Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Cleveland Gun Club
Hunted
Zimbabwe, SouthAfrica
Yes, you can indeed hunt tigers in Africa, the aquatic variety! Pound for pound they are probably every bit as energetic as their feline namesake, and once you have experienced a tiger on the end of your line leaping far into the air life will never be the same. Widely acknowledged as one of the finest fresh water game fish, tiger are vicious predators that rank highly for their magnificent fight. Several safari operators combine tiger fishing along with their buffalo hunt specials, and with a small stretch that can be expanded into the most challenging McNab that the planet has to offer - a buffalo bull, a guineafowl and a tiger, all in 24 hours. That puts paid to any anticlimax after you put your buff in the salt, the clock begins to tick!
For those avid anglers who catch the bug, Zimbabwe hosts an annual tiger fishing tournament at Lake Kariba. We fish this event every year and it is the highlight of our sporting calendar. So come on AH'ers, pit your skills against scales and teeth as well as those curly horns- great fun.
3D88932E-4351-4FB1-9D36-8F9B31E9C192.jpeg

I did a little fishing in the Okavango in 1990, but only caught a couple of bream. We didn't catch any tigerfish.

I'll be on the Zambezi River in a few weeks. Annual "Tiger hunt"/ pilgrimage Squire. Praying the water warms, mopani leaves break cover with the first real valley rains and cause a frenzy down Mongwe way...

I'll be on the Zambezi River in a few weeks. Annual "Tiger hunt"/ pilgrimage Squire. Praying the water warms, mopani leaves break cover with the first real valley rains and cause a frenzy down Mongwe way...
Lucky you, enjoy it Arthur. They have had some pretty impressive catches down Chewore way, the river seems to be in good condition.

The Kariba Tiger Fish Tournament was last week, and it was super tough. Apparently the water was too warm at 86F and the barometric pressure was too high - fussy buggars these tiger. 48 teams entered, down from the usual 100 or so, but still a good effort in these covidized times. I fished with my two daughters and son in law, they outfish me every time, but very special to be together. We fish in the catch and release section and choose to use spinning only, no bait, so true hunting. We managed 29th position, not too bad.
C903E729-626D-4CC0-9CB2-1D4FB2481015.jpeg
With the ambient around 37 degrees and on your feet casting the whole time is makes a little lunchtime nap mandatory!

Nice, please post pics. Is that lower Zambezi?

Nice, please post pics. Is that lower Zambezi?

Yup...very lower zambezi...bout 20kms or so up from luangwa boma or kanyenba on zim side. Probably not much fishing as louise bday so be more booze cruise with attempts at fishing thrown in...:A Band::D Beer Draft::D Beer Bottle::D Beers::E Big Grin:

In case we dont catch ...here is one she caught last time... :A Thumbs Up:

IMG-20200703-WA0068.jpg

Last edited:
Enjoy...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jhonmark007

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg