Hunting in Zululand

Billy Stewart

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
Hello all Billy here just wondering if any members have hunted Zululand and if so can you tell me about your hunt and share any info? As some of you may know i won the hunt with Leeukop Safaris and am really looking forward to it. Have been in contact with Neil trying to get it all arranged. Looking forward to any comments or helpful suggestions.

Hello Billy and congratulations. I have only been to Africa four times but every time was to a different province or country. That said, Zululand is my favorite so far. I hunted buffalo very near where you are to hunt. It is a beautiful area with mountains, valleys and lake Jozini which you must fish if you get the chance. I do not know what is in your package but I saw some great nyala, kudu, reedbuck (both mountain and common), buffalo, rhino, and tons of other game. On Jozini we saw quite a bit of plains game along with crocs, hippos, rhinos, and elephants. If you look under fishing on this forum I wrote a story titled Tiger Tales about our day on Jozini. I plan on returning to Zululand after I have seen a bit more of Africa. If you would like to talk about this PM me and I would be glad to discuss this with you. Again, congratulations and good hunting. Jim

Jaustin that was a great reading i really enjoyed that! Thank you so much for sharing your story with me i cant wait to get there. Now i have one more thing i will have to do fishing in Africa!

HI

Congrats on the prize !! Yes if you get a chance to fish make sure you catch one of these - Tiger Fish

I also found some nice pics of Natal.

good luck !!

owen

Attachments

• tigerfish_g_laubscher_crw_4164_01.jpg
    tigerfish_g_laubscher_crw_4164_01.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 139
  • 565df32896c230d8ce7fc7f2260499d99c6gvwqtyskrgsedlwp45c0e20b8c6e0.jpg
    565df32896c230d8ce7fc7f2260499d99c6gvwqtyskrgsedlwp45c0e20b8c6e0.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 145
  • explore-kwazulu-natal3.jpg
    explore-kwazulu-natal3.jpg
    175.6 KB · Views: 164
  • NaturalVegetationZ.jpg
    NaturalVegetationZ.jpg
    293.5 KB · Views: 180
  • pd253773.jpg
    pd253773.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 149
  • south_africa_gods_window_kwazulu_natal-jpg.jpg
    south_africa_gods_window_kwazulu_natal-jpg.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 165
  • umdloti.jpg
    umdloti.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 128
Last edited:
Owen thanks for the pics it looks to be spectacular country. Looks like it has very diverse terrain more rolling hills and mountains than flat open country.:D

hi

HI

Thats RSA for you - from desert landscapes to jungle !!! We have it all !

Good luck ! You're gonna love it !!!

cheers Owen

Congrats on your amazing prize Billy ! Zululand is breathtaking. Hope you bag a monster Njala on your trip. Enjoy !

Pongola area is noted for big Nyala,you should hold out for no less than 27".

Other animals endemic to the area are Bush Pig and Red Duiker.Take a Bush Pig if you can,they are a unique trophy,and few hunters have one.I like the little guys and you should have no problem with Gray(Common)Duiker(inexpensive) in the area,and Red Duiker if you can afford it.

I have not posted photos here before; so PM me if you want some land scapes taken from the hills overlooking Pongola reserve and leave me an Email address.

Jozini Dam;the flat in the fore ground is the north part of Pongola(I don't think your outfitter uses this area)
IMG_0149.jpg

Where you are is in the far hills past the sugar cane fields,that is the Pongola river in the middle of the frame.
IMG_0199.jpg

The enterance to Pongola,they have had Leopard poachers there for some time.They had a major player caught while I was hunting the property next door.
IMG_0238.jpg

Bush Pig,male
southafrica2007076.jpg

Dinsdale

Attachments

• IMG_0149.jpg
    IMG_0149.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 131
  • IMG_0199.jpg
    IMG_0199.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 107
  • IMG_0238.jpg
    IMG_0238.jpg
    131.4 KB · Views: 125
  • southafrica2007076.jpg
    southafrica2007076.jpg
    176.9 KB · Views: 110
Dinsdale thanks for the pics looks like a beautiful place i will get my info to you would love to see more pics!! Keep the info and pics coming guys!!:D

Pongola Game Reserve.

Hi Billy,

I bet that Dinsdale was hunting with our neighbor ( Harloo Safaris ) and the picture of the Pongola Game Reserve Gate, it is the Main gate of our farm. You can expect to see the same picture of the lake a few times while hunting with us, that very same lake forms the natural boundaries of our farm.

This is indeed our area.

Small world!!

You are correct...figured you would know where I was.;)

Small world,LOL

Do you hunt the north side of N2,the flat between Harloo (where that big boma is) the road and Swaziland?

Just curious....

Dinsdale

Hi Dinsdale,

No that is government area. Our area stretches from the Pongola Game Reserve gate further south towards Hluhluwe.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edwardsrailcarcom00

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg