Hunting Outfitter in WYOMING

Well I guess I’ll be alright in 24, I have 12 points and hunting with an outfitter

Well I guess I’ll be alright in 24, I have 12 points and hunting with an outfitter
Other than paying the crazy high tag fee to go into the Special Draw.

Bigger issue…Will there be any good animals to hunt?

I have a mule deer hunt booked in western Wyoming for 2024. I am waiting to my outfitter in a couple months and see it it will be worth going on the hunt after this winter’s kill

Other than paying the crazy high tag fee to go into the Special Draw.

Bigger issue…Will there be any good animals to hunt?

I have a mule deer hunt booked in western Wyoming for 2024. I am waiting to my outfitter in a couple months and see it it will be worth going on the hunt after this winter’s kill
We will see, it’s hunting . I’m not gonna back out due to speculation.

We will see, it’s hunting . I’m not gonna back out due to speculation.
Yep

Gonna wait till he has a chance to scout a bit and assess the situation

I’ll be hunting south of Dubois . Not much scouting going to be done in that area . I’ll get the report back from this hunting season and unless a catastrophe, I’m going regardless of prices .

I applied for a NR moose tag for 2023, hoping my 21 points is enough to draw. It seems like every year I am just one or two points away from drawing. The notification will be in early May and if successful, I will hunt in Unit 25 with Bald Mountain Outfitters out of Pinedale.

If you are looking for an outfitter for a particular species or area in Wyoming, a good place to look is the annual WYOGA awards page. There is about 15 years of history and you can quickly see which outfitters produce on a consistent basis. Attached is the 2022 results with photos.

2022 Moose results from Wyoming Outfitters and Guide Association.

1680089465762.png

1680089151215.png

Attachments

• BigGameAwards-WyomingOutdoors-2022.pdf
    2.6 MB · Views: 57
Last edited:
Good luck , that is something I’ll probably never go after, shiras moose

I’ll be hunting south of Dubois . Not much scouting going to be done in that area . I’ll get the report back from this hunting season and unless a catastrophe, I’m going regardless of prices .
Yea, the prices won't deter me. It will just help insure I draw the tag. (Sitting on 10 deer points, will go into the 2024 draw with 11).

Assuming they don't change it to 90/10 in which case the points required will go way up above what I have

Look out for Grizzly bears, Day and night.

Some food for thought-you can still get an elk tag in Wyo and some other western states, it will cost you plenty but it is still possible. It might be a once in a lifetime hunt or if you are lucky, maybe you draw two elk tags in your life in Wyo. so how hurt are you really going to be to drop $2k for a once in a lifetime tag? I know yearly points et al but if you live in a state that doesn’t even have elk, then that money spent is s good deal.
We have gotten spoiled for a couple decades—be honest about it.
In my home state of utah I have drawn one good mature bull elk tag in my life-will get
One more before I die. That’s two tags in my life as a resident! So even at twice the cost, Wyo still offers another opportunity or maybe even your only one.
When I’m in Wyoming and all I see is out of state license plates, I understand why the residents are pissed! And they aren’t getting any of that tourist money, they are just competing for the same animals. Tourist Money doesn’t trickle very far-
I reached out to several outfitters for elk in Wyo. (I have 14 points I think) the average fee was $15k for a horse pack hunt-my dream. Again honest, I can’t pay it. So my option is self guided, diy and hope for the best. If I had that kind of money I would be in africa!

@Firebird I see a lot of quotes of >$10k for a horse pack trip which I don't understand. I just checked Triangle X's website and they are quoting $6,000 2x1 or $7,300 1x1. I referenced them earlier in this thread. I believe in their area you could draw with the points you have.

I was hoping to use specific outfitters recommended by people I knew or that had been recommended by sources such as the fish and game. Was not just price shopping. Also eliminated one company that got bad press when I called some of their references. I was communicating with them in early December before the application period. I had not heard of triangle x at that time

I was hoping to use specific outfitters recommended by people I knew or that had been recommended by sources such as the fish and game. Was not just price shopping. Also eliminated one company that got bad press when I called some of their references. I was communicating with them in early December before the application period. I had not heard of triangle x at that time
when are you looking to hunt?

Have a daughter that will graduate high school next year and pretty sure I am on the hook for a family vacation to celebrate. So looking at 2025.
I did request a brochure from triangle x this morning-

I hunted the first rifle hunt to catch the bulls bugling (a first for me) and did the upgrade for 1x1. There were 6 other hunters in camp, all buddies and repeat hunters hunting 2x1. Three of us had our elk on day 3 (day 1 - riding from trailhead to camp, so day 2 of hunting). The last of the 7 hunters had his elk down on day 5 (4th day hunting).

02_John and others 2012.JPG
17_First group packing out 2012.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
OK Western state residents. i have some news for you. This goes to the board of directors of the RMEF too.

Take a look at Bugle magazine and see where the banquets are that raise so much money to preserve elk habitat. A huge part of it comes from outside the elk states. I've worked banquets and helped sent thousands and thousands of dollars towards elk conservation in mostly about 3 or 4 states.

These states are turning around and telling us to "Pay up or stay the hell out!" if we want to consider hunting there. Thanks for our volunteer efforts is my response.

I'm done volunteering and contributing. Next time there's a RMEF banquet outside of Wyoming I'd ask Sy Gimme Something, or whatever his name is to come and run the banquet himself....

Outfitters deserving tags for their clients ??? that's crazy. Landowners too. I always hear the argument that the state owns the wildlife. I agree. Let the state give licenses to those it chooses and then let the outfitters and land owners pursue those who drew tags. They can kiss the license holder's where it hurts and "let the market work"

Trouble is the states will still get hunters to pay these huge license fees for now. The rest of us will forget about hunting in these states and when the anti's show up we won't be there to help.

Rant over......

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hi88vipsite

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg