Hunting trends

JamesJ

AH elite
Reaction score
Deals & offers
Media
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
I could not think of a better way to phrase it, but usually over the course of the season, I can gauge interest pretty well on whats in "vogue" as far as trophies go. But this past year or two people have been all over the map. So I thought I would pose the question here and gauge interest on what hunts you would be looking for in the future. I'm not looking for dream hunts but more of realistic hunts you are planning or in the planning stages for the next year or so?

Well, I can tell you that I'm building points in the USA. Hunting is getting expensive in general. Still would like to go on Alaska moose hunt. But realistic probably mule deer or elk trip DYI somewhere out West.

I have given up on points, for the good areas and hunts, i was born a generation too late. my ADD wont allow me to wait 5-10 years for a hunt. I took a great moose in BC a couple years ago, but moose in Ak are still on my list as well.

Having given up on the Big 5 a few years ago - unlikely to bag a rhino - I decided to focus on the 9 spiral horned antelope. Only problem is the places you need to go for the mountain nyala, Lord Derby and bongo. Having said that, I have 6 of the 9, and am planning a trip to Cameroon in 2015 for the Derby and Ethiopia for 2016 for the last two.

The spiral horned seen to be getting more popular, based on discussions I've had with other hunters.

Hi James, Very good question.

What I am considering for the near future:
1. Australia for a buffalo hunt.
2. Argentina for a mixed bag hunt.
3. Namibia for a mixed plains game hunt.
4. Possible tusk-less elephant.
5. Possible Hippo and Croc hunt.
6. Leopard Hunt ...

Just realized that some African governments are pricing the average hunter out of the picture. Prices will continue to increase and my income is flat (being retired).

Plus, Not wanting to dig into my savings to take a safari. Therefore all trips taken will have to be paid for by budgeting my monthly income.

I have given up on points, for the good areas and hunts, i was born a generation too late. my ADD wont allow me to wait 5-10 years for a hunt. I took a great moose in BC a couple years ago, but moose in Ak are still on my list as well.

I hear you, I have been buying points for over dozen years, so within the next 20 years some good memories and hunts will happen!

I think I fall into the all over the board category.... My next two planned hunts are - buff/hippo in Zim, then PG in SA.

After that, it will come down at least in some part to cost.... There are plenty of hunts around the world and here in the U.S. that I still want to do. Once I recover from the cost of the two I have planned I'll base the next choice on value. The only exception is that I still want to do a sheep hunt, and I'm not getting any younger....

If we are talking North America:
1. AB Bighorn
2. Unimak for Browns
3. Good Pronghorn Hunt somewhere
4. NM Ibex if I can ever figure out who to bribe for a permit;)

Interesting question.

Beyond what I have already booked my next foreign hunt will probably be either:

1. Namibia or RSA pg hunt with son if he wants to go and has the time. (always best to hunt and make memories with the ones you love.)
2. Zambia for sable plus other unique Zambian species.
3. Australia for buff.
4. A smoking hot end of season deal that I can't pass up.

If we are talking North America:
1. AB Bighorn
2. Unimak for Browns
3. Good Pronghorn Hunt somewhere
4. NM Ibex if I can ever figure out who to bribe for a permit;)

I would love a NM ibex! Archery might be the only way to have a chance at them.

I would love a NM ibex! Archery might be the only way to have a chance at them.
I know, might have to put down the high power and start flinging twigs in order to get a permit.

I know, might have to put down the high power and start flinging twigs in order to get a permit.

To get to hunt some places/animals like this is the only reason I'm even considering getting a bow...

Back to Wyoming in Oct. for our annual DIY muley & pronghorn hunt. This will be my 30th year trekking to WY in Oct. Then on to Alaska in Nov. for blacktails & ducks, with my son. Hopefully back to Namibia in 2015 for more PG.

For me it is my daughters first turkey hunt here in Ohio. Hopefully a successful one!
Then I am going out on a limb for myself and doing a DIY pronghorn hunt in Wyoming as well. I just need to pick an area!! I cant decide so any help would be appreciated!! Got to get the application in soon.

Gotta say I am looking hard at Buff,Eland, Roan and Sitatunga.

Thinking Eland and Sitatunga this year, Buff and Roan next year... with a sprinkling of smaller PG in there somewhere for good measure!!

If all the stars align as planned this year, wifey aint gonna be seeing much of me next year and that wish list may grow... slightly... :rockon:

Gotta say I am looking hard at Buff,Eland, Roan and Sitatunga.

Thinking Eland and Sitatunga this year, Buff and Roan next year... with a sprinkling of smaller PG in there somewhere for good measure!!

If all the stars align as planned this year, wifey aint gonna be seeing much of me next year and that wish list may grow... slightly... :rockon:

Pete,
Not the cheapest hunt, but we can help you with Sitatunga in Zambia. While you are there, you can look at Kafue and Black Lechwe.

Best regards,
Marius Goosen

Pete,
Not the cheapest hunt, but we can help you with Sitatunga in Zambia. While you are there, you can look at Kafue and Black Lechwe.

Best regards,
Marius Goosen

marius petes saved on the airfare already, as he lives in zambia......:biggrin2:

Marius,
Thanks for the offer bwana, will definitely keep it in mind... as if I wasn't stretching already, lets just add a couple of lechwe on there :tongue: heh heh... :whoo:
but wait, what about... :daydreaming:
ah bugger... now you've gone and messed with my head properly!! :doh2:
better not let the missus see this post!!!

For me in the next few years it will be
1 Europe for Mouflon and either Fallow or Chamois.
2 Australia - Buff and some kind of deer.
3 New Zealand - Red Stag
4 South America - Blackbuck and Brocket
5 Possibility of drawing high quality Elk, Desert Sheep. I said possibility, not probability! LOL
6 if one of the outfitters I used to guide for has a cancellation and a killer last minute deal. Dall or Stone Sheep.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chandaokelle05

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg