Hunting South Africa in September, is it favorable?

mountain hunter

Reaction score
Deals & offers
I was looking for some info on rifle hunting SA in September. Plains game. Kudu and Gemsbok are my main focus. Are the hunting conditions and time of year favorable to go?

Welcome to AH.
There are plenty of outfits on AH that will take you hunting in September.
What information are you looking for?
Start with an article search on AH and maybe ask some more questions and then they will jump in.

Welcome to AH mountain hunter. I went to Africa in March, took both a Kudu, and Gemsbuck. Used Faun Africa, Ken Du Plessis. he was just fantastic. Lot's of good PH's and outfitters in SA. Cruise the forum and you will see and hear from some of them.

Mountain hunter

Welcome to the AH forum...

I went and found a few location for you to start your quest. :)

Jacques Spamer
HartzView Hunting Safaris - South Africa / Zimbabwe
js@hvsafaris.com
www.hvsafaris.com

Chris Troskie
Chris Troskie Safaris - South Africa, Botswana, Zimbabwe & Mozambique
chris@ct-safaris.com
www.ct-safaris.com

Marius Goosen
KMG Hunting Safaris - South Africa, Eastern Cape
info@huntsafaris.co.za
www.huntsafaris.co.za

Frederik Cocquyt, Outfitter and Professional Hunter
Infinito Safaris - South Africa
Cell: +27 83 709 8927
Frederik@infinito-safaris.com
www.Infinito-Safaris.com

Louis Van Bergen
Spiral Horn Safaris - South Africa
Cell:+ 27 76 577 6292
safari.spiralhorn@gmail.com
www.SpiralHorn.co.za

Owen
realadventureafrica@gmail.com
www.lusafaris.co.za

RAY ATKINSON
ATKINSON HUNTING ADVENTURES
ray@atkinsonhunting.com
www.atkinsonhunting.com

Bushwack
Mobile: +27 82 773 4099
Mail:bushwacksafaris@vodamail.co.za
www.bushwacksafaris.co.za

I was looking for some info on rifle hunting SA in September. Plains game. Kudu and Gemsbok are my main focus.

Welcome to AH.
There are plenty of outfits on AH that will take you hunting in September.
What information are you looking for?
Start with an article search on AH and maybe ask some more questions and then they will jump in.

I am just looking for some info on how the hunting is in September in SA. As I have allready decided on the outfitter I will be going with, But he only has Sept 18-28 available for 2012. The outfit has assured me that the hunting is still good in September, but i was looking for a unbiased opinion. Any info would help me decide if I should go or wait until 2013.

go to under ground weather and search for weather for the past few years to see what you come up with...

i miss under stood your first post...

Thanks for the info on the weather. As for misunderstanding, it was my fault I should have been more clear in my first post.

Hunting should be great and weather as well. Enjoy the hunt ! I have gone 3x and always Sept. to Oct.

Last year I hunted during September 22nd/October 3rd

Advantages,
less people flying
less vegetation, low grass allows you to see tha animals better

Depending on which area you go, it may start to warm up

mountain hunter,

In an area where the game is self sustaining ie not stocked for hunters to shoot Sept/Oct is an excelent time to hunt. It willbe hot but hunting superb as the game will be concentrated near the existing water and there will be almost no grass and leaves to block visibility. If it isa put and take operation at the end of the season the area may not be as well stocked as earlier in the season making hunting more difficult. I'm in the business and I know this does happen. Book a self sustaining area with an operator having enough land to support the amount of hunts he books without yearly or more often restocking.

Last year I hunted during September 22nd/October 3rd

Advantages,
less people flying
less vegetation, low grass allows you to see tha animals better

Depending on which area you go, it may start to warm up

I went in 2007 during that time and it was still quite game rich and great weather, as stated before it was chilly in the morning but got quite hot during the day. I had a great time and I'm sure you will to. Who did you decided to hunt with if I may ask?

Cruiser Safaris is who I hunted with, Peter and Cruiser Bob run a great place, I went back last May and took some great animals including a 26 1/2 inch Impala and lots of big Kudu in upper 50 and lower 60 inch mark. Great host and beutiful accommodations. You will Have a great time.

I hunted SA on those same date in 09 and hunted in may last year before the worldcup. I liked hunting in September better, flights are much cheaper and there is plenty of animals in SA no matter when you go. If all the rain they have had this year September maybe perfect. Check delta airlines I got a $1398.00 flight for this August non stop from Atlanta to Joberg flying out on a Tuesday.

Have a good trip and I can tell you Delta should be a good trip. They treated me well in April this year. Make sure you bring a good neck pillow as you won't find one in Jo'burg Airport for the return trip. If you aren't living near Atlanta for your trip, try to take Delta to ATL. One airline for the baggage transfers is the best way and always take the first flight out of your city to ATL. NEVER cut it shorter than 4 hrs to transfer to the JNB flight never!

We hunted late Sept. - early Oct in '09. We had to work a bit harder because it was post rut but we also had the advantage of having less leaves on the trees. Mornings were a bit cool, guessing the upper 40's, low 50's. Highs got up to mid 80's several days. We were told that we didn't need rain gear only to have it rain over 50% of the time that we were there but we planned ahead and brought the gear anyway.

You'll have a great time.

If you are after some serious trophies you cannot beat September till mid November that is when all the big boys come out of the woodwork hungry and thirsty after all their battles. For some species like kudu they would have lost close to 30% of their body wieght since April so don't expect perfect capes as some of them would have lost a lot of condition.

I'm talking mostly about the northern part of the country and for myself its one of my favorite times to hunt August till mid November when the rains really start its hot and you have to work a bit more for your animals but your days are longer but September the weather is still very mild. The animals are more concentrated around the water and food as well. Please bear in mind I'm talking about areas which are big enough to sustain their own populations and are not replenished before the hutning season with game that has been bought at an auction. Its a true hunt and you will have to do your part long days and weary feet but when you do get your animal it's just such a reward.

I would also advise on a 10 day minimum hunt but why wait till 2012 we have a great deal going now this year for between 5 Aug and 2 Sept.

I would also advise on a 10 day minimum hunt but why wait till 2012 we have a great deal going now this year for between 5 Aug and 2 Sept.

Agree. In '09 we did the 10 days vs. 7, next time we're doing 14 days.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dee

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross