Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
NRA LIFE MEMBER
Hunted
South Africa (Limpopo, Eastern Cape & Kalahari), Nicaragua, FL, CA, SD, GA, SC, CO
Rifle season finally opened up in GA. My friend and I headed out to his in-laws farm to hunt some whitetail deer. That afternoon I decided to hunt a different stand, and not my stand. I don't know what I was thinking, or why I wanted to hunt there.

I get to the stand, and started to climb up the ladder, I have my backpack and rifle with me. The stand platform is about 15' up. When I reach the opening for the stand, I open the door, and my body is about half way up and into the stand. There are two chairs in the way, so I move the chair with wheels that is to my right out of the way. I then proceed to move the chair to my left which is a folding chair that is open. When I pushed the chair, about 30-40 pissed off Wasp came out from under the chair, they came out looking who had disturbed their peace, and they were out to inflict some painful damage on whoever did that. These angry and with a bad attitude Wasp were swarming all around me, I had them flying inches from my face, and I was trying not to move, blink or breath. Oh and did I mention that I'm about 15 ft up. I stood there for what seemed like an eternity, and finally these angry Kamikaze calm down enough for me to get down. With my finest Terminator impersonating, I told them "I'll be back".

WASP.jpg

I got to the truck and found the Wasp/Hornet spray. Got back to the stand, and I got up into the stand once again (I was determined to hunt this stand no matter what), poked my head into the opening, looked at them, and shot them with the spray. I quickly got down, and gave them a couple of minutes for the effect of the spry to take effect. Got back up and finished the few that were still trying to fly out. Yes, victory! So, I thought!

Got into the stand, I got all situated, and ready to have a relaxing hunt. Not so much. The scouts that were out, were now coming back, and realized that their home was destroyed and their friends & relatives were all dead. Needless to say, they were not too happy about that, and they were looking for who had done this. I don't know how did they know it was me who had done that, but they came after me. I knew it was not going to be easy, and most likely be a hand to hand type of combat, but I was ready. or so I thought. Killed the first one, with one hit from my hat. The second one dove in for the kill, but I managed to hit it with the hat, but the force was strong with this one. Got up twice, and came after me twice, but I managed to finally give it one good hit and killed it. I don't know what I was thinking, but taking on those two angry wasp in the stand was not the smartest thing, but I was committed to hunt that stand. I didn't see anything, and it was probably due to the commotion in the stand, and the wonderful aroma of Wasp/Hornet spray. LOL.

Here lies the final combatant.

hornet II.jpg

Moral of the story, always double check your stand before getting into them. For some reason or another, we never checked this stand until the day I got into it. I was very lucky that day, the outcome could have been a lot worst.

Para45, you were lucky. Those little basta**s can be mean and they can sting you more than once.

When are you going out again.

Way to win the battle! Wasps and I have a hate/hate relationship. I try to get them whenever they set up shop in my areas. And they have dealt out more than their share of pain on me! Up here in Sask we only have to deal with them for a few months out of the year, but when I hunted in Texas with @gizmo I got out of bed around 4am to visit the little boys' room and felt a searing pain in the bottom of my foot. Turned on the light and found one squirming around on the carpet. This was in the middle of January!

Para,
If you angle the wasp toward the camera and sit well behind the stinger it will make the trophy look much larger in the photo! Lol

@Shootist43; This happened on Sun, and I hunted Mon & Tue. Back at work today and 1/2 day tomorrow, and going back out for the rest of the week.

Looking out for this two guys, unfortunately the weather has not been cooperating and it has been hot.

Pict.jpg

Pict II.jpg

Para45, just send them my way and I'll look so you don't have to bother.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

I don’t do wel with wasps nor yellow jacket hornets. Both have almost done me in. I try to keep an updated epicenters around, but they are hard to come by. Benedryl seems to work mostly. It’s still scary.
Be careful!

Congrats on your victory!

I always seem to have some ongoing war with yellow jackets. My biggest disaster was opening a garden storage shed door and finding the bastards had built a nest half on the door, half on the door jamb. So I split that nest wide open when I pulled the door open. 5 stings to the face!

So I went after them in the whole neighborhood. This was at the lake house which is as close as I've ever come to living in a general community with close neighbors.

There was a big classic Whinny the Pooh type paper wasp nest way up in a tree that I was determined to do in. So I took a 12 gauge and 8 shot to it. Got questions from a neighbor as to what I was hunting out of season ;)

Para,
If you angle the wasp toward the camera and sit well behind the stinger it will make the trophy look much larger in the photo! Lol

I was going to ask if you planned to do a shoulder mount or splurge and go with a pedestal. :)

I was thinking more along the line of a natural habitat theme with the hive & the wasp approaching. My trophy room and new trophy will the envy of everyone. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Nice trophy.

At the beginning of the hunt season I buy a six pack of Bug Bombs! They get tossed into stands and the door gets closed! Makes a mess of the critters. Then I get in the next morning in the dark and a can of spray!

Dangerous Game hunting has its many forms. Looks like you are well schooled in all methods of dispatching dangerous game in the South. (y)(y)(y)

I don’t do wel with wasps nor yellow jacket hornets. Both have almost done me in. I try to keep an updated epicenters around, but they are hard to come by. Benedryl seems to work mostly. It’s still scary.
Be careful!
Yellow Jackets are Wasps, not Hornets.
We get several types here in the summer and their sting is not only extremely painful but can cause serious problems for some people, like me! I got stung in the hand once and the doctor said I was very close to being in the hospital with it. I get a bad reaction to them. Besides which I hate them!

At the beginning of the hunt season I buy a six pack of Bug Bombs! They get tossed into stands and the door gets closed! Makes a mess of the critters. Then I get in the next morning in the dark and a can of spray!
Plus one on the big bombs, works great!

I've had a slew of yellowjackets at my house this summer. I was putting wood in my shed and got kamikazied by a bunch of them. They had a nest in the tier I was stacking. Luckily I got hit just once. I waited til most dark when they were all in the nest and I completely destroyed it with a spray can. A couple days later I had a new crowd attempting to build another nest. They didn't get far. I sprayed them completely off the face of the earth. I've had several small nests up in the eaves, too. Had a ball blasting the hell out of them. I have several wind bells on my patio and was wondering where the yellowjackets were coming from until I hit one of the bells and riled up a swarm. Spray time again, giggle, giggle. Hate the damned things but just love spraying them. Used a whole can this summer, I did.

Germany Catalogue of fines for animal welfare 2019

Kill wasps and hornets.
Depending on the state 5' -50.000 Euro
No joke

Yikes!!! Don’t show anyone

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
arecruitment880

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!