HUNTING Rhinoceros

Big5,,

Thanks for sharing the photos and information about your hunt.

You show it pays to stick with the hunt even though NPB didn't do their jobs. Great job of taking the shot that was offered.

Did you have anything made out of the skin?

Was this a drop everything and leave hunt or did you have time to plan it?

It sounds like an incredible experience from a different time and place. Congratulations!(y)

All the best.

Wheels,

Having been on a couple of 'drop everything' and 'get over here in 72 hours' hunts this wasn't bad at all. It's been a long while but to the best of my recollection I had about two weeks to have it all arranged and be there.

With regard to the hide I had it tanned and for the most part it's remained rolled up in cotton sheets and set aside along with others such as elephant and hippo. Over all these years I never ended up doing anything with those hides except having a pair of western boots made from each. Needless to say I've got lots of hide but have had few ideas that I followed through with.

Good hunting to you!

Big 5,

Thanks for sharing all of this. I enjoyed every single word.

Wheels,

Having been on a couple of 'drop everything' and 'get over here in 72 hours' hunts this wasn't bad at all. It's been a long while but to the best of my recollection I had about two weeks to have it all arranged and be there.

With regard to the hide I had it tanned and for the most part it's remained rolled up in cotton sheets and set aside along with others such as elephant and hippo. Over all these years I never ended up doing anything with those hides except having a pair of western boots made from each. Needless to say I've got lots of hide but have had few ideas that I followed through with.

Good hunting to you!

Your the only person I know with rhino boots. I'm impressed/envious.

I considered having a recliner covered with elephant hide. In the end, the cowhide seemed much smoother and I settled for some purses, belts and billfolds.

All the best.

I may not have been clear in my post when comparing the elephant and rhino hunts. The two hunts were taken a couple of years apart. The comparison was only to say that both hunts involved much tracking and footwork.

after re reading it , my mind may have run amok , and l read it as I would have loved to do such an adventure.....
thanks for the details , and pictures .

IMG_0652.JPG
IMG_0656.JPG
IMG_0657.JPG
IMG_0654.JPG

the first picture is of us getting the evil eye and next two of a male comming at us, we put the truck into reverse and backed away. the whites acted like cows, but the blacks didn,t care for us to be to close.

DSCN4561.JPG
DSCN9518 (5).JPG
DSCN9520 (3).JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
A friend had some of his hunts filmed and he presented some of these to a DWWC dinner meeting.
His rhino hunt was not particularly exciting as he used a tree for cover and sneaked within a few feet of the left side of the game. He used a handgun, a 454 I think, and fired one well placed shot . The animal just stood there for a while and then slowly fell over on its right side.

His film of hunting leopard with chase dogs had much more action.

I thought I read somewhere on the forum that only solids are allowed in SA while hunting rhino or was is just in a particular province. Maybe I misread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chandaokelle05

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg