Hunting Namibia but do I need paperwork to bring the rifle into South Africa

clint21

AH senior member
Reaction score
Deals & offers
Hunting reports
Africa
Hello,
I am going back again to hunt in Namibia this year, but this year i will be taking my own rifle (well try)
I will not be staying in SA ill only be in the airport for about 2hrs before i fly to Windhoek.
The question is do i need paperwork to bring the rifle into South Africa or just the paperwork for bringing the rifle into Windhoek.

Cheers Clint

Last edited by a moderator:
As long as your airline carriers has an interairline baggage agreement if you have to change airline in Jo,burg you are good to go with just the necessaries for entry into Namibia.
So if for instance you are flying SAA all the way through check everything all the way from point of departure to point of arrival (Windhoek)
Enjoy

Cheers for the info,
I will be looking at flying with Qantas then will have to fly with Namibia air so hopefully things will be fine then.

Check out the link from BRICKBURN, lots of good and pertinent information there.

Even if you are able to check your luggage all the way through to Windhoek, I would ask your Namibian hunting outfitter to supply you with a "Letter of invitation". You never know, a flight delay or cancellation may force you to stay overnight… this document will be necessary to clear customs with your rifle at that time. Also being somewhat familiar with the SAPS 520 form would be a plus if you were to have to fill out the form.

Agree with Jerome... plan for the unknown/ mishaps!! At least the Letter of Invitation from the outfitter.

Be prepared! Shit always happens, you'll just not know when and where before hand!

better safe than sorry.

Thankyou all for the information, yes i will also fill out SAPS 520 just incase the shit hits the fan. Better be safe than sorry.
So looking forward to getting back over to the great hunting of namibia

Please share your hunting safari in Namibia with us when you get back.

I hunted in Namibia last September I flew SA airlines all the way thru from New York to Johanasberg to Windhoek. No additional paper work is needed except your Namibian police paper work. But I did have paper work ready with me in the event my flight was canceled and I had to overnight in SA.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
profibrahim

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you