AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Member of
SCI
Hunted
Namibia
Hunting in Tanzania, First Professional Hunters

The first professional hunters came in 1913. They found the wildlife plentiful, especially the lions, but saw no elephants. Seven years later, an American arrived in a strange new contraption known as a Ford motor-car and news of the wonders of the Serengeti had reached the outside world. Because the Hunting of lions made them so scarce (they were considered 'vermin'), it was decided to make a partial Game Reserve in the area in 1921 and a full one in 1929. With the growing awareness of the need for conservation, it was expanded and upgraded to a National Park in 1951. Eight years later the Ngorongoro Conservation Area was established in the south-east as a separate unit.

Attached is a copy of an extract from Arusha (Brochure of the Northern Province & Its' Capital Town) dated 1929 - The Hunter's Paradise

Look also at some of the vintage safari and African tribal pictures that I posted in the photo gallery.

Attachments

• hunting-tanzania-01.jpg
    hunting-tanzania-01.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 117
  • hunting-tanzania-02.jpg
    hunting-tanzania-02.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 112
  • hunting-tanzania-03.jpg
    hunting-tanzania-03.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 109
  • lion-hunting.jpg
    lion-hunting.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 141
  • hunting-lion.jpg
    hunting-lion.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 210
Thanks for posting.

I really enjoyed reading that.

Safari Hunter,

Unique portfolios of those times and rare snaps , thanks for posting them , Tanzania that time must have been a hunters paradise apart.

Monish

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Huntingthewoods

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois