Hunting North American / European Game with Big Bores?

Northern Shooter

AH fanatic
Reaction score
I'm curious to hear accounts from those of you that have taken North American / European game with big bore cartridges. Whether you've never had a chance to hunt Africa, or you're someone who likes to continue hunting with big bores on your "off season."

What have you hunted?

Which cartridges/rifles were used?

How did it go? Did the cartridge seem like overkill on your chosen game? Was there over penetration? Did the game drop with a single shot? etc.

I'm planning to hunt White tail/Black Bear and Moose this fall with both .375 and .416. I'm interested to hear from others that have not only used these calibers, but also .458's, .470's, 505's etc.

Let's here how these big rounds perform at home.

I have shot pigs and coyotes with my 404. I don't think you can kill something too dead, multiple pigs have dropped with one shot. I did make a very bad shot on one that I never found. The coyote also dropped dead instantly as well.

My first year hunting in Alaska my only rifle was a Ruger M77II in 375 Ruger.

First I shot a caribou at about 225 yards with a 260 gr Nosler Partition. Damage was similar to what I saw with a 308 and a softer bullet at close range. In other words, it worked fine but it wasn't overkill. Basically I carried 10 pounds of rifle to do what my 7 pound 308 could have done. Of course I was ready for a grizzly so there was that.

Similar experience with the 375 on a black bear.

If I'm not after grizzly bears I prefer a lighter rifle. If I hunted lighter game with the 375 I'd probably try a softer bullet to see if it killed any faster.

My first year hunting in Alaska my only rifle was a Ruger M77II in 375 Ruger.

First I shot a caribou at about 225 yards with a 260 gr Nosler Partition. Damage was similar to what I saw with a 308 and a softer bullet at close range. In other words, it worked fine but it wasn't overkill. Basically I carried 10 pounds of rifle to do what my 7 pound 308 could have done. Of course I was ready for a grizzly so there was that.

Similar experience with the 375 on a black bear.

If I'm not after grizzly bears I prefer a lighter rifle. If I hunted lighter game with the 375 I'd probably try a softer bullet to see if it killed any faster.
The pair of 375/416 Rugers seem well suited for hunting in Alaska and the far north.

I've hunted all the standard NA game with the traditionally .308, 30.06, 45-70 options but wanted to try something different this year.

I have shot pigs and coyotes with my 404. I don't think you can kill something too dead, multiple pigs have dropped with one shot. I did make a very bad shot on one that I never found. The coyote also dropped dead instantly as well.
I'm guessing you weren't looking to save the hide on the coyotes?

I wasn't worried about the hides. Early November hides here are thin anyway. But honestly the hole on both sides was only caliber sized. I've had hide in way worse shape after shooting them with my 243 than my 404 does.

I shot an American bison with a .505 Gibbs (built on a Granite Mountain Arms African Magnum Mauser action). The round was a hand loaded 600Gr Northfork Cup Point Solid. He gave out within a second of getting the shot (a behind-the-shoulder heart shot). The photo can be found on my “Media” page.

Also shot a Nilgai with a .375 Holland & Holland Magnum (a Remington Model 700 custom). The round was a 300Gr Norma Oryx factory load. Frontal heart shot. He gave out in less than 10 seconds.

It can definitely work. Just think about the fact that you'll have less target resistance to open the bullet up. Want less meat damage? Use a heavier or tougher bullet. Want to flatten things as fadt as possible? Use a softer bullet and/or lighter bullet going fast. For what it's worth Speer Boottail bullets shoot very well in my 375 and they are cheap. Probably great for deer.

Shot about 10 moose a bear and some pigs with 375HH. Also a few badgers!
The 7mm RM kills faster.

I would like to note in advance that the cartridge 375 H&H Magnum does not belong to the big bores but to the same medium class as the cartridge 9,3x64 and even the cartridges 9,3x62 und 9,3x74R.

All of these cartridges caliber 9,3mm are very often used in Europe, and also some hunters make use of the cartridge 375 H&H Magnum for shooting wild Boars or Red Deers. So it's not uncommon. For me, a Big Bore is a cartridge at least caliber 10mm or 408. Such cartridges are rarely used in Europe, but in Africa, according to the circumstances, it is not uncommon to shoot small game with big bores.

Outside of Africa and in Europe, during a Wisent hunt, I shot two wild Boars with my rifle caliber 460 WBY-Magnum and a load for Big Game with a 500gr SP bullet from Hornady. Except that the holes were bigger, nothing special to note. The damage in the meat is sometimes even less than that caused by a light and soft bullet of a smaller caliber, unless one uses lighter thin-walled bullets of bigger caliber.

What about double rifles for game in North America and Europe? Are they always scoped, or are red dots used?

In Europe, especially in German speaking areas, DR are very often used for hunting, in different calibres, but mainly 8x57IRS or 9.3x74R. These weapons are almost all equipped with scopes, the others with red dots or similar. Very few hunters in our countries shoot nowadays, no matter what weapons, only with open sights.

What about double rifles for game in North America and Europe? Are they always scoped, or are red dots used?
Myself and some friends do some driven boar hunting in mainland Europe every winter. 375 doubles, 9.3x74r doubles are the main be they under and over or side by side. S/S is more prevalent.
Generally they are scoped, 1-6 or thereabouts is the most common.

Myself and some friends do some driven boar hunting in mainland Europe every winter. 375 doubles, 9.3x74r doubles are the main be they under and over or side by side. S/S is more prevalent.
Generally they are scoped, 1-6 or thereabouts is the most common.
The 375's used there, are they Flanged or belted 375 H@H?

The 375's used there, are they Flanged or belted 375 H@H?
My own 375 is belted but it’s a bolt action. I’m left handed so have little option. The doubles, one of which I used on one trip are flanged.

I am all about calibers proportionate to the game I am hunting. I suppose that is fed by hating to carry excess weight. Lugging 10lbs+ of rifle on a deer hunt is not anything I am interested in doing.

I have used a 9.3x74R to take a spot and stalk black bear, but it is as light as a typical 30-06 so I don't think it likely meets the OP's criteria. Were I to hunt driven boar in Europe, I would use the same rifle.

I’ve killed a lot of whitetail and feral pigs with my .375 Ruger Alaskan topped with a Leupold VX6 1-6. most of my hunting is done in thick brush and a 150yd shot would be stretching it, over the last 10 years or so the longest shot I’ve taken has been about 60yds. If hunting where I may need a little more reach I use my 7mm Rem Mag.
I’ve also want to shoot an American bison with my MRC .416 Rigby topped with a Trijicon RMR. Some don’t even consider a .416 or .375 big bores they consider them mediums but reserve the title of big bore to be .450 and up.

I've shot a 450 lb feral pig and a cow elk with my 500 Jeffery so far. Plan to practice on jackrabbits and take it on a bull elk hunt this fall.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ShanonBurc

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg
Living life like a lion for 1 day is better than living life like a jackal for 100 years.