Hunting prices 2018 v. 2019

Ridgerunner

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
I've started to plan a trip to South Africa for either 2018 or 2019. Given the current state of the economy do you think waiting another year will impact prices one way or another? I'd love to go in 18 but part of me thinks about waiting another year to save more money for the trip to allow for more animals. Thoughts?

You will be asking yourself the same thing in 2019 and even when you get there you start thinking about hunting animals you never thought about hunting before. Ha! Take what Africa gives you and then you'll be back for more;)

dt

Another type of question is are the prices on game expected to come down? I've seen that sable is a lot cheaper now than it was, is pricing of these hunts on a downward trend in general or are they moving up? I haven't been watching Africa prices for very long so I don't know whether we are in a downward (cheaper) trend or an upward (more expensive) trend?

I think prices will level off now with most plains game staying in the range they are at. Sable may stay lower but could go up some as they stop breeding as many and supplies get lower. If I was you I would book for 18 and take what you can. If your like the rest of us you will then be planning a 2020 trip. LOL

No one knows. Simple as that.

I personally don't think that prices will drop enough that I'd wait. I think much of that has already occurred and prices have stabilized. There may or may not be some further weeding out of weak outfitters, but time will tell. I again personally think there needs to be, but the system helps to prevent this in ways.

It's the crazy events you can't plan for...
  • Rand goes up to 20-1 to dollar, or drops to 10-1
  • Global economy crashes, or Flys up
  • Open race war in SA with tourist attacks - would result in great price . Want to go still?
Like @@billc said. Might as well go now, you'll be back later. Dollar Cost Average the prices between the trips. :)

I check prices a lot, it seems to have stabilized. Pick a few outfitters you would hunt with and get quotes from them and ask, with a deposit the price will hold till 2018, you can always twist arms. Package price vs build your own you should be able to negotiate a very good deal now.
Good luck.

Let's say you can afford to go in 2018, but like most of us, you'd be happy to pay less. So you wait until 2019 to see what happens. The hunt might get cheaper, but if it gets more expensive, you might just find that you can't afford to hunt anymore, or to hunt as many animals.

I'd suggest that trying to speculate on future hunt prices is like trying to speculate on any other commodity - everyone has an opinion, but it's only yours that counts. If you bet wrong, you can't blame anyone else. And in this case, it's hard to bet right because there are lots of variables. The supply and demand for animals is only one factor; foreign exchange rates - which are notoriously volatile - and government regulations (remember Tanzania and taxes?) are also involved, but there are others.

My advice to someone with this question would be to go when you can, have the best experience you can, and don't look back. If things do get cheaper, rather than feeling like you overpaid, consider that a return just got easier. If they get more expensive, well, you can be pleased you got a deal.

Either way, you win by going now, rather than waiting and potentially losing out.

You will be asking yourself the same thing in 2019 and even when you get there you start thinking about hunting animals you never thought about hunting before. Ha! Take what Africa gives you and then you'll be back for more;)

dt
+1

Who knows ?

Go as soon as you can, as you never know what might change and in which direction.

I've started to plan a trip to South Africa for either 2018 or 2019. Given the current state of the economy do you think waiting another year will impact prices one way or another? I'd love to go in 18 but part of me thinks about waiting another year to save more money for the trip to allow for more animals. Thoughts?

Find an outfitter with a program that fits what you are looking for and your budget. Then pull the pin and go! Waiting a year or two in hopes of saving 500-1000 $ in trophy fees is counter productive in my opinion. Who really knows what the cost of plane tickets or the price of the Rand, or US fish and wildlife changes will come along in the next couple years.

Go now. For real.

Great advice. :)

Made me think though.... About how much fun the planning is, agonizing over when I go, where I go, what's the main quarry????

All of this changes for me each trip though, or has so far.

• First trip - booked 2.5 years in advance
  • Second trip - a year in advance
  • Third trip - less than six months
  • Fourth - we will see... ;)
Point is, ”once in a lifetime" may not be, unless you make it be by waiting too long!

Fourth - we will see... ;)

... and this is from a man that just moved his family 800 miles to a new home. I am liking your style.(y)(y)(y)

The best way to save money is not to go. Go now so you have plenty of time to plan your next trip.:D

Everyone is right. I started getting quotes from various outfitters in late 2016 with intentions of a May of 2019 hunt so that I would be in Africa for my 50th birthday. Then one of the sponsor outfitters on here had a Spiral Slam deal on here for 2016/17 that was very interesting. We spoke some more, swapped the eland for a waterbuck and added a springbok and blesbok at a very respectable price. I would not have the money saved by 2017 so He allowed me to commit to that price up until 2018. I asked questions like what he thought prices would be like a year later, what he thought the political situation would be, etc. questions no one knows the answers to. So I just decided that it was too good of an opportunity to pass since none of us has a crystal ball so I paid my deposit for 10 days in July of 2018. I'll just have to turn 50 at home the next year!

My crystal ball says the Dollar will be stronger in 2019. But that does not mean that the real price of game, food or lodging etc will be lower, sellers will adjust prices accordingly. That said, I am planning my next trip for 2019 too. My employment term is up next year and have to see if I get another 4 year renewal.

To expound a bit on my long winded message above:

There is no better time than now to go for a lot of reasons.

1. The rand to dollar (assuming you are an American going to rsa) is very very favorable right now. (Read "take cash" here)

2. Crazy things happen politically. Both here and there. Right now its not too bad either place....right now.

3. Bad (and good) stuff can happen quickly to your health, finances and family. If you are healthy and financially ready now then there is absolutely no reason to wait.

4. Its life changing. For real. Why put off something amazing for another year if you dont need to. Like kids that wait until they are 17 or 18 to get a drivers license these days. In my day we sprinted to the dmv on our 16th birthday. Im "type A" and see no reason to wait for anything that i can control.

5. Memories and experiences beat planning and thought any day of the week. Thats from my inner redneck but its true.

Last edited:
... and this is from a man that just moved his family 800 miles to a new home. I am liking your style.(y)(y)(y)

The best way to save money is not to go. Go now so you have plenty of time to plan your next trip.:D

You just never know so you gotta go....

I was sitting with my cousin next to the Zambezi River and we were talking about that trip and future ones. He said something like this, "I just know that 20 years from now when I look back I won't regret going on one of these trips, but if I don't go, I will look back and regret it."

His point was that he wasn't going to look back and wish he hadn't spent the money, but that he sure as hell would regret not having the experience.

My first trip was in 2012 and am making my third trip this year. I think the golden age of modern African hunting my be now. It may get a little cheaper but its good value now.

I would go a soon as possible. Never mind the price....who knows if hunting will even be allowed? What about USFW&L stopped the importation of trophies from certain species. Go Go Go. I would not fret about a slight price increase or decrease.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Marinaabu

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.