AH fanatic
Reaction score
Deals & offers
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Rowland Ward (RW) & Association des Guides de Grande Chasse (AGGC)
Hunted
senegal, guinea, ivory coast, burkina faso, benin, cameroun, central africa, tanzania, zimbabwe, south africa
I had the privilege to see, to photograph and to hunt 4 of the 5 species of the African buffalo.
West African savanna buffalo
Central African savanna buffalo
Dwarf forest buffalo
Cape buffalo

The Nile buffalo is missing, I hope one day.

The most popular is the cape buffalo, it is the one you see every time on TV or on hunt report. They are impressive with their big horns.

Hunting buffalo is a dream for many hunters and they are right, it is fun. You feel the adrenaline, you feel the fear, you feel the excitement, and you never know what is going to happen after a long tracking. You have to shoot the right spot to avoid some rodeo in the thick brush!!! shoot enough gun and shoot as close as you can…

By calling them in, 80% of the buffaloes I shoot, are at about 25 yards, pretty exciting.

All the species when wounded, can be dangerous. You have to be very careful when looking for angry ''kakuli''.

I just love, like many PH, hunting them. Tracking a herd and calling them in at close range, looking for a nice bull with a thick neck and a nice set of horns, tracking a lone bull for hours, finding him standing on the shade looking at you with a worn down set of horn .... it is just something I can't stop doing....

From a distance they look the same !!! the bobby shape is the same, strong animals, full of muscle.

While a cape buffalo can weight almost a ton, a dwarf forest buffalo weight about 250 kg.
They adapt themselves to the biotope they live. Wide open savanna for the cape buffalo and rain forest for the dwarf buffalo. In between you find different area open or not. They all look for food in open places.

The color varies from the pitch black to the orange red (like fire), black and red. This is the color you find inWest/central Africa, I love tis color.

More you go west more they get tense and spooky. It gives something more to the hunt, may be not so easy!!!

I do prefer the buffaloes from the west/central part, maybe the variety of the colors, probably because I grew up in this area, I don't really know.... But one thing is sure, I do prefer to hunt an old, old one with smooth horns than a 44'' young cape buffalo.

Best
Christophe

Last edited by a moderator:
I had the privilege to see, to photograph and to hunt 4 of the 5 species of the African buffalo.
West African savanna buffalo
Central African savanna buffalo
Dwarf forest buffalo
Cape buffalo

The Nile buffalo is missing, I hope one day.

The most popular is the cape buffalo, it is the one you see every time on TV or on hunt report. They are impressive with their big horns.

Hunting buffalo is a dream for many hunters and they are right, it is fun. You feel the adrenaline, you feel the fear, you feel the excitement, and you never know what is going to happen after a long tracking. You have to shoot the right spot to avoid some rodeo in the thick brush!!! shoot enough gun and shoot as close as you can…

By calling them in, 80% of the buffaloes I shoot, are at about 25 yards, pretty exciting.

All the species when wounded, can be dangerous. You have to be very careful when looking for angry ''kakuli''.

I just love, like many PH, hunting them. Tracking a herd and calling them in at close range, looking for a nice bull with a thick neck and a nice set of horns, tracking a lone bull for hours, finding him standing on the shade looking at you with a worn down set of horn .... it is just something I can't stop doing....

From a distance they look the same !!! the bobby shape is the same, strong animals, full of muscle.

While a cape buffalo can weight almost a ton, a dwarf forest buffalo weight about 250 kg.
They adapt themselves to the biotope they live. Wide open savanna for the cape buffalo and rain forest for the dwarf buffalo. In between you find different area open or not. They all look for food in open places.

The color varies from the pitch black to the orange red (like fire), black and red. This is the color you find inWest/central Africa, I love tis color.

More you go west more they get tense and spooky. It gives something more to the hunt, may be not so easy!!!

I do prefer the buffaloes from the west/central part, maybe the variety of the colors, probably because I grew up in this area, I don't really know.... But one thing is sure, I do prefer to hunt an old, old one with smooth horns than a 44'' young cape buffalo.

Best
Christophe
I have been to Zimbabwe, Hunter and killed two of the cape buffalo. I have also read just about everything out there, but this is the first I've heard of calling them in. That sounds like an incredibly exciting hunt! But then, just calling in a coyote excites me. So how is it done? Tell us a story!

Hope you don't mind me answering this question morion, Doug H please read my hunt report to see how calling buffalo was done while we were hunting for Cape Buffalo in Zimbabwe, hope that it helps! It was a very exciting way to hunt.

Damn I hate auto correct. That was supposed to be "morioc" - Sorry!

Damn I hate auto correct. That was supposed to be "morioc" - Sorry!
That's okay. I knew what you were getting at. I hate auto correct too, but at least it didn't call me a moron!

Great story and writing, by the way. Thanks for sharing!

Doug

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bkNen

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross