Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
Botswana, Namibia, South Africa, Tanzania, Zimbabwe
Big5,,

Thanks for sharing the photos and information about your hunt.

You show it pays to stick with the hunt even though NPB didn't do their jobs. Great job of taking the shot that was offered.

Did you have anything made out of the skin?

Was this a drop everything and leave hunt or did you have time to plan it?

It sounds like an incredible experience from a different time and place. Congratulations!(y)

All the best.

Big5

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
Member of
SCI Life member, NRA Life/Benefactor member
Hunted
USA, Canada, Mexico, Zimbabwe, Botswana, Namibia, South Africa, Spain, Russia
Wheels,

Having been on a couple of 'drop everything' and 'get over here in 72 hours' hunts this wasn't bad at all. It's been a long while but to the best of my recollection I had about two weeks to have it all arranged and be there.

With regard to the hide I had it tanned and for the most part it's remained rolled up in cotton sheets and set aside along with others such as elephant and hippo. Over all these years I never ended up doing anything with those hides except having a pair of western boots made from each. Needless to say I've got lots of hide but have had few ideas that I followed through with.

Good hunting to you!

Royal27

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
DSC, NRA, SCI
Hunted
USA - TX, CO, GA, ID. Africa - Zimbabwe, Zambia, and South Africa (Limpopo and EC)
Big 5,

Thanks for sharing all of this. I enjoyed every single word.

Wheels

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
Botswana, Namibia, South Africa, Tanzania, Zimbabwe
Wheels,

Having been on a couple of 'drop everything' and 'get over here in 72 hours' hunts this wasn't bad at all. It's been a long while but to the best of my recollection I had about two weeks to have it all arranged and be there.

With regard to the hide I had it tanned and for the most part it's remained rolled up in cotton sheets and set aside along with others such as elephant and hippo. Over all these years I never ended up doing anything with those hides except having a pair of western boots made from each. Needless to say I've got lots of hide but have had few ideas that I followed through with.

Good hunting to you!

Your the only person I know with rhino boots. I'm impressed/envious.

I considered having a recliner covered with elephant hide. In the end, the cowhide seemed much smoother and I settled for some purses, belts and billfolds.

All the best.

bluey

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Australia/NZ
Member of
ssaa, aba ,bairnsdale field archers SFP
Hunted
australia south africa (limpopo, north west,eastcape) canada (b.c)zambia
I may not have been clear in my post when comparing the elephant and rhino hunts. The two hunts were taken a couple of years apart. The comparison was only to say that both hunts involved much tracking and footwork.

after re reading it , my mind may have run amok , and l read it as I would have loved to do such an adventure.....
thanks for the details , and pictures .

AfricaHunting.com

Founder
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Website
www.africahunting.com
Media
Articles
IMG_0652.JPG
IMG_0656.JPG
IMG_0657.JPG
IMG_0654.JPG

leslie hetrick

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
several sporting clubs
Hunted
several
the first picture is of us getting the evil eye and next two of a male comming at us, we put the truck into reverse and backed away. the whites acted like cows, but the blacks didn,t care for us to be to close.

DSCN4561.JPG
DSCN9518 (5).JPG
DSCN9520 (3).JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

crs

AH elite
Reaction score
Website
sheltontechnologies.com
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
CRS, NRA Patron Member, TSRA, DWWC, DRSS
Hunted
RSA
A friend had some of his hunts filmed and he presented some of these to a DWWC dinner meeting.
His rhino hunt was not particularly exciting as he used a tree for cover and sneaked within a few feet of the left side of the game. He used a handgun, a 454 I think, and fired one well placed shot . The animal just stood there for a while and then slowly fell over on its right side.

His film of hunting leopard with chase dogs had much more action.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chrisdapra

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Tom Leoni wrote on Nyati67's profile.
Nyatyi, what's the tube dia. on your S&B?
Brian wrote on CM McKenzie's profile.
CM,
That is nice work! I would like that cartridge slide for 50-110 Win. I would also use it for 500 S&W. Six cartridge loops would be perfect for me.

I will send you payment immediately.

Thank you,
Akunasek wrote on Jager Waffen74's profile.
do you still have the Ithaca 10 ga semi auto?
kdenn wrote on TROPHY SHIPPERS's profile.
Afternoon, going to South Africa August 22 hunting with wife. will need your help with trophies. what information and how soon do you need it? went to the website and completed the form but seems i have negative energy or something with electronic communication often.
thanks for your help
ken dennison
Docpk wrote on Jager Waffen74's profile.
I would but the Swarovski scope