was go full Greta with thinking "how dare you!" The second and third things were, "damn, this guy is good" and "I guess racial profiling really does work." LOL

20221223_105310.jpg
IMG_1036.JPEG

Last edited by a moderator:
I have been driving Ford Super Duty trucks since 2004. I use it to get to my hunting/fishing areas then use ATVs or rafts to get to where I need to go.
1682878342451.jpeg

The white 2004 F-250 w/ 6.0 in the picture gave up its ghost a couple years ago. So now I have a 2020 F-350 w/ 6.7 that I drive daily.

I have been driving Ford Super Duty trucks since 2004. I use it to get to my hunting/fishing areas then use ATVs or rafts to get to where I need to go.
View attachment 531003
The white 2004 F-250 w/ 6.0 in the picture gave up its ghost a couple years ago. So now I have a 2020 F-350 w/ 6.7 that I drive daily.
The 20 and up 6.7 Powerstroke motors with the 10 speeds are beasts !

While my 2014 Fx4 is the most capable PU I've ever owned, it is not a hunting rig.

IMG_4080.jpg

@buffybr 's post reminded me however that sometimes "you gotta do what you gotta do with what you got". A Corolla is all I had at the time to get a moose from air freight to my house. Sooo...

IMG_4081.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarpathianHunters

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!