Hunting Lord Derby Eland in Cameroon

chashardy

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Australia/NZ
Anyone have experience hunting in Cameroon? I've been looking online at Lord Derby Eland hunts in Cameroon and was having sticker shock at the cost. Outfitters are quoting 12 day hunts at $37,000 plus trophy fees. I looked at three or four different outfitters and all were about the same price. Why is hunting Cameroon so expensive?

Logistics, distances, potential for terror and crime, desired animals.. the list goes on. We have members here who recently did the LD hunt there.

The reasons listed above sum it up pretty good I think. You can hunt a cape buffalo in nearly any country in Southern Africa with a lot of different outfitters. You can currently only hunt lord derby eland in one African country with a few outfitters that do it well. The hunts for buffalo/roan and other plains game are much more reasonable. I’m hoping to hunt there this January if travel is possible again, I’m ok with the price tag for the rarity of taking a lord derby eland and also knowing that money protects the area from human encroachment.

I have done research on options in hunting in Cameroon, last two years.
Generally, 30-40k, is average offer.
There was an option of self - guided hunt with an outfitter who unfortunately passed away.
This one was in the level of 20k. (if I remember correctly)
Self guided, as described then, was meant as hunting without PH, but with local pigmey trackers, and outfitter provides logistics.
I dont know, if anybody offers such things today.
In the meantime, security situation in Cameroon declined, so you will have to make more careful research.

I was surprised to learn that self guided hunts in few countries are still possible, it derives from french hunting tradition, and can still be found, in french speaking African countries.
However I dont think it is for everybody, a hunter should know his way around, know the language, know the country, know the people, and know how to handle logistics. I think, it is mostly for expats living there.

Anyone have experience hunting in Cameroon? I've been looking online at Lord Derby Eland hunts in Cameroon and was having sticker shock at the cost. Outfitters are quoting 12 day hunts at $37,000 plus trophy fees. I looked at three or four different outfitters and all were about the same price. Why is hunting Cameroon so expensive?
I have an affordable option in Cameroon, please email me for info.
info@spearsafaris.com
Cheers Ernest

Check NDILLA Safaris

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Huntingthewoods

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois