gjim

AH veteran
Reaction score
Deals & offers
Media
Member of
New Zealand Professional guides assoc, Safari Club international, Dallas Safari Club, Wild sheep foundation, SCI Master Measurer
Hunted
New Zealand, Australia, New Caledonia, Canada, U.S.A
Himalayan Bull Tahr shot placement

Bull Tahr would have to be pound for pound one of the toughest big game mountain animals to bring down for 2 reason, long hair over the body and bone structure. Pre rut some of the Bulls in their prime will weigh in at excess of 300 lbs especially on private land where they are typically not hunted during the summer months and so will come down to the lower country and graze in sheep and cattle country on fresh spring clover grasses. This is where you must use larger centre fire calibers such as the magnums or 30 cal with bonded bullets to hunt these amazing animals ethically. The hair in winter is matted, with extremely tough skin up to 1/2 inch thick making this combination very tough. Shoulders being well muscled and larger than their back end you are shooting into the power house so take your time as you will only get one vital shot, the rest will be just throwing lead. Tahr hunting ideally you will have an experienced professional guide/spotter with you that know these animals, this will allow the hunter time to concentrate on the set up of the rifle and the shot with the guide ranging distance, body angle, and ideal shot placement. You need to break both shoulders and puncture lungs, or at least one shoulder 2 lungs, yes they are just that tough. To shoot back into the green lung (stomach), miss vitals and or shoulders will result in a wounded and lost Bull, take your time aiming small and steady, reload and get ready for a follow up shot this is not the animal to chase. Mature 6 year old+ Bull Tahr hair in winter can hang 9-12 inches down over the leg, 6-9 inches over the bottom of the chest, 3-9 inches on top of the shoulder.

fullsizeoutput_1427.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadwickTo

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross