AH member
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
PF; DU; NRA; SCI
Hello all-

I am planning my first safari hunt in the Providence of Limpopo, SA for Plains Game. I am locked into the dates of March 18- April 2nd 2017 based on my family’s availability and school spring break.

My trophy targets are Water Buck, Blue Wildebeest, Kudu, Eland, and Warthog. I am planning 5-7 days of hunting and the remaining time to tour SA with my family. I was looking for your thoughts on being able to acquire these trophies at this time of year along with any advice you would have for me.

Thank you all in advance!
RJ

RJ, congrats on the booking of your safari! Lots to look forward to. I have not hunted with this company before, but I am sure you did your research. Lots of knowledge to pull from on this site. In my opinion, there will be no problem getting these animals in 5-7 days of hunting, although I would give yourself 7 hunting days, just to make it more comfortable, plus you never know what elso may show up at a deal while in the field! Best of luck and enjoy!

RJ,
Contact @Paw Print from the forum. He is a sponsor here on AfricaHunting.com and fulfill your requirements and some!

Take Care,
Marius Goosen

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello RJ, we could help you with a hunt in the limpo for those animals. 7 days would be better for the animals on your list as the bush will be thick that time of year.

If your booked already just know it will be thick and the eland and warthog will more then liking be the tougher animals to get from your list. When you have a shorter time to hunt you just cant be as picky on trophy size if you want to get all your animals on a short hunt.
I would myself pick the hunt dates towards april for hunting and maybe do the touring first. That will give you a chance to view some animals also before you hunt. We can also help with the touring part be it kruger or some other places if you need some ideas.

If we at paw print can help just let us know and have a great trip no matter what.

Thanks Billc

Use premium Bullets like Swift A-Frames or Barnes TSX or TTSX. The 180 TTSX worked great on everything from Kudu, Zebra, Blue Wildebeest, Gemsbok etc. all 1 shot kills from my 300 WSM. Although, on Kudu I would have rather had a little more gun. Take more pictures that you think you need. The minds storage fades fast. Take many deep breaths and drink it all in. Get out of the Bakkie and walk and hunt as much as possible. You will not regret it. We had many unexpected and surprising events happen with our feet on the ground.

You should have no problem with that time frame. Although my experience eland can be tough but I shot mine in Namibia, little different hunting up their. Pieter from Paw Print has an excellent reputation here he should be able to help you no question.

You will be fine just understand you have to be up early and hunt late every day.
As mentioned above I recommend you contact Paw Print Safaris owned by Pieter Erasmus. His team can help your with everything including some tours.

Short time for that many animals unless you are just lucky, and some are. I never was that lucky. Bull eland can be a tough long hunt. I know this from personal experience having hunted them several times with no success. Maybe its just my personal nemesis but don't count on filling all those tags in 5 or even 7 days. But like I said if you are the lucky type...

Thank you all for your extremely valuable insights. I will look to see if I can accommodate a move in hunting dates to April along with refine my list/hunting days. I have not secured an outfitter but will reach out to Paw Print too to get an estimate.

Cheers!
RJ

Hello RJ, we could help you with a hunt in the limpo for those animals. 7 days would be better for the animals on your list as the bush will be thick that time of year.

If your booked already just know it will be thick and the eland and warthog will more then liking be the tougher animals to get from your list. When you have a shorter time to hunt you just cant be as picky on trophy size if you want to get all your animals on a short hunt.
I would myself pick the hunt dates towards april for hunting and maybe do the touring first. That will give you a chance to view some animals also before you hunt. We can also help with the touring part be it kruger or some other places if you need some ideas.

If we at paw print can help just let us know and have a great trip no matter what.

Thanks Billc

Billc-

I will be emailing you today with my specifics to get a quote and thoughts on my proposed March/April 2017 family safari.

Warm regards,
RJ

Zippy21,
It would be a pleasure to assist you through the import maze for a stress free experience.
We take care of everything from the beginning to end and this is the perfect time to start.
I invite you to visit our website and give us a call to go over the process. You will always get
Tara or my wife Rosella who are the operations experts that manage our seven offices....We just
added San Francisco so will be updating the website soon....
Looking forward to hearing from you.....
Regards,
Robert

zippy21,

If you are taking the family to southern Africa for a combination of hunting and touring, I would personally recommend the folks at Limcroma Safaris. They arranged a few days of bow hunting for me and then several days of touring including an elephant back game drive, a visit to a predator park, night game drives, and then concluding with 3 wonderful days in the Cape Town area. It was a fantastic trip overall. They delivered on everything promised and then some...

A nice Kudu won't be a Gimme either

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
genihi4888

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg