SOUTH AFRICA: Hunting In Eastern Cape With Allan Schenk Safari & The Kalahari With Cheetau Safaris

BMD

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
2qnw8bk.jpg

This was our third trip to Africa we had previously hunted with Omujeve in Namibia and Cheetau in the Limpopo region. Our camera man had recommended Allan Schenk Safari for a more challenging free range hunt in the Mountains if he Eastern Cape. Kacee’s main goal was to harvest lechwe and the springbok and red heartebeest that had eluded her. So we booked our flights this time deciding to split the trip up and fly Lufthansa. We were also taking our own rifles. The trip through Germany was a nice change. After making it to Jberg we flew SA airlines to the eastern cape and back to JBerg where we drove to the Kalahari for her lioness hunts. Upon arrival at Jberg we were met with Nadine another PH that works for Allan for the 2 hr drive to ranch. We had zero issues with the guns. Upon arrival at the ranch we were greeted by Allan and it was like family from the start. Also Richard Leonard and his crew were there who we had worked with Kacee in the past. The lodge is nice with lots trophies and well maintained. Very nice fire pit and cold castle lite. Ken Truesdale has arrived days ahead of us who I have been come friends with over the years on social media and was fantastic to meet and hunt with him. After fantastic dinner and some campfire stories we made plan for The following morning to travel about 1.5 hours for Kacee to hunt lechwe. The next morning after checking the rifles the hunt was on. This part of Africa is not like we had seen before it is truly proper hunting spot and stalk in the mountains. It has breath taking views and is challenging with the loose rocks and the up and down on the stalks. Some of stalks were 3-4 hours and it was very challenging. Allan does a fantastic job and moves up and down the hills like a mountain goat. After a very tough stalk on lechwe and getting hung up for hour allowing spring buck to pass to avoid spooking the lechwe he got Kacee in position to take her dream animal a very nice lechwe.

15zi92c.jpg

She did a fantastic job and was extremely pleased with the hunt and the challenge of her first stalk in the Easter cape. The reward from such a challenging stalk she was grinning from ear to ear. She absolutely loved the challenge. After some high fives and picture taking I noticed a springbok across the draw on the other side of the hill coming down and Allan glasses and said Kacee get your gun. She laid prone from where we were and The PH said little over 200 you can take the shot if you are comfortable. Kacee squeezed off a round the springbok went straight up in the air and expired inside 20 yds as the trackers went to retrieve we couldn’t believe we had gotten so lucky on a nice ram.

2wfpo49.jpg

sltnqv.jpg

What a first day in the eastern cape. We saw Black Wildebeest, Mountain Reedbuck, impala, gemsbok, bontebok, Kudu, Baboon, giraffe, zebra, warthog, Vaal rhebuck, and few others I am sure I am leaving out. After trip back to the lodge we had fantastic dinner and campfire. We chose to hunt all day and the ladies did fantastic job packing sandwiches and meatballs for lunch. Kacee and I talked that night as we were both tired and worn out from the excitement about what a true challenging hunt this was. This was a lot more physical and challenging hunt. Good place to show you the accomodations.
2lo2fd5.jpg

302peu0.jpg

21jnmlt.jpg

123b7f5.jpg

As the days went by we hunted the hills and we got more accustomed to the thinner air. If you are looking for a proper spot and stalk hunt this is a fantastic place with lots of different conservations. We wanted a cape Kudu but only a giant and will return for the cape kudu and hopefully they open up the permits for aardwolf that was denied this trip.
During our ten days with Allan at Allan Schenk Safari Kacee harvested the beautiful red heartebeest, a fantastic Mountain Reedbuck. She harvest her first two baboons finishing the hunt with the largest baboon we had seen. We spent a lot of time looking for a giant Kudu passing lots of beautiful mature bulls. She was able to take her first warthog in beautiful spot and stalk.
2q0o7yv.jpg

160vlnn.jpg

Her double baboon with one shot
34y1f6u.jpg

2r5dw78.jpg

Outside dinner with fire
k4yuea.jpg

The eastern cape is definitely a challenging and rewarding hunt. Allan Schenk Safari has some fantastic properties and take really good care of their guests. The accomodations were great and the people were fantastic. They are like family now and will be staying with us in Texas very soon. Allan is a straight shooter and a man of his word, he went above and beyond to make sure we were taken care of. He did a fantastic job with Kacee and working with her in challenging stalls of the eastern cape. The staff was top notched. The trackers did a great job and work extremely hard getting your animals from tough areas to the truck. The hunts were filmed so I don’t want to give away too much as I will be posting videos. Overall It was fantastic and when we were leaving it was not good bye but see you soon. Could not have asked for more from an outfitter. Allan is a true hunter and loves what he is doing. If you are looking for a challenging rewarding hunt in the Eastern Cape you will look a long time to find a better guy. After leaving Allan we headed to to the Kalahari to meet with Werner from Cheetau Safari who met us in JBerg and is a good friend of ours now after hunting with him in the past. After 6 hour drive to Kalahari and stop for burgers on the way it was late when we arrived to very nice accomodations and lodge. The next morning we went out to let Kacee shoot the 375 and she shot perfect with Werner’s 375 so we loaded up with two trackers and two ph’s into the Kalahari. After driving for some time the trackers found tracks as we got off the truck and headed into the bush it was little more intense than a normal hunt. After stalking and tracking we bumped the cat a few times. She didn’t seem to pleased with us. And as we were tracking the tracker pointed behind us and she was about 60yds behind us she had circled us somehow Kacee turned and got on the sticks and made perfect shot dropping the cat. It was a very intense and humbling experience for her to harvest such a majestic animal in the Kalahari. The cat moved through the brush and grass only giving us glimpses as we were tracking. Definitely a hunt we will never forget
6f5ijt.jpg

After a great lunch and afternoon of celebration and riding looking at beards of animals in the Kalahari which is flat and sandy and more what you think of when thinking of Africa we had fantastic appetizer and dinner. The food was fabulous and we sat out by the fire discussing the days happenings. Couldn’t have ask for a better ending to a hunt. As we talked I decided since the we didn’t harvest a Kudu in the cape let’s get up in the morning and get Kacee a Kudu and the ole man wanted a big blue wildebeest to end the trip. The Kalahari is more ride and spot and then stalk. The last day in the Kalahari we were blessed with Kacee passing a couple kudu early we spotted a Kudu stepping off in brush and Kacee had seen the curls and wanted this bull if possible. After perfect plan came together she had the kudu she has wanted with big curls.
2nishup.jpg

Later that afternoon we saw a heard of blue and the ph Francois driving the truck said you need to get on that blue and take him, as we got into position I was able to the big blue I had always wanted.
1z565uc.jpg

This was the last animal for this hunt. We had a fantastic trip and if anyone has questions or need information please feel free to contact me.

Attachments

• 1z565uc.jpg
    1z565uc.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 290
  • 2lo2fd5.jpg
    2lo2fd5.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 305
  • 2nishup.jpg
    2nishup.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 307
  • 2q0o7yv.jpg
    2q0o7yv.jpg
    114.3 KB · Views: 300
  • 2r5dw78.jpg
    2r5dw78.jpg
    188.7 KB · Views: 632
  • 2wfpo49.jpg
    2wfpo49.jpg
    141.9 KB · Views: 491
  • 6f5ijt.jpg
    6f5ijt.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 315
  • 15zi92c.jpg
    15zi92c.jpg
    124.9 KB · Views: 941
  • 21jnmlt.jpg
    21jnmlt.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 303
  • 34y1f6u.jpg
    34y1f6u.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 302
  • 123b7f5.jpg
    123b7f5.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 323
  • 160vlnn.jpg
    160vlnn.jpg
    164.9 KB · Views: 375
  • 302peu0.jpg
    302peu0.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 291
  • k4yuea.jpg
    k4yuea.jpg
    128.7 KB · Views: 329
  • sltnqv.jpg
    sltnqv.jpg
    161.5 KB · Views: 494
Last edited by a moderator:
What a great hunt! Like I said in the reedbuck video thread, that girl already has more Africa experience than a large number of us on AH! Great Blue Wildebeest by the way. I am hunting the Eastern Cape next week and they aren't on my contract list, but the more I see of them, the more I want to add one on! Now get those videos posted!

Reactions: BMD
What a great hunt! Like I said in the reedbuck video thread, that girl already has more Africa experience than a large number of us on AH! Great Blue Wildebeest by the way. I am hunting the Eastern Cape next week and they aren't on my contract list, but the more I see of them, the more I want to add one on! Now get those videos posted!
Will do waiting on them to come in from the camera guy. I took the blue in Kalahari but we did see a giant blue in the eastern cape as well

She has now taken 21 or 22 species herself. She absolutely loves Africa.

That young lady is a hunting machine! Congratulations to her and you for such a grand adventure!

What a great hunt, a very impressive young lady! Congrats to you both!

Congrats to both of you, a great hunt with very good trophies !

Big smiles on your daughter say it all. What a great hunt. My 4 year old has already told me she wants a Kudu so I have to take her next time. LOL

It is awesome that you are sharing Africa with you'r daughter!
Hunting Africa is special but I would have to imagine its ten times better with your daughter by your side!
Congrats!!

Congratulations to you both.
You shared some great experiences and I'm glad you shared the tale with us.
Thanks.

Thanks it is always memories for a lifetime

That girl can shoot! Looks like an amazing experience and it definitely turned me on to Mountain Reedbuck.

That girl can shoot! Looks like an amazing experience and it definitely turned me on to Mountain Reedbuck.
Thanks. The meat was excellent. The hunt challenging and rewarding.

Looks like a great time! Congrats on the hunt and thanks for sharing!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LucaFitzgi

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross