Hunting Okapi?

robah

Reaction score
Hunted
Australia, U.S.A, Mexico, Canada , New Zealand, Scotland, Wales, Spain , Italy, (fmrly)Yugoslavia
Hi everyone,
I was just wondering is there anywhere I can legally hunt Okapi?
cheers

Hello there Robah,

I cant answer your question :) However i would say its not possible to hunt them legally.

" Wild status

Although okapis are not classified as endangered, they are threatened by habitat destruction and poaching. The world population is estimated at 10,000–20,000. Conservation work in the Congo includes the continuing study of okapi behaviour and lifestyle, which led to the creation in 1992 of the Okapi Wildlife Reserve. The Congo Civil War threatened both the wildlife and the conservation workers in the reserve.
There is an important captive breeding centre at Epulu, at the heart of the reserve, which is managed jointly by the Congolese Institute for Nature Conservation (ICCN) and Gillman International Conservation,[14] which in turn receives support from other organisations including UNESCO, the Frankfurt Zoological Society and Wildlife Direct as well as from zoos around the world. The Wildlife Conservation Society is also active in the Okapi Wildlife Reserve.
On June 8, 2006, scientists reported that evidence of surviving okapis in Congo's Virunga National Park had been discovered. This had been the first official okapi sighting in that park since 1959, after nearly half a century. In September 2008, the Wildlife Conservation Society reported that one of their camera traps snapped the first photo ever taken of an okapi in Virunga National Park. "

cheers

owen

Last edited:
Interesting topic, caused me to do a internet search. I hope them survive all the infortunate incidents they have occured over the years...a very unique animals, just like the Angola Giant Sables.

I saw some @ Disney in Fla this past November.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LuciaWains

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg