Hunting Lord Derby Eland

I just can't put into words how impressive this animal is.

Fantastic post and one of the best African animals to hunt. Great read.

This original article is now quite old, at least by AH standards. Still, I revisit it from time to time just to see the photos and dream. I must say, that it has not gotten any easier to hunt LD Eland.......either in logistics or price. I could not afford this hunt in the best of times, but I encourage those that can and do to report on AH. An alternative that I did this year was to hunt with Elandpro Safaris of Namibia. Many of the appealing aspects of the LDE hunt as posted by Christophe, were similar. We hunted wild eland by driving and cutting the track of a bull. The stalking that followed was very exciting, and often tiring and challenging. Some of the eland even have the orange color and many are striped, like a Livingstone or a LDE. But they are Cape Eland. Anyway, it is a poor man's alternative, and I will post a report soon. If you're interested in tracking and hunting wild eland..................."Never give up, never surrender".....FWB
IMG_0718 (1).jpg

This is a good article with some great photos. I like the photo of the heart-lungs. No long tracking problem here, with a ragged bullet hole thru the heart. This was a fine shot.
With insurrection and Ebola, terrorism and corruption rife in West Africa in general, a Lord Derby eland hunt retains its high price. Supply and demand at work here. I had hoped one day that a hunt for about 30 grand would be available, but total costs remain about twice that. And up. In my next life I will be a rich rock star.

Markhor, Marco Polo, and LD eland are the big 3 in my estimation.
thanks for the article and the fotos............................FWB
I'm with you on the big three. But please sir, may I have a huge bear and a royal elk too?

This original article is now quite old, at least by AH standards. Still, I revisit it from time to time just to see the photos and dream. I must say, that it has not gotten any easier to hunt LD Eland.......either in logistics or price. I could not afford this hunt in the best of times, but I encourage those that can and do to report on AH. An alternative that I did this year was to hunt with Elandpro Safaris of Namibia. Many of the appealing aspects of the LDE hunt as posted by Christophe, were similar. We hunted wild eland by driving and cutting the track of a bull. The stalking that followed was very exciting, and often tiring and challenging. Some of the eland even have the orange color and many are striped, like a Livingstone or a LDE. But they are Cape Eland. Anyway, it is a poor man's alternative, and I will post a report soon. If you're interested in tracking and hunting wild eland..................."Never give up, never surrender".....FWBView attachment 293956
Hunting eland in Namibia for five long days with success in the fading light of the final day, stands as one of the most memorable hunts I have done.... I'm looking forward to your report. And to hear how the animals are faring in the drought.

Hey, Rick...........I am with you on the big bear..............fortunate to have shot a lot of branch antlered bull elk, including two 7 points, but like you, the lowly cape eland that I sweated so much for, and bumbled so many stalks before final success, is a highlight from my 57 years of big game hunting. Happy to report that eland near Grootfontein are fat and sassy despite the drought. The "apple" trees, who's leaves they favor are much more drought resistant than grasses..............steaks cut from my bull sizzled with fat, and washed down with a good South African red wine, were almost like a night with Selena....................good hunting......FW Bill

Very cool article...I could imagine being right there behind the rifle. Thank you for posting so many photos, you have accumulated many pics of these royal beasts over the years. I can't wait to put my hands on one someday!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CharlineDu

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross