Hunting Knife Pictures

I am just getting started in collecting knives from custom makers. I have an Arno Bernard Kudu with giraffe bone scales and a stainless, S30V blade that I plan to take with me on my first safari in 2018.........

This knife is form a custom maker in Boone, NC named Ryan Scott (R.L. Scott Knives). He has only been on his own as a maker for a few years, but worked for a well know maker for several years before striking out on his own. I know his mother, and I wanted to see what he could do, and so I gave him the specs I wanted on a knife to take on my NWT moose and caribou hunt back in September. This knife is made form S30V stainless steel. The blade is 5.5 inches long with a custom profile. It's a drop-point hunter style profile, but with a bit more "belly" to aid in skinning duties. It sports a false top edge, and his initials filed in the spine for a touch mark. It has a Black Walnut handle with a oiled finish, copper liners, and a copper and brass mosaic pin. I asked him to etch a grizzly paw on the knife, and I thought it turned out nicely. Needless to say I was very pleased especially in lieu of the fact that he got it back to me for my hunt in a very timely fashion, and on a short turn-around. He was very good to work with, and I plan on having him make me a few more. I was able to use it to help skin and quarter my moose I downed in the Mackenzie Mountains, and it performed flawlessly. It was in the field with me for the duration of the hunt, and it held up very well in the elements.

IMG_1893.jpg

Here are my sticking knives, fdick use to get used all the time and the kizlayar is a spare

This is a blade I made/modified for skinning and processing

Attachments

• 5nnsxqM.jpg
    5nnsxqM.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 185
  • 8ohlgOa.jpg
    8ohlgOa.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 235
Last edited by a moderator:
Thought I'd revive an old thread...

Here are my favorites. First, a knife set made by Rodney Watts of Hot Springs, SD with matching mammoth tooth grips.

1-jpg.184255

12-jpg.184266

Next up, a knife by F. Van Wyk that I picked up on my last safari, with giraffe bone handle. Coincidently, we hunted giraffe on that safari, so, kind of appropriate.

full

full

My old favorite cheap s days razor sharp for a long time. I've had mine for years. It's been used for everything from nutting Mickey bulls up to skinning sambar.
A French Opinel carbon folder.
20200614_111807.jpg

Not flash or fancy just plain gets the job done

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edwardsrailcarcom00

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg