Hunting Sika Deer in France

guillaume

Reaction score
Media
Member of
Safari Club International
Hunted
Tanzania
The Sika deer (Cervus sika nippon) originate from Japan. The Mikado (the Japanese Emperor) offered the first sika deer to France in 1890. Since then, the French sika deer populations have numbered considerably and are considered a French hunting species.
IMG_2767.JPG
IMG_0777.JPG

BRICKBURN

Super moderator
Contributor
Lifetime titanium benefactor
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Europe
Hunted
Namibia, South Africa, Botswana, Mozambique, Canada, USA, Mexico, England
I’m glad they are doing so well.

Sika98k

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Europe
Member of
Wild Deer Association of Ireland
Hunted
Kenya,Namibia, Croatia, Morocco Ireland,Scotland,Denmark, Romania, Sweden,Norway,Latvia,Germany,Hungary,
About the same time they were released in Ireland. Great deer to hunt,sneaky sikas !

Artur S

AH member
Reaction score
Media
Member of
Malus Sieversi Foundation; Deutsch Drahthaar Club Kazakhstan
Hunted
Russia, Austria, Switzerland, Germany and of course Kazakhstan
Upon having a closer look at this deer species, one can only adore them )) they have so many fascinating traits and specialties, which distinguish them from other cervids. It would take 2 pages here to write them down, but if there ever will be some major catastrophe to bring mammals / cervids on the brink of extintioen, sika will survive it.

And already now, they don't go hard on the forest, they can much better cope with human intrusion into their habitats, they are ways better in terms of resistance against parasites and immunity, they cope much better with a narrowed genetic pool and it is said that sika venison is the best there is.

I have always disregarded them because of their relatively poor head/trophy, but i am growing up/getting older ))) and I enjoy now hunting more because of hunting on its own and much less because of a trophy... Change in philosophy ))

And I have soaked up a podcast / radio documentary about them and am now a fan of that deer race.

Finally, any population outside their recent habitat (Southeastern Asia) is vivid wildlife protection ex situ.

JPbowhunter

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
Upon having a closer look at this deer species, one can only adore them )) they have so many fascinating traits and specialties, which distinguish them from other cervids. It would take 2 pages here to write them down, but if there ever will be some major catastrophe to bring mammals / cervids on the brink of extintioen, sika will survive it.

And already now, they don't go hard on the forest, they can much better cope with human intrusion into their habitats, they are ways better in terms of resistance against parasites and immunity, they cope much better with a narrowed genetic pool and it is said that sika venison is the best there is.

I have always disregarded them because of their relatively poor head/trophy, but i am growing up/getting older ))) and I enjoy now hunting more because of hunting on its own and much less because of a trophy... Change in philosophy ))

And I have soaked up a podcast / radio documentary about them and am now a fan of that deer race.

Finally, any population outside their recent habitat (Southeastern Asia) is vivid wildlife protection ex situ.
Poor head? I guess that's a matter of perspective. Granted the ones in the US and Ireland are terrible but go to nz, japan or Ukraine and they're very impressive.

Not to mention probably the most challenging deer to hunt. I will go back to hunt them again one day if nothing more than for the challenge.

Artur S

AH member
Reaction score
Media
Member of
Malus Sieversi Foundation; Deutsch Drahthaar Club Kazakhstan
Hunted
Russia, Austria, Switzerland, Germany and of course Kazakhstan
I (partially) live in maral country.. i have seen monsters and was myself privileged to get one real senior stag.
Compared to that breed and red stag and wapiti and Roosevelt elk, sika IS poor . But hey, as I wrote above - it does not matter to me personally. I would love to hunt sika in a sustainable population. That is now definitely on my bucket list.

JPbowhunter

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
Fair I guess, but by that logic anything smaller than a red stag is poor, for that matter they're all poor compared to a yukon moose.

I think one of the most impressive or aesthetically pleasing deer are hog deer which is why I spend a week every year sitting in a tree waiting for them. But they're only the size of a fat lamb.

To each their own

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SusannaRid

Latest profile posts

Tally-Ho Hunting Safaris wrote on jfowler812's profile.
hi Mr fowler

im happy to do these deals for 2021

i will knock off 10% off each deal if you take 2 so $18000 per package

look forward to your response

regards
Mule deer and Colorado elk seasons almost done! Hunters driving farm roads, looking for racks, their PH driving them along, I ask that you not pull into my drive. The buck behind me, on the boundary line of the GMU somehow knows. The hunter laughs, I would invite you in to see my Searcy rifles but social distancing prevails, darkness arrives and the buck slides away into secret tree grove...
Boyd Brooks wrote on Skinnersblade's profile.
Ellwood Epps has 1 box of 25-20 in stock. Look them up on the web. They are located in Orilla Ontario.
Lkhntr wrote on Warpig602's profile.
On the vx6 2-12 what does the zl2 stand for?

Thanks, Oliver
bowjijohn wrote on AfricaHunting.com's profile.
Many thanks for re formatting my article for the forum

I served my time in both the bush and during the bush war

I hope it did it justice

Education is where it is at - without it the wild places are history

You - sir - are well placed to make a difference

J