Hunting in Ohio

Discussion in 'Hunting USA & Canada' started by Northwest9, May 22, 2018.

1. Northwest9

Northwest9 AH Senior Member

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SCI, SSAA
    Hunted:
    Australia, NZ, Fiji
    My wife's godfather lives in Ohio, and has been asking us to bring the kids and visit them. its been one of those things we are "going to do" but never got around to

Im thinking next year or 2020, however, if we are going, I want to have a chance to hunt while I'm over there.

As an Aussie, its often hard to work out the seasons, tags, species available per state etc

Is anyone on here from Ohio who can tell me what I can hunt, as a non local, and what time of year?

2. 375 Ruger Fan

375 Ruger Fan AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA
    Hunted:
    Namibia, Zimbabwe, South Africa (Eastern Cape), Alaska, TX, LA, MO, OH, MT, ID, WA, Canada (Yukon)
    I lived in Ohio as a teenager. A lot of big deer in the Buckeye state. Weird hunting laws, so be sure to read and understand them.

http://wildlife.ohiodnr.gov/hunting...trapping-regulations/deer-hunting-regulations

Straight-walled cartridge rifles in the following calibers: New this year! All straight-walled cartridge calibers from a minimum of .357 to a maximum of .50. Shotguns and straight-walled cartridge rifles can be loaded with no more than three shells in the chamber and magazine combined.

3. Buckdog

Buckdog AH Enthusiast

Video/Photo:
    I live in ohio and the hunting regs are very complicated to be sure go to the ohio DNR web site and read them. Gun deer season for instance open the Monday after thanksgiving which is foolish as it is past the rut and on a Monday so people have to take off of work. the 3 shells in gun thing is another BS rule and be careful with that one the magazine has to be plugged etc so no way the total shells including one in the chamber cant exceed 3 or you get a fine!
    My suggestion is that hopefully you are good to go with archery or cross bow as the season there is liberal like oct 1st to jan.
    Yes there are some very big deer mostly on the eastern side of the state and there is some public hunting land in the east and south east.
    If you want a chance at a big buck hunt archery oct 31st to nov15th that's prime rut and the big boys are moving and stupid then.
    So there ya go if you need anything more let me know and we can trade info as I want to go to Australia and vacation/hunt.

JPbowhunter and 375 Ruger Fan like this.

4. 375 Ruger Fan

375 Ruger Fan AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA
    Hunted:
    Namibia, Zimbabwe, South Africa (Eastern Cape), Alaska, TX, LA, MO, OH, MT, ID, WA, Canada (Yukon)
    @Buckdog Does Ohio still make hunters pin their license on their back? I always thought this made people look like a whitetail.

5. Buckdog

Buckdog AH Enthusiast

Video/Photo:
    No, back tags were required in several states many decades ago my friend. don't know if there are any states that still require backtags?
    didn't have to wear hunter orange long ago and could shoot ducks with lead shot back in the day too!:A Big Hello: now I have aged myself that's not fair!

6. gillettehunter

gillettehunter AH ENABLER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    Namibia, Kyrgyzstan(2) South Africa(2) New Zealand
    Our Aussie inquirer might also be interested in Turkey. I'm sure that there are some available there. Do you have hogs? Not sure if he is into wingshooting, but I'm sure there is some duck and goose hunting available too. Just thinking out loud....
    Bruce

7. Jfet

Jfet AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Outdoor Tomorrow Foundation,NRA, DSC
    Hunted:
    Texas, Oklahoma, Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia, Namibia, and now Vancouver Island
    The best way to get to Ohio is through Texas. Stop spend a day or two. Visit the Alamo and do some hunting in Texas.

You are coming a long way to visit some very special people. However, give yourself some more time to visit more of North America than just Ohio. Planning is one of the greatest joys of traveling.(y)

375 Ruger Fan likes this.

8. meigsbucks

meigsbucks AH Senior Member

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SCI, NRA
    Hunted:
    Zimbabwe
    Following up on what Buckdog said, if you hunt during the deer gun season, you can use a shotgun with a slug, a rifle or handgun using a straight walled or straight tapered cartridge or a muzzle loader.
    There is a good deer population with some real trophies to be had. Archery is the way to go in the Buckeye state... Long season and hunt the rut.
    There is also good turkey hunting. There is a month long spring season that just ended Sunday. There is also a fall season in October.
    As Buckdog said check out the Ohio DNR website: ohiodnr.gov

9. Northwest9

Northwest9 AH Senior Member

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SCI, SSAA
    Hunted:
    Australia, NZ, Fiji
    turkey might be the go... ive heard a lot about turkey on steve rinellas pod casts

there is so much available to hunt in the US and Canada, i just dont know where to start. I really like whitetail and mule deer, Elk is priced out of my budget, would love black bear and wolf

in the end, i think it is probably wise for me to line up an outfitter, and plan the trip around that, rather than try to tack a DIY hunt onto a family trip, for the first hunt in the US.

Maybe if we all fly over together, visit the family, do the tourist thing, and maybe hunt squirrels and coyotes, then they fly back, and i go for a few days hunting with an outfitter, before flying back myself

10. 70worm

70worm AH Member

No hogs or wingshooting in Ohio. BUT! Groundhog hunting is good if you like long distance shooting? And there is a groundhog guide in Ohio, but book him now if your interested.

11. Tony Perkins

Tony Perkins New Member

Member of:
    Hunters Helping Heroes
    Hunted:
    OH, MI, PA, NJ, NY, TX, CO, AZ, AK, KS, AR
    Northwest- I've lived and hunted in OH most my life. There is some great hunting and fishing here. Most anytime of the year. Maybe it's because I grew up here but I don't think the regulations are that complex. There is some great public hunting for big game but wing shooting is best done on someones lease or a hunt club. PM me and I'll help you out.