Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Europe
Hunted
Namibia, South Africa, Botswana, Mozambique, Canada, USA, Mexico, England
Interesting

How smart were human-like species of the Stone Age? New research reveals surprisingly sophisticated adaptations by early humans living 250,000 years ago in a former oasis near Azraq, Jordan.

The residual remains of butchered animals including horse, rhinoceros, wild cattle and duck -- on stone tools. The discovery draws startling conclusions about how these early humans subsisted in a very demanding habitat, thousands of years before Homo sapiens first evolved in Africa.

The team excavated 10,000 stone tools over three years from what is now a desert in the northwest of Jordan, but was once a wetland that became increasingly arid habitat 250,000 years ago. The team closely examined 7,000 of these tools, including scrapers, flakes, projectile points and hand axes (commonly known as the "Swiss army knife" of the Paleolithic period), with 44 subsequently selected as candidates for testing. Of this sample, 17 tools tested positive for protein residue, i.e. blood and other animal products.

".............. we have direct evidence of exploitation by our Stone Age ancestors of specific animals for subsistence," says Nowell.

Residue of Rhino was found on this tool.
(Maybe these guys were the first poachers :ROFLMAO:)

160808123824_1_540x360.jpg

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2016/08/160808123824.htm

https://www.thestar.com/news/canada...w-250000-year-old-rhino-blood-from-stone.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Very interesting. I wish the article in the link had more photos and information.

Scientists don't seem to have good publicist.

Interesting

How smart were human-like species of the Stone Age? New research reveals surprisingly sophisticated adaptations by early humans living 250,000 years ago in a former oasis near Azraq, Jordan.

The residual remains of butchered animals including horse, rhinoceros, wild cattle and duck -- on stone tools. The discovery draws startling conclusions about how these early humans subsisted in a very demanding habitat, thousands of years before Homo sapiens first evolved in Africa.

The team excavated 10,000 stone tools over three years from what is now a desert in the northwest of Jordan, but was once a wetland that became increasingly arid habitat 250,000 years ago. The team closely examined 7,000 of these tools, including scrapers, flakes, projectile points and hand axes (commonly known as the "Swiss army knife" of the Paleolithic period), with 44 subsequently selected as candidates for testing. Of this sample, 17 tools tested positive for protein residue, i.e. blood and other animal products.

".............. we have direct evidence of exploitation by our Stone Age ancestors of specific animals for subsistence," says Nowell.

Residue of Rhino was found on this tool.
(Maybe these guys were the first poachers :ROFLMAO:)

View attachment 157061

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2016/08/160808123824.htm

https://www.thestar.com/news/canada...w-250000-year-old-rhino-blood-from-stone.html

Hi BRICKBURN,

Your post on this recent archeological dig, in what is now Northern Jordan is quite interesting, thanks for posting same, I love it.
If I was not so lazy, I might have clawed my way through a College Degree in Anthropology, as I find human behavior, to include especially Hunter-Gatherer behavior, as well as Humanity's cultural trends, (then and now), very fascinating (understatement).

That being said:
For yourself and anyone else interested in observing what the ancient hunter-gatherer peoples looked like, acted like and probably smelled like, I invite you to loiter around in the Downtown Anchorage Bus Station for an afternoon.
Pretty much everyone is represented there (but not before about noon, as they are not "early risers" by any stretch of the imagination).

Among others, you will definitely see the missing link known as "Lucy" (related to Australopithecus? - mighty long voyage from Gundwana Land to Seward's Folly up here), through "Neanderthal Ned," also Cro-Magnon Man and Cro-Magnon Woman no doubt, (although gender is not always obvious, with some of these bus station dwellers).
Ebu Gogo, Homo Erectus (believed by some folks, to have bashed their heads together in order to win females for mating), Homo Habilis, and Paranthropus Boisei are all there, alive and well as ever, (obviously enjoying complete success in resisting evolution).
Some even act as if intellectually, they are still stuck at the fish with lungs stage.
Anyway, they're all just "hanging around" the Bus Station here every day, no particular place to go, no obvious reason to be there, except to drink alcohol from a bottle within a paper bag (and/or to buy and sell drugs of course).

I have not seen any of them bashing their heads together but they are generally very quarrelsome, seemingly over pretty much nothing in particular.
They do fashion weapons out of whatever they can find and during their frequent quarrels, they appear enthusiastic to stab or bludgeon each other with these.
It likely will remind any casual observer of a couple scenes from that recent Hollywood movie, "Night At The Museum" or, the older one "Quest For Fire," if not other similar themed movies as well.

Seriously, thanks again for posting the articles, I really do find such things very fascinating (in spite of my smartazz comments about the under-powered characters in my local bus station).

Cheers,
Velo Dog (King of The Cave Men).

Last edited:
Hi BRICKBURN,

Your post on this recent archeological dig, in what is now Northern Jordan is quite interesting, thanks for posting same, I love it.
If I was not so lazy, I might have clawed my way through a College Degree in Anthropology, as I find human behavior, to include especially Hunter-Gatherer behavior, as well as Humanity's cultural trends, (then and now), very fascinating (understatement).

That being said:
For yourself and anyone else interested in observing what the ancient hunter-gatherer peoples looked like, acted like and probably smelled like, I invite you to loiter around in the Downtown Anchorage Bus Station for an afternoon.
Pretty much everyone is represented there (but not before about noon, as they are not "early risers" by any stretch of the imagination).

Among others, you will definitely see the missing link known as "Lucy" (related to Australopithecus? - mighty long voyage from Gundwana Land to Seward's Folly up here), through "Neanderthal Ned," also Cro-Magnon Man and Cro-Magnon Woman no doubt, (although gender is not always obvious, with some of these bus station dwellers).
Ebu Gogo, Homo Erectus (believed by some folks, to have bashed their heads together in order to win females for mating), Homo Habilis, and Paranthropus Boisei are all there, alive and well as ever, (obviously enjoying complete success in resisting evolution).
Some even act as if intellectually, they are still stuck at the fish with lungs stage.
Anyway, they're all just "hanging around" the Bus Station here every day, no particular place to go, no obvious reason to be there, except to drink alcohol from a bottle within a paper bag (and/or to buy and sell drugs of course).

I have not seen any of them bashing their heads together but they are generally very quarrelsome, seemingly over pretty much nothing in particular.
They do fashion weapons out of whatever they can find and during their frequent quarrels, they appear enthusiastic to stab or bludgeon each other with these.
It likely will remind any casual observer of a couple scenes from that recent Hollywood movie, "Night At The Museum" or, the older one "Quest For Fire," if not other similar themed movies as well.

Seriously, thanks again for posting the articles, I really do find such things very fascinating (in spite of my smartazz comments about the under-powered characters in my local bus station).

Cheers,
Velo Dog (King of The Cave Men).

:A Banana::A Big Hello::A Hold Breath::A No1::A Way To Go::A Yell::E Celebrate::E Dancing::E Happy:

No question in my mind, completely confident that this is the Africa Hunting 2016 winner for post of the year!

He does write some contenders.

There is a really neat documentary on Netflix about prehistoric man called, if I remember correctly, "Cave of forgotten Dreams". A cave in France was found dating back some thousands upon thousands of years ago. The entrance had caved in and vertually sealed it in a time capsul. I found it interesting anyway. Check it out if you have a spare hour. I had to watch it for a college class a few semesters ago and was pleasantly surprised with it.

Very interesting!

@Velo Dog you made me blow coffee out of my nose while in Monday morning conference! Lol
Your story is true I'm quite sure as I have been to the Walmart in Fairbanks. I almost passed on the actual hunt to just wander the isles of Walmart on a disgusting photo safari of sorts.
I will be there on sept 6th this time with my camera in hand!
Thanks for the laugh and thanks for the story Brickburn
Cheers,
Cody

@Velo Dog you made me blow coffee out of my nose while in Monday morning conference! Lol
Your story is true I'm quite sure as I have been to the Walmart in Fairbanks. I almost passed on the actual hunt to just wander the isles of Walmart on a disgusting photo safari of sorts.
I will be there on sept 6th this time with my camera in hand!
Thanks for the laugh and thanks for the story Brickburn
Cheers,
Cody

Hi Cody,

You are spot-on about the Fairbanks Wal-Mart.

I think some of the "shoppers" who wander around in there might actually be zombies and trolls (no ... really, I seriously mean that - just kidding, sort of).

If you have any down-time in Anchorage, and would like to get the synopsized version of which gun stores, restaurants and etc. are worth visiting, just PM me in advance for my contact info.

Either way, good luck to you on your Alaskan trip.

Cheers,
Paul.

Thanks Paul,
I will look at my flight itinerary. If not this time, soon. I'd love to make it up for one of the big bore shoots and meet You guys!
Cheers,
Cody

Thanks Paul,
I will look at my flight itinerary. If not this time, soon. I'd love to make it up for one of the big bore shoots and meet You guys!
Cheers,
Cody

Well you'd be more than welcome to join us for any of the shoots around here that, are announced in AfricaHunting.com, about 2 or 3 times each spring through fall.

I think Matt85 who, lives in Washington State, may have made it to as many or more of the shoots than I have, and I jolly well live here.

Thanks for sharing, it is amazing they can still pick up DNA after 250,000 years. Forrest

Fast forward another 100,000 years and what will our "Age" be called? Then again, at the rate we're going, I doubt we'll even be here.:unsure:

Using an atlatl in Missouri is an accepted hunting method, here is a 15 year old girl with a properly harvested doe. To those who need to know, an Atlatl is a throwing assisted spear. I am proud of my state for allowing this method.

576297D4-1EB3-49CD-98AE-E184285EF8C6.png

Last edited by a moderator:
At our SE Dallas Walmart they seem to take the "one size fits all tube top" as a challenge. From the stresses they put on those garments, I believe they could be used for vehicle tow straps.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BrittGibb4

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross