Hunting Spotted Hyena?

Nathan Leslie

AH member
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Sitting here think about the best place to hunt Hyena........ I have no idea. It is definitely an animal that is on top of my list for my trip. What region, country is the best?

Sitting here think about the best place to hunt Hyena........ I have no idea. It is definitely an animal that is on top of my list for my trip. What region, country is the best?
You don't mention spotted in your question, though you do in the thread title.

If it's spotted hyena you're after, you can find them in lots of countries - Zimbabwe, South Africa, Namibia, Tanzania, and even Ethiopia. Most of southern and central Africa will work.

Brown hyena tend to be more limited. Namibia and parts of South Africa.

I'd suggest that nowhere are they as numerous as they once were, and hunting can be limited by quota or special permit (especially for brown), so you need to check with an outfitter if you want to be sure you can hunt one. Not an easy hunt if you're trying for them. Easy if you come upon one while doing something else . . .

I think what Hank says about not being as populous is probably generally true. That being said, when I was in the Zambezi valley in 2014 they were everywhere. Tracks over the tire tracks every day and all hunters but me shot one everytime they sat. Lots of spotted hyena there....

How lucky are you? If like me your hunt luck runs cold most of the time, hyena is gonna be tough. I have been after one for some time and trying again next summer in Namibia where I may have the best chance yet. I have seen them in Botswana and Tanzania but those hunts were many years ago and I wasn't hunting them. Since I started hunting them I haven't seen one.

Also, depending on where you live you may not be able to import Browns.

Dissimilar to Scott in the luck department, I hunted them once in RSA and spot and stalked my Hyena in day light. Yes, I am a lucky SOB.

Some times they jump in the Bakkie and other times you can not bait them with prime rib.

Good luck in your quest.

Also, depending on where you live you may not be able to import Browns.

Dissimilar to Scott in the luck department, I hunted them once in RSA and spot and stalked my Hyena in day light. Yes, I am a lucky SOB.

Some times they jump in the Bakkie and other times you can not bait them with prime rib.

Good luck in your quest.
AAAAAAAAARRRRAGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:rolleyes:

In four trips to RSA I have only seen one and it was in the headlights at night.

AAAAAAAAARRRRAGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:rolleyes:
Ses, I believe Wayne is making this up. He has done that before. A bad habit, but what can you do?

Lots of them in Zim but getting one takes some effort. If I had taken a Foxpro caller and a good light I could have easily gotten one. I saw fresh tracks everyday most everywhere. Frustrated to not get one.,
Regards,
Philip

We have lots of Spotted Hyena in my area. Very healthy population.
The trick is always to choose the right place to hunt . No sense in hunting an area with over educated Hyena.
Our success rate has been 100 % on them the past few years.
PM or e mail me Nathan , and we can discuss your Spotted Hyena hunt.

Hunting regards

Took this picture on the last day of my last hunt a few days ago, lots of them around.
IMG_3118.jpg

Wow great pic Ernest!

I've hunted them during daylight successfully the last two Zimbabwe safaris I've done. I'd say that to do it right, you need to have a DG PH that knows EXACTLY what to do to hunt leopard. If you hunt leopard or lion, you'll get hyenas.

So that's my suggestion for success...find a cat man that knows his terrain and they'll put you on hyenas in traditional situations with fair chase during daylight hours.

The Lowveldt of Limpopo offer some good Hyena
FB_IMG_1476379957579.jpg

I tried for Hyena on my last hunt in Namibia and it was the one animal we didn't find... not even tracks. :(

-matt

Got mine in Namibia. They were not common at all, and I feel very fortunate to have gotten one.
IMG_1117.JPG

Pieter we might have to put this guy on the list!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Efren35C00

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross