Hunting in Malawi?

Huntingdaddy

Reaction score
Hunted
Norway
End of this year my wife is headed to Lilongwe, Malawi for an exchange study-program. I'll be heading there for the last three weeks of December.

As an avid hunter since 3 years and fisher since I was a kid, I'm always up for new challenges. After doing some research on Google I've found out that hunting in Malawi is obviously not banned, but not finding anybody who offers it. Or at least not anymore as I found some older articles (+5-8 years) Saw one article posted here regarding a conservation project only.

So my question is if there is some possibility for hunting in Malawi, e.g. crocodile, nyala, blue wildebeest or similar? Am also game for fowl-hunting if possible. Or would I have to travel to Zambia? Only Africa experience I've had, is living/working 2 years in Kenya, but there it's course banned there.

The only registered PH I know in Malawi is Derek Mc Pherson. I will try get his email for you.

Simon, I have Derek's email and I can send it to you. I don't know anyone that doing hunting there anymore, better crossing the Chipata border to Zambia or Moz and arrange a safari on the Zambian or Moz side.

Michael

Thanks Mike, I have Derek on whatsapp. Moz is closed for hunting in December, so guess Zambia better option.

Huntingdaddy, sorry I miss that you wrote December. The whole area is weather risky in December and I'm not very keen to booking during this time because the rain season. Sometime the rains come later in December and also some times only during the night and nice weather during the day, but it can also rain nonstop for days ! Better find another time of the year to hunting in this region...
Michael

Welcome to AH sir.

End of this year my wife is headed to Lilongwe, Malawi for an exchange study-program. I'll be heading there for the last three weeks of December.

As an avid hunter since 3 years and fisher since I was a kid, I'm always up for new challenges. After doing some research on Google I've found out that hunting in Malawi is obviously not banned, but not finding anybody who offers it. Or at least not anymore as I found some older articles (+5-8 years) Saw one article posted here regarding a conservation project only.

So my question is if there is some possibility for hunting in Malawi, e.g. crocodile, nyala, blue wildebeest or similar? Am also game for fowl-hunting if possible. Or would I have to travel to Zambia? Only Africa experience I've had, is living/working 2 years in Kenya, but there it's course banned there.
Contact Bob Kern at The Hunting Consortium. If anyone can set you up on a hunt in places like this is him. He will also tell you of its dangerous or otherwise unadviseable. In a place like Malawi you want a professional to keep you out of trouble.
Regards,
Philip

Derek and I had been chatting a few years ago about him opening croc hunting there. He shut the hunting area down, as the human encroachment was too much and he could not provide the product the was hoping for. He was working with the Malawian government to get a new area with less population in the area, but he was not too optimistic.

Derek said to me last night, he's closed and their is no organised hunting in Malawi.

Derek and I had been chatting a few years ago about him opening croc hunting there. He shut the hunting area down, as the human encroachment was too much and he could not provide the product the was hoping for. He was working with the Malawian government to get a new area with less population in the area, but he was not too optimistic.

the country is so overpopulated and in such a mess (putting it politely!!) that hunting will never be an option again i would have thought......... https://www.africahunting.com/members/patsyzambia.4082/sister has just left there and moved to zambia, and said about the only trees left in most places are mango as people can eat them, so if patsy chimes in she might be able to give better info .....its in a real mess .

the country is in a real mess......@patsyzambia sister recently left and moved to zambia, so if patsy chimes in she will be able to give opinion on the state of the country ,but not somewhere i would be rushing off to in a hurry........

A few years ago this is the country where Madonna went to get children until the government tried to say she didn't have proper paperwork to adopt them!

Thanks fellas for your replies. It's a pity for the wildlife when conservation isn't on the top priority list. Will look into either crossing over to the neighbouring countries then or just settling for bringing my fishing gear instead.

That time of the year you will be better off fishing than hunting in my opinion.

@CAustin , just last week Madonna adopted more kid/kids from Malawi.

I know a few locals in Malawi, they have shot some monster crocodiles.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EllieBoatm

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross